I'm going to be a daddy

:eek:

Lol. No, the :eek: doesn’t really express my reaction to the (now two-week-old) news. I knew what we were up to, and what millenia of evidence indicated might happen.

No, my only worry now is that my wife, who is now homebound with morning sickness, isn’t able to bring in the supplementary income we need. I was never happy having to rely on her income in addition to mine, but things happened fast and we ended up with a condo and a biggish mortgage. So, any and all prayers would be appreciated as I scramble to figure out how to keep the wolf outside. We’ve got about four solid months before I have to sell plasma or become an eBay tycoon. I love my current job (raising money for the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy as a proposal writer) but it falls short of the level we need. I either need to get a raise, find something that pays better, or get crackin’ on one of our big entrepreneurial schemes (which, yes, includes some kind of eBay business…)

Anyway, it’s a joyous occasion and we’re both very happy. She’s just a little pukey, but happy. We’re both concerned that we “tested” God by trying for a child now, before we were completely financially stable, but our heads were full of things like “Trust God,” and "There’s never a “right time.” Crazy kids, we. But then, I’m 33 and she’s 29. I don’t want to be in a wheelchair at my kids’ high school graduations. (Unless it’s some sort of cool futuristic hoverchair.)

Congratulations!!!

BTW, how I found out was rather humorous. This is from my blog:

Life will find a way…

Remember that line in Jurassic Park where Jeff Goldblum’s character is pontificating about the way nature can’t be boxed in and quantified? I know what he means now…

Last Tuesday I had a hell of a day at work. It’s all good, but we were working on a $6 million proposal to a potentially big donor. Like many of the big ones, this was “writing by committee.” As the writer, I have the ****** job of taking four or five people’s “must haves” and making them converge into one nice, crisp, interesting narrative flow. Since this was a business proposal, (about business, that is), the challenge is just that much more difficult.

Anyway, that’s way off topic. Suffice it to say we went through about four drafts that day.

I got home and Grace asked me how the day went. I meant to keep it short and sweet because, despite my “online persona,” I am not one to blab on and on about my problems. Especially if they stress Grace out. She followed me back to the bedroom/bathroom and sat on the edge of the bed. I went over and brushed my teeth, trying to talk while doing it. It was pretty funny. But then I noticed a home pregnancy test near the bathroom sink.

“Isn’t it a bit early to be trying those right now?” (It came out more like “Ippint a bi ewwee tubby twying tose wight wow?”) The day before, she had told me that we could test in about a week…

“Look at what it says, honey…” I looked again. It showed two pink lines. But I didn’t really get it because I was mainly thinking Didn’t she pee on that? What’s it doing near my toothbrush…?

I spit and said, “Okay, but I don’t know what two pink lines means. If you were pregnant, you’d probably have attacked me with the news when I walked in.” Her jaw almost dropped. “Look at the other one!”

There was another one? I looked. It was a fancy, high-tech tester with an electronic LCD display. It clearly said, in all caps, “PREGNANT.”

“You’re kidding me.” I had toothpaste goo running down my chin.

“Are you blind???”

"I turned around again and looked. Right there on the counter–and it isn’t big–were two pregnancy tests, a pink pacifier and a blue pacifier, and a big bottle of sparkling cider with all kinds of frilly bows and ribbons on it. I don’t know how I missed it, but I turned back around and said to Grace, “We’re going to have a stupid baby!”

And then we snuggled. (No, not that kind of snuggling…)

After a few minutes of that, I went to hit the Play button on the bedside iPod stereo. I said, “Whatever plays next will be the first song we ever heard as parents.” It was a sola fide debate between John Martignoni and an evangelical pastor. Lol.

So, anyway, I’m gonna be a daddy. I’m finally able to take a full breath now. To say I’m a little anxious would be an understatement. Happy, yes, but I’ve got to get cracking on a major new stream of income ASAP. Anyone want some plasma?

Congratulations!

I will be praying for your wife… I also had to work hard through horrific morning sickness… so I sympathize completely.

My drive into work was always the worst… I became quite familiar with the Wal-Mart parking lot where I often pulled over to throw up…
I think the landscapers there must’ve hated me… I swear I killed one certain patch of grass.

Prayers coming your way!.. congratulations!

You put a big smile on my face . Congratulations!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! No, you and your wife were not wrong to think that “God will provide” :slight_smile: He will provide and your sweet, growing family will be just fine! We’ll be praying for you, and especially for your wife to have a healthy and safe pregnancy and delivery! And also for you to be able to support your family on your income alone :thumbsup:

By the way, your ticker says you’re only 3 weeks pregnant. Isn’t that a bit early for horrible morning sickness? Maybe it’s twins???

Congratulations!!!
Things will work out :slight_smile:
I can relate to her morning sickness as I am in the same phase right now… icky…
You guys will be in my prayers.
It takes me back to when we had just gotten married, on our way back from our honeymoon and found out my hubby no longer had a job and soon after we found out we were pregnant with a honeymoon baby. Things ended up working out great! Now that baby just came up to me with the biggest smile and cutest bouncing curls and asked “Watcha doin’ mommy?”, so I am gonna go play with my 2 yr old that is dancing here to music we have on :slight_smile:

Congratulations!! I’ll be praying so things get better financially and so your DW has a safe and heatlhy pregnancy and labor as well.

Congratulations to you and your wife. I’m still laughing over the toothpaste goo – that’s the cutest, funniest story I’ve heard in a while. I’ll pray you get the income needed to support your family.

Congratulations :clapping:

I’m sure you’ll be fine parents in every way.

Congrats!!!

Come on over the expectant mommys club, we need more daddys there :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey, congratulations. That is great news. And your title of your blog says it all. Life really does always find a way. Every single time I got pregnant it was at the worst possible time, and it always worked out. Sometimes you just have to get creative.

Congratulations, blessings, you are darn blessed to have Grace!!! What a romantic trooper that girl is!!!

Here’s praying for a SMART baby! :stuck_out_tongue:

Really though, congratulations on your news. God will always provide, but about that plasma… :stuck_out_tongue:

excellent news, montanaman! Excellent, indeed.

God has blessed you with a talent and a will to work for what is right (that which is Right), no doubt he will bless you with a means to provide for your growing family using those talents, or your wife’s too.

Congratulations!

Wow! I just came back to my computer and I see all these replies. Lemme go through them…

It still is a bit early, but that’s our estimate so far. We’ll get a more exact estimate at her first doctor’s appointment.

By the way, she talked to a few doctors–even Catholic doctors–and they don’t want to see her until around 12 weeks. Huh? I thought you’d want to get in there ASAP to check for potential problems.

Thanks, all. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.