I'm getting kicked out of the house

To whom it may concern,

I don't have a lot of time now. My family is tearing itself apart. I suppose I don't have anywhere else to go, but here. Soon, my mother will be kicking me out of this house and she, with her boyfriend, will sell the house and live elsewhere, as far away from me as possible.

I knew I wasn't always an easy person to live with, but neither were they. And they never took the time to look and give things proper chance. They only just know I'm at fault.

I can't let the depression get to me, and I'm trying to fight it, but when you're confronted with so much wrong going on, it's easy to get discouraged. I don't know where I'm going, or if I'll even be alright. I may not be strong to weather this storm.

What can I do? I have a few options...
I've thought about becoming a priest of the Catholic Church, or joining the U.S Marines, in order to find somewhere to reside. I've been looking for a job, but even that's not going well...

Pray for me.
-MontChevalier

I think military service is a good choice, if you are eligible. My young nephew was going through a crisis and joined. Basic training is very hard, but after that he found the discipline, the focus, and the regimentation very good for him. He was not very disciplined when he entered, but it really changed him for the better. Just a thought . . . God be with you.

It sounds like a tough situation all around.
I hope you can find a practical solution to where you will live and how you can support yourself if you can't patch things up at home and get along with your mother and her boyfriend.

You do most likely realize that to become a priest is a vocation, not a solution to accommodation issues, and that 'getting on with others' is necessary for priests also. There is a psychological assessment and discernment process.
If you're not getting on with those closest to you, I suspect you're unhappy and not getting on very well with yourself, so I hope and pray you can find the balance and maturity you need to help even difficult relationships to work. Yes, there are usually two sides to relationship difficulties, but there are ways to work around those if there is enough tolerance and thoughtfulness towards others. In the Marines, there will be personalities that are challenging, and situations that are challenging, so I hope and pray you find the inner strength, with the help of God and your natural gifts, to grow with whatever practical choices you make for your future.

I hope you are able to avoid what you fear is inevitable, or that you are able to find someone able to help you until you get on your feet. I don't know your age and whether or not is is time or past time to build your own future, but please God you can get through the transition in a healthy way.

Please let us know how things go.
Warm wishes, Trishie

You seem to be in a situation right now and there don't appear to be many open doors for you. The priesthood and military life aside, you need to consider a place to live first and foremost. While I can't make recommendations for you on where to go, I can tell you that there are two things that need to happen.

One is to take action, any kind of action, whether it's making phone calls to friends or to a church or to a shelter. This may sound harsh but it's more effective than sitting around worrying about your uncertain future. Taking action is actually an act of faith because although you may not know what's out there, your actions will generate a response from someone and release God's blessings upon you.

Secondly, in prayer turn to God. He actually is waiting to hear from you, but most often we only turn to Him in times of trouble. Irregardless of this, pour your heart out to Him, tell Him what's going on and ask for a miracle. Sometimes miracles are waiting right around the corner but need to be activated by faith (action) and prayer (talking to God),

Please don't feel your situation is hopeless, there is help out there but you have to do your part by reaching out in faith.

God Bless

I am no expert by any means but may I suggest something? Do you have any other family members or friends with whom you can stay with? If so, that will buy you some time to try to get on your feet and think it through on what you want to do with your life-whatever God is calling you to do. Military life has it challenges yet joy as well-I know-I am an air force veteran and reservist. I also can relate with feeling abandoned-my ex-husband left me when I was nearly 8 months pregnant with my third child. My dad also disowned me-I am a bad parent and daughter in his eyes. My middle child has high-functioning autism and that basically put me in the dog house of sorts-I caused it. Yet I just recently learned that I have mild aspergers syndrome, still in the military, and doing the best I can on raising my children. I have no other family but my friends and air force (strangely yet a blessing). Both were there for my children and I. I know that God somehow provided for me in ways I least expected. He will for you too. Before jumping into a quick decision, pray about it and hopefully I really pray you will find a place to stay until you get on your feet. You must take a step at a time. As for priesthood-if that is your calling, that will come together eventually. Believe me, if God wants you for that vocation, it will happen but in His time. First things first-and I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers-God will see you through this-and I pray that someone else will offer you a place to stay-I am so sorry that you are going through this. I also have a child-almost 18 who identifies as a transgender male-yet I cannot imagine despite my heartbreak on turning her/him away-she is still my child and I will always love my child-otherwise, a kind soul who wants to do good-so I try to look past the transgender issue and love her/him irregardless. I am so sorry that your parents isn't there for you despite your differences-I'll keep you in my prayers-hugs.....:gopray2::hug1::tissues:

[quote="MontChevalier, post:1, topic:249772"]
To whom it may concern,

I don't have a lot of time now. My family is tearing itself apart. I suppose I don't have anywhere else to go, but here. Soon, my mother will be kicking me out of this house and she, with her boyfriend, will sell the house and live elsewhere, as far away from me as possible.

I knew I wasn't always an easy person to live with, but neither were they. And they never took the time to look and give things proper chance. They only just know I'm at fault.

I can't let the depression get to me, and I'm trying to fight it, but when you're confronted with so much wrong going on, it's easy to get discouraged. I don't know where I'm going, or if I'll even be alright. I may not be strong to weather this storm.

What can I do? I have a few options...
I've thought about becoming a priest of the Catholic Church, or joining the U.S Marines, in order to find somewhere to reside. I've been looking for a job, but even that's not going well...

Pray for me.
-MontChevalier

[/quote]

How old are you? Are you finished highschool?

I too was kicked out and I was on my butt at age 18. It was tough and I got caught up in a mess for 3 years before I turned myself around and obtained a business degree.

It's not easy and it saddens me that young people are in these situations.

Are you saying that your mother wants nothing to do with you? What did you do? Did you lose her trust?

Go see your priest - find out what Catholic Charities has to offer. Start hitting those fast food restaraunts looking for jobs - be willing to take anything. I know it is not the best but sometimes we do what we can.

[quote="joanofarc2008, post:7, topic:249772"]
Go see your priest - find out what Catholic Charities has to offer. Start hitting those fast food restaraunts looking for jobs - be willing to take anything. I know it is not the best but sometimes we do what we can.

[/quote]

I worked at Burger King :)

I have worked at both MacDonalds and Starbucks. When I worked at Starbucks I had just returned from Iraq, had a degree in Bio/Chem but had developed a medical condition in Iraq that did not let me work in my field so I was basically told by my boss that I had to resign or he would not sign for my food stamps saying I no longer there. Had to pay the mortgage somehow and the people there were great.

I’ll tell you, I was military and recruited for a while as well - the military will feed you, house you, pay you, train you, pay for school, you’ll see the world, come out (if you do) with highly needed skills and maybe very specialized skills. What’s not to like? Even with all the BS that is going on (don’t ask, don’t tell) and the politics, the military is still one of the best, most honorable professions that exists.

Becoming a priest is a whole different choice, and requires lots of education and time you may not have.

Suggestion - if you go military and want more of a technical lifestyle or skill, go Air Force or Navy; there are plenty of highly technical skills needed in the Marines and Army (I’m Army), they just focus more on the ground combat and ground missions.

Military service can be a good choice also offering many options down the road but I would think about thoroughly and not just jump into something. It’s not the life for everyone. You shouldn’t even think about being a priest unless you feel you have the calling. I will pray for you. Have you thought about looking for a roommate? There are lots of options out there you just have to do your research. :cool:

Just to let you know that becoming a priest is not something you just “sign up for.” And seeing as you are not Catholic yet, becoming a priest is not really an option.

Better to take the advice of previous posters and seek help from your church, or go to the YMCA or a similar place for help.

If you are old enough to join the Marines or join the priesthood I’m assuming you are at least 18. I fail to see the problem in moving out.

[quote="SamH, post:13, topic:249772"]
If you are old enough to join the Marines or join the priesthood I'm assuming you are at least 18. I fail to see the problem in moving out.

[/quote]

Not everyone is mentally able, ready and mature as a young adult. It depends on the person.

Today is the Feast Day of St. Anna and St. Joachim …
who were the parents of
the Blessed Mother, Mary.

Dear St. Anna and St. Joachim,
please pray for MontChevalier.

St Anna and St Joachim

An ancient tradition, already known in the 2nd century, gives these names to the parents of the Virgin Mary. The cult of St Anna became popular in the 6th century in the East, and in the 10th century in the West, where she is the patron saint of Brittany; Joachim was added a long time later – too often the fate of fathers.

Although the information about Mary’s parents is found in an early apocryphal writing that gives many miraculous and highly-coloured stories about the early life of the Virgin Mary, there is no reason to suppose that such a straightforward fact as her parents’ names should be wrong, since there is nothing to be gained from falsifying it. It does not occur in the Gospels simply because the most reliable evangelists (the only ones whom we have allowed into the Bible) felt they had more important things to talk about.

But what, after all, could be more important than the parents who brought up the Virgin Mary to be the woman she was? At the moment of consenting to the Incarnation she took the most important decision ever taken by any human being, and the fact that she took it is, to a great extent, the work of her parents. The Holy Spirit gave her the strength to take the decision; but her parents’ training gave her the wisdom to choose.

Those of us who have children must seek to bring them up to the best of our ability, to meet challenges that, like Anna and Joachim, we have no way of even imagining.

See also the articles in the Catholic Encyclopaedia on St Anna and St Joachim.

Please consider carefully before joining a military organization such as the Marine Corps. I am a Marine veteran from a military family, and I can tell you that your life as well as the lives of your brothers and sisters in arms depend on your being certain that you are doing the right thing. Please do not enlist just so you will have a place to stay; understand that the military, too is a calling. If, however, you are ready to possibly lay down your life and even take the life of another person in the service of your country, regardless of personal politics, then by all means, consult your priest and your local military recruiter.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

[quote="Serap, post:14, topic:249772"]
Not everyone is mentally able, ready and mature as a young adult. It depends on the person.

[/quote]

Becoming an adult happens, ready or not. If they are not ready it’s an opportunity to grow as a person. In this case staying "home" doesn't appear to have been such a good situation anyway.

I’m Army, but worked with the Marines in Desert Storm. Awesome.

Semper Fi!

I left home at 16 and was emancipated. Later in life I was also an army wife for 9 years and live near a military reservation.

As another poster mentioned, if you feel you can do it, talk to a priest and a recruiter and consider enlisting. I believe the armed forces would do you good. You will be clothed, fed, and housed. You can see the world and also have educational opportunities.

Having worked inpatient psychiatric (and having been an army wife) on a military unit, please understand whatever issues you have you need to take care of before signing up. Military life will exacerbate any conditions/concerns.

Don't marry some girlie to "help" her or to bring her to your duty station. Build a support system wherever you go and stay close to a church and its congregation.

You can do this! It's going to suck, but you can.

I'll be praying for you.

Cara
.:hug1:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.