I'm going back to using my old protestant study Bibles!

I just purchased the little rock catholic study Bible and wow what junk! I was really hoping it would have been somewhat comparable to my old niv study Bible. Of course it wasn’t, not even close! Thank God I never read or saw a catholic study Bible like this one while i wad contemplating becoming catholic or i would have never ever joined the church. What ****** foot notes. I prefer to build my faith rather than destroy it thank you! I wonder if they are even Christian. So i guess… I will continue using the nkjv womens study Bible, niv study Bible, and my nrsv-2ce. I can’t believe that there is nothing out there as a Catholic one volume study Bible. Ughhhhh.
My protestant Bibles are marked up with plenty catholic apologetics helps thanks to many hours of my hard work but gosh i am so upset!
Anyone else in this situation? Any suggestions???

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

Two solid recommendations:

haydock1859.tripod.com/

And my favorite (still a work in progress):

sites.google.com/site/aquinasstudybible/home

Especially the Lapide commentaries.^

Catholic study is different from what you’re used to (that’s not to say “worse” though it seems so to you now). It’s well-reviewed on Amazon, so I suspect that it just doesn’t speak to your particular learning style. That happens to all of us.

You might look into Haydock’s commentary as a companion. Be forewarned that it uses different chapter/verse numbering in the Psalms (there is alternate numbering provided in the text, fortunately).

I also keep a Protestant study Bible, but not for the notes. I use the dictionary and lexical aids it provides and have yet to see a Catholic Bible that provides those tools at all.

I would suggest the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible - New Testament. I know it is not the whole Bible but the notes are very good! I hope the whole Bible will come out in a year or two. It uses the RSV-2CE translation.

Also, check out the Navarre Bible books. They are not in one volume, but with all of the notes on each page, it would be one HUGE volume if they could get it in one book. The advantage to doing the Navarre or the Ignatius Study Bibles is that you can really go into depth in one book, or a couple if it is the ones on the epistles.

I would be wary of Protestant bibles. Just as an example, I ran a search on several, and the words which Catholics tranlate “do penance” are translated merely as “repent” by the Protestants. So to them, because of their translation, the Bible says nothing about doing penance.

Easy on the condemnations. The text of the bible is very similar. It’s the footnotes that are the problem. Maybe Catholics should produce a bible with decent footnotes that doesn’t cost and arm and a leg?

1 Like

I would also recommend the Ignatius Study Bible.

This review might give you a better understanding of the ** Little Rock Catholic Study Bible**…has an excellent review and insight into the LRCSB…and excellent comments offered by very knowledgeable readers.
Pax Christi

Catholic Bibles Blogspot

Overall, the LRCSBDE is a very accessible study Bible. I dare say that this may be one of the most attractive Catholic Bibles on the market, with a wonderful overall look and feel. When you flip through it, there are plenty of eye-catching features which make the LRCSBDE almost as comparable to some of the study Bibles that Zondervan produces. It reminds me a bit of the TNIV Study Bible, which is now out-of-print. While the LRCSB is not to the level of the more academic Oxford Catholic Study Bible, it certainly isn’t far off either. While the Oxford editions are enhanced by the Reading Guides, the LRCSB supplies more helpful inserts that supplement the text in appropriate places. In many ways, I find the LRCSB more of a pleasure to read than the Oxford editions. The various maps, charts, and other inserts are placed so well in the text, that they become immediately helpful. While I recommend everyone to examine any study Bible before buying one, certainly one that costs over $50 like the LRCSB, one would do well to consider this as their everyday study Bible. If you want the Deluxe Edition, it is only available on the Little Rock website in limited quantity.

catholicbibles.blogspot.com/2012/04/review-little-rock-catholic-study-bible.html

**…and a critique…on the review
[INDENT]

Chrysostom said…
This looks like, as far as presentation (if not binding quality, etc.) this is the right direction to go - this Bible is the only one I’ve seen (from the pictures) that appears to even be playing the same sport as the ESV Study Bible, even if this is playing in the farm leagues. This is only the second single-column Catholic annotated Bible I’ve ever seen, the only other being the prohibitively-priced, poorly-translated, but excellently-annotated Navarre (10 volumes).

Catholic Bible publishers, take notice: Go over to J Mark Bertrand’s blog and listen to what he has to say about Bible typesetting, and follow it. Hire him to design your Bibles. As far as layout goes, the Crossway ESV Study Bible is the best study Bible format available, and is close to the best possible layout, full stop. Copy it, but don’t make Crossway’s mistake of cheap printing with doubly-imprinted pages scattered through, and too-tight or against-the-grain sewn binding, which gives the wrinkle-crinkle effect in the gutter - and Catholic study Bibles, as long as they’re annotated properly (i.e. ICSB, Haydock for faithful use, NOAB for criticism and apologetics training), will begin to compete in the Protestant SB market with Catholics (as many Catholics buy a Protestant Bible because the Catholic choices are so lacking).

And, of course, make the notes themselves better and more Catholic. The ESVSB is a prime example of what happens when an “interdenominational” group gets together to write commentary; the only thing that’s agreed on is Calvinism in the NT, with half a dozen different millennial positions being advocated, and the annotation to the OT being so bland and non-committal as to be useless (for example, the Trinity isn’t even mentioned for Gen 1:26-29).

Note to Catholic Biblical Association: blend the style of annotation of the better volumes of Sacra Pagina (such as John and Luke-Acts minus the neutered language: most strongly NOT Revelation), Pillar NTC, BECNT, CCSS, and the New American Commentary together, from a Catholic perspective, in the form of Haydock’s Notes (as such allows one to fit much, much more annotation on a single page), and you’ll have something for everyone. (And a six-volume Bible, probably.)

And then publish a companion volume that is drawn from ICC, NJBC, Berit Olam, worse Sacra Pagina, NOAB style annotation, as a “scholar’s edition”. (Throw some NIGNT in there for the Hell of it, as men using it should know a bit of Greek.)

(The preceding contains a very short adaptation of the theme of a series of articles eventually destined for this blog.)
April 18, 2012 1:59 PM

[/INDENT]

[quote=capablanca911] Two solid recommendations:

haydock1859.tripod.com/

And my favorite (still a work in progress):

sites.google.com/site/aquinasstudybible/home

Especially the Lapide commentaries.^
[/quote]

Thank you these look great! I wish they were in a one volume leather study Bible!

I do own the Navarre new testament and Ignatius new testament study Bibles. I am aware of the differences in protestant Bibles but i have never come across footnotes as bad as those in the nabre. I know in a protestant Bible they will be supporting their view of once saved always saved and the eucharist as really symbolic. I can just make sure i know how to defend the catholic position on these type of things. It can be handy for apologetics i think. Most of the protestant notes are of a faith building daily application nature unlike the historical/critical (i think its called) nabre notes. This Catholic Bible undermines miracles and doesn’t even mention the trinity in the first chapter of Genesis. Does anybody know of a catholic Bible with cross references, a concordance and subject index in it at least?

Yeah! Grab the New Testament here. The Old Testament is slowly in the works.

There is also The Navarre Bible. Can’t recommend the Navarre Old Testament though.

With love in Christ,
Pete

Let your bishop know, if you feel comfortable doing this.

If I get the chance to see Archbishop Lori, I will try to remember to let him know about this. He’s great!

With love in Christ,
Pete

You need to follow your own advice and go easy on the condemnations.

1 Like

Try the Orthodox Study Bible. Nothing there disagrees with Catholic teaching.

Also there is a companion series written by Fr. Lawrence Farley and published by Conciliar Press. You can listen to the free podcasts on Ancient Faith Radio, they are called “Coffee Cup Commentaries”.

1 Like

Get one, or more, of these and you will be good to go. I am not a fan of the Little Rock Study Bible either, and will not recommend it to anyone.

The Navarre Series
The Hadock Commentaries
The Ignatius Study Bible
The Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture Series
Catholic Scripture Study International
Pope Benedict’s Jesus of Nazareth series
Catena Aurea

Also, there are some excellent electronic resources which I strongly recommend. catholicproductions.com/store/audio/pitre/index.html

Please be sure to write a review on Amazon and other such websites so that people will know about the Little Rock Study Bible and not be deceived as you were.

I do not limit myself to one study Bible. I purchase different commentaries on the different books as we study them. I find no one commentary sufficient by itself. The ones I purchase for home use are the Navarre, Ignatius, and Collegeville (which is currently being reworked for the better I think). I also find Barlcay’s studies useful even though they are not Catholic. I also have something called the Catholic Study Bible. Our local library also has 2 different study Bibles–one is the Anchor and I can’t recall the name of the other one. I also comb used bookstores and occassionally pick up the odd commentary here or there–if it looks interesting.

I find any one volume study to be, well, lacking–in that limited space you cannot possibly provide a very indepth commentary–at best they just barely scratch the surface. If you must have one volume–I believe the Ignatius New Testament is now available in a single volume but I have not checked to see if is exactly the same as each individual commentary.

Peace,
Mark

What problems did you see with the Navarre Old Testament? I was considering purchasing it next year.

I haven’t seen their study Bible, but based on my experience with one of the Little Rock Scripture Study books in a Bible study class at church, I would never, ever, purchase anything from them. It was indeed a “faith-killer”, to quote another poster in another thread.

They essentially said that all the Old Testament stories (Adam & Eve, Noah and the Flood, the Exodus miracles) were manufactured tales in order to tell about God’s role (whatever that might be, given that the stories apparenlty weren’t true) in helping the people of Israel.

Jesus Himself referred to some of these events. Therefore, if they weren’t true, you are left with:

1. How, exactly, did God help Israel?
  2. None of the miracles actually happened. They were made up stories.
  3. Jesus was lying when he referred to them.
  4. The entire foundation of our Christianity is questionable, to say the least.

I talked to our priest about it, and he suggested I write the Bishop.

I have the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible (New Testament), and the Navarre New Testament. I like the way the former refers frequently to the Catechism. There are some verses which are troublesome to understand, and there is no explanation in the footnotes, but I find that to be true with other study Bibles, as well, so I really can’t call it a negative.

There is another thread, in the Sacred Scripture forum, I believe, entitled *“What is a good bible that Roman Catholics use?” *You might check out that thread. (Sorry, I don’t know how to link to another thread.)

IMHO, the Little Rock Scripture Study series is, as you so aptly put it, “junk”.

RC convert of 10 years. When I was Protestant I got caught up in having the best study Bible. No more. I read the Bible/Bibles along side the Catechism.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.