I'm deeply troubled...the devil is laughing

Okay, it goes like this:

Last Friday, I tried to confess all the sins I could remember. I was absolved. After a few hours later, I fell again and commited a couple venial sins PLUS remembered a couple more sins I forgot about while talking to the priest. Planned to go to Confession Saturday because the 20th was the big day!

Went to Confession for the second time on Sat. and confessed the sins I commited the previous day and the ones I forgot about on Friday.

On Sunday was the big day, I knew I was absolved from all sins. Recieved the Eucharist and was not aware of any sins all day Sunday.

Now Tuesday I just remembered a maybe-maybe-not mortal sin that I totally FORGOT and was UNAWARE of!! I was deeply troubled and was more scrupulous than ever and couldn’t remember if I said that sin and was even MORE scrupulous that I had to dig in the trashcan after shredding the “list of sins” and trying to find if I confessed that or not!!! See how crazy I am?

Turned out I DID confess that Friday and thought that the devil was getting on my case. GRRR!:mad: I also thought I was being a too-scrupulous young lady.

However, I was more deeply troubled when I just remembered another sin and hope that I didn’t commit a sacralige by recieving the Eucharist even though I was UNAWARE of it.

See how scruplous I am? Therefore, I was planning to go to a couple Daily Masses this week PLUS to the Thanksgiving Mass tomorrow but now I can’t because I just remembered another sin and WILL NOT recieve the Eucharist until I know I’m absoloved.

Is this also normal for a convert or is the devil doing everything and anything he can do to get me to be scrupulous than ever as well as not want me to go to Daily Mass?

Please! Stop torturing yourself with this. If you went to confession and confessed all the mortal sins you could remember you are absolved of ALL YOUR SINS!!! You DO NOT have to go for every venial sin nor if you forgot a sin because all that was absolved at your last confession. You may confess the ones you forgot so that your confessor can give you guidance, but ALL YOUR SINS HAVE BEEN FORGIVEN!!! Go to Mass and receive the Eucharist with a clear conscience–not because you feel you are forgiven but because Jesus promised you forgiveness in the sacrament of reconciliation. What you are really doing by being so scrupulous is telling Jesus his promises can’t be kept–that he didn’t mean to make them. But don’t go all scrupulous over that, either, please! It’s no sin to be confused, you know. Also, when you say the general confession at the beginning of Mass, that covers any venial sins you may have committed since your last confession, so go and receive, for crying out loud!!!

[quote=Paris Blues]Is this also normal for a convert or is the devil doing everything and anything he can do to get me to be scrupulous than ever as well as not want me to go to Daily Mass?
[/quote]

YES it’s normal. the devil will remind you about something you did when you were 3 and OH BOY the guilt. Paris, let it go dear. God loves you. You have joined the most beautiful faith there is. Don’t spoil the expierence by picking yourself apart.Re-read DELLA’s message and go to communion.

Don’t be too hard on yourself. God Bless you,
Davis
(a fellow convert)

[quote=Della]Please! Stop torturing yourself with this. If you went to confession and confessed all the mortal sins you could remember you are absolved of ALL YOUR SINS!!! You DO NOT have to go for every venial sin nor if you forgot a sin because all that was absolved at your last confession. You may confess the ones you forgot so that your confessor can give you guidance, but ALL YOUR SINS HAVE BEEN FORGIVEN!!! Go to Mass and receive the Eucharist with a clear conscience–not because you feel you are forgiven but because Jesus promised you forgiveness in the sacrament of reconciliation. What you are really doing by being so scrupulous is telling Jesus his promises can’t be kept–that he didn’t mean to make them. But don’t go all scrupulous over that, either, please! It’s no sin to be confused, you know. Also, when you say the general confession at the beginning of Mass, that covers any venial sins you may have committed since your last confession, so go and receive, for crying out loud!!!
[/quote]

You’re right, I am torturing myself - not on purpose though.

But seriously, I REALLY don’t want to recieve the Eucharist with mortal sins in me! I have a sin in the back of my mind right this minute that I didn’t confess because I was unaware of it at the time and don’t want to go to Mass tomorrow because I don’t know if it’s a mortal sin or not!

If it’s not a mortal sin, that’s great but hey, I’ve never heard the parish I go to say the “I confess to Almight God and to you my brothers and sisters that I have sinned through my own fault…” except only two times (and I’ve been attending there for a year now) and I ain’t gonna take a risk!

[quote=Paris Blues]You’re right, I am torturing myself - not on purpose though.

But seriously, I REALLY don’t want to recieve the Eucharist with mortal sins in me! I have a sin in the back of my mind right this minute that I didn’t confess because I was unaware of it at the time and don’t want to go to Mass tomorrow because I don’t know if it’s a mortal sin or not!

If it’s not a mortal sin, that’s great but hey, I’ve never heard the parish I go to say the “I confess to Almight God and to you my brothers and sisters that I have sinned through my own fault…” except only two times (and I’ve been attending there for a year now) and I ain’t gonna take a risk!
[/quote]

If you didn’t remember the sin, you are absolved. Don’t worry. If you deliberately witheld the sin, you are not absolved. We both know that you didn’t deliberately withold the sin. You’re fine. Since we know that you didn’t name it because you forgot, that’s ok. And since you made a list we know that you were duly diligent in examining your conscience prior to confession, so you aren’t culpable for failing to remember it in the least bit.

Your scrupulosity may be driving you to doubt the effectiveness of Christ’s sacraments, and His duly appointed ministers! When the priest says “I absolve you,” it really works, don’t doubt it, and go in the joy of knowing that your sins truly have been forgiven before God.

As for the Confiteor, I do like reciting it, but the priest has the choice of using the Confiteor, or the Kyrie for the Penitential Act. In any case, receiving the Eucharist cleanses you of your venial sin, does it not?

[quote=RobNY]If you didn’t remember the sin, you are absolved. Don’t worry. If you deliberately witheld the sin, you are not absolved. We both know that you didn’t deliberately withold the sin. You’re fine. Since we know that you didn’t name it because you forgot, that’s ok. And since you made a list we know that you were duly diligent in examining your conscience prior to confession, so you aren’t culpable for failing to remember it in the least bit.

Your scrupulosity may be driving you to doubt the effectiveness of Christ’s sacraments, and His duly appointed ministers! When the priest says “I absolve you,” it really works, don’t doubt it, and go in the joy of knowing that your sins truly have been forgiven before God.

As for the Confiteor, I do like reciting it, but the priest has the choice of using the Confiteor, or the Kyrie for the Penitential Act. In any case, receiving the Eucharist cleanses you of your venial sin, does it not?
[/quote]

It’s not that I think that I’m NOT forgiven. The problem is, I know I’m forgiven for the sins I confessed and remembered, right? Well, if there’s a sin I remember but not at the time of the confession, I’m not forgiven of THAT sin because I didn’t confess it. Until I confess it I will be forgiven, correct? Make sense?

Therefore, I’m not going to Mass tomorrow because I’m not sure if it’s a mortal sin!!! If I found out it’s only a venial sin, I would go.

[quote=Paris Blues]It’s not that I think that I’m NOT forgiven. The problem is, I know I’m forgiven for the sins I confessed and remembered, right? Well, if there’s a sin I remember but not at the time of the confession, I’m not forgiven of THAT sin because I didn’t confess it. Until I confess it I will be forgiven, correct? Make sense?

Therefore, I’m not going to Mass tomorrow because I’m not sure if it’s a mortal sin!!! If I found out it’s only a venial sin, I would go.
[/quote]

One thing I want to point out is whether or not you receive the Eucharist, you can go to Mass – Communion is not the only reason Catholics would go to Mass. You’re forgiven when you make a good faith confession, even if you forgot something…just mention it next time you go. I’m not going to advise you one way or the other to receive Communion, but don’t mistake the fact that you can still go to daily Mass and NOT receive Communion because you’re primarily there to praise and worship God. If you have the day off and the hour open, I’d go to Mass tomorrow.

Penitent

All right peoples for your info I totally forgot to tell the preist BOTH Saturday and Friday that I did not forgive people like I should’ve! There, maybe you can tell me if that’s mortal or not.

I just remembered that yesterday and thought, great I can’t go to Mass now and recieve the Eucharist until I go to Confession. But you guys are telling me I am absolved when I went to Confession (what - for THAT one too even though I forgot about it?) but…

Not going to mass on Sunday, is a mortal Sin, unless by circumstance you were unable to attend through no fault of your own.

[quote=Superstar905]Not going to mass on Sunday, is a mortal Sin, unless by circumstance you were unable to attend through no fault of your own.
[/quote]

Well, I HAD to go Sunday because that’s when I was getting Confirmed! Of course I had to be there!

I’m really not talking about Sunday Mass, I’m talking about sins that were forgotten…

All right peoples…

I can either go to Mass and recieve the Eucharist (and still be aware of the sins I forgot and totally were unaware of during Confession) and HOPE that I can TRUST on God’s Mercy when recieving the Eucharist (whether the sin I forgot were mortal or not) or NOT go and wait until Saturday to be absolved.

Which one?

My gosh, I really need Michael the archangel to kick Satan out of my face!

[quote=Paris Blues]It’s not that I think that I’m NOT forgiven. The problem is, I know I’m forgiven for the sins I confessed and remembered, right? Well, if there’s a sin I remember but not at the time of the confession, I’m not forgiven of THAT sin because I didn’t confess it. Until I confess it I will be forgiven, correct? Make sense?

[/quote]

Hey Paris, you said above, that if you are in Mortal Sin, you are not going to Mass. THat is wrong. You must go to mass, just don’t recieve the Eucharist if you are in Mortal Sin…that said, if you forgot to mention a past Mortal Sin, you are forgiven, as others have stated, providing you truly forgot, and didn’t intentionally withhold it from the priest.

So go to Mass, enjoy, and recieve Jesus happily with a clear conscience.

I don’t know if anyone’s already said this, but you’re absolved of ALL of your sins at Confession, even if you honestly and unintentially forgot to mention some of them. I go to Confession and sometimes get so wrapped up in a couple of my sins that are really weighing on my heart that I completely forget about some of my other ones…but when the priest lays his hands over my head in the name of Jesus and says those incredible words, ALL of my sins are absolved, not just the ones I mentioned. As long as you are truly sorry for them and you truly just forget to mention them, they’re still absolved:)

Don’t torture yourself with this! God is always forgiving and understanding, and He knows every sin He’s taken from your heart in Confession. And if you don’t wish to recieve the Eucharist because it’s weighing on you that badly, then that is a very strong decision to make, but by all means still attend mass and recieve God’s Word and be in His presence! God still loves to see you!

Like I said above, you can go to Mass and NOT receive Communion (don’t deny yourself the Mass itself). Do you have the opportunity to briefly talk to the priest before Mass? I remember doing this once. Something happened that morning and I interrupted him (which I’ve never done and he was very gracious) in the pew (he sits in the last pew until right before the start of Mass, but I could’ve easily stepped into the sacristy) Just mention it to him first to put your mind at ease. I wouldn’t dare venture to say whether or not someone can receive Communion.

Penitent

[quote=CheesusPowerKid]I don’t know if anyone’s already said this, but you’re absolved of ALL of your sins at Confession, even if you honestly and unintentially forgot to mention some of them. I go to Confession and sometimes get so wrapped up in a couple of my sins that are really weighing on my heart that I completely forget about some of my other ones…but when the priest lays his hands over my head in the name of Jesus and says those incredible words, ALL of my sins are absolved, not just the ones I mentioned. As long as you are truly sorry for them and you truly just forget to mention them, they’re still absolved:)

Don’t torture yourself with this! God is always forgiving and understanding, and He knows every sin He’s taken from your heart in Confession. And if you don’t wish to recieve the Eucharist because it’s weighing on you that badly, then that is a very strong decision to make, but by all means still attend mass and recieve God’s Word and be in His presence! God still loves to see you!
[/quote]

We have told her! At least 3 times, including your post! Now it wil be 4 times in one thread.

Paris, once again, with feeling: YOU WERE FORGIVEN ALL YOUR SINS, EVEN THOSE YOU FORGOT, AT YOUR LAST CONFESSION!!!

Do you get it now? :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=CheesusPowerKid]I don’t know if anyone’s already said this, but you’re absolved of ALL of your sins at Confession, even if you honestly and unintentially forgot to mention some of them. I go to Confession and sometimes get so wrapped up in a couple of my sins that are really weighing on my heart that I completely forget about some of my other ones…but when the priest lays his hands over my head in the name of Jesus and says those incredible words, ALL of my sins are absolved, not just the ones I mentioned. As long as you are truly sorry for them and you truly just forget to mention them, they’re still absolved:)

[/quote]

THANK YOU!!! THIS IS WHAT I WAS DYING TO KNOW!!

So if I forgot to tell a sin, I am still forgiven of that sin if I’m truly sorry for it, correct?

If that’s the case, then I’m going to the Thanksgiving Mass tomorrow and recieve the Eucharist.

But see, in my heart, I could sense this “voice” telling me that if it was unintentionally, go to Mass and recieve Communion.

[quote=Paris Blues]THANK YOU!!! THIS IS WHAT I WAS DYING TO KNOW!!

So if I forgot to tell a sin, I am still forgiven of that sin if I’m truly sorry for it, correct?

If that’s the case, then I’m going to the Thanksgiving Mass tomorrow and recieve the Eucharist.

But see, in my heart, I could sense this “voice” telling me that if it was unintentionally, go to Mass and recieve Communion.
[/quote]

haha, glad we could get that straight:) It’s really amazing to know that we have someone with your faith and conviction at home in the Church. Keep striving to upholf your new faith with the same passion and integrity you are showing here…Jesus is waiting, never deprive yourself the opportunity to go recieve and be with him:)

Dear Paris,
Yes, you are showing signs of scrupulosity. You should set your mind at ease. If you continue to have these doubts as to God’s mercy, then do schedule an appointment with a priest whom you trust. I would not advise that you approach a priest about this on a casual basis before Mass.

Do you tend to obsess with hairsplitting details in other aspects of your life? Scrupulousity is a sign of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder).

God does not expect you to remember every single, solitary sin you commited in your whole life before receiving him. Confession is not a memory test. Confession is so we can humble ourselves before God after carefully examining our sinful behaviour. Yes, you might have left out a sin or two, but you didn’t do that on purpose, and I’m sure you gave a sincere confession that God honors.

[quote=spiritblows] I would not advise that you approach a priest about this on a casual basis before Mass.
QUOTE]

I wasn’t suggesting she casually approach a priest before Mass about her scrupulosity. I suggested if she was that anxious about receiving Communion, she mention it beforehand whether or not she should receive. But perhaps things are different in my parish where I am a daily communicant and have the opportunity to see a priest when necessary. And I was grateful I did approach him as my answer was there and the remedy was also made available.

Penitent
[/quote]

Well, just to be SUPER SAFE, I’m going to sleep in tomorrow.

YIKES! Is being scrupulous a sin too? (see, here goes again!:banghead: )

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.