I'm going to start going to daily mass

I am a brand new baptized catholic, and I want to start going to daily mass. I like the idea of starting my day with the 7 am mass, but its at a different parish than mine and slightly less modern than mine (not that that’s a bad thing, I’m just saying). My parish has daily mass at inconvenient times every day of the week. I’m also expecting mostly non-younger people there :slight_smile: I’m only 20.

I think my question is already implied…

It's great to hear you want to go to daily mass. I am a convert ( converted about 20 yrs ago) and part of the reason I converted was because I learned Catholics COULD go to "church" (mass) EVERY DAY!!! I thought that was fantastic! As a Baptist I went everytime the church doors was open which was only Sundays and Wednesdays.

Regarding which parish you attend, I don't think it matters much as long as the mass is reverent and at a convenient time for you so you can attend often.

Welcome and Happy Easter!

I always go to a different parish than the parish i am listed for, you can go any church you want, every church is a house of God :slight_smile: Glad to hear your starting to go :slight_smile: Prayers for you brother.

Great to hear you are going to start going to daily mass.

I try to get to mass every day when I am not working (school holidays) and find it is a wonderful way to start each day. I wish I was able to find a parish that did an early enough morning mass for me to go before work.

Best wishes.

Martin

[quote="andyklein, post:1, topic:321077"]
I am a brand new baptized catholic, and I want to start going to daily mass. I like the idea of starting my day with the 7 am mass, but its at a different parish than mine and slightly less modern than mine (not that that's a bad thing, I'm just saying). My parish has daily mass at inconvenient times every day of the week. I'm also expecting mostly non-younger people there :) I'm only 20.

I think my question is already implied.....

[/quote]

That's a good idea :thumbsup:. Lucky you, I've been considering attending daily mass but I think it's best if I wait until summer when I don't work so that I can attend the 8 am daily mass at my parish. The alternative option would be to attend the 7pm daily mass at another parish after work. Regardless, if you're able to attend daily mass (at any parish) and that's what you want to do, then go ahead. :)

I give thanks to God that there are such parishes. Alas, nearly a quarter century ago when I began attending daily mass, my aspiration was short lived because all but one of the priests were definitely heretical . . .

I'm not hard-core about it, but daily Mass (0630) is more or less on my way to work, so if the Boss gets me up in time (~0500), I can make it, and that's what usually happens. I find it does me good.

I am a brand new baptized catholic, and I want to start going to daily mass. I like the idea of starting my day with the 7 am mass, but its at a different parish than mine and slightly less modern than mine (not that that's a bad thing, I'm just saying). My parish has daily mass at inconvenient times every day of the week. I'm also expecting mostly non-younger people there :) I'm only 20.

[/quote]

I retired and am able to attend daily Mass now. It's wonderful and even better it is a daily Latin Mass.

You can attend Mass at any parish. People often attend daily Mass at a different parish because of how Mass times fit into their work and commute schedules. It's great that you plan to do this! What a wonderful habit to have, but don't worry if you aren't always able to make it. Also don't worry about the other people there. You may see different people during the week than you do on a Sunday for the same reason as you - they are working Around their schedules.

Daily Mass usually doesn't have any music and sometimes no homily. Priests often do without altar servers also if there isn't a school attached to the parish.

Welcome home!!!

Daily Mass is awesome! Besides the spiritual benefits, it also helps me start my day on the right note, and I'm just so much more productive the whole day.

I wouldn't worry about going to a different parish. DH and I go to Mass at our college on Sunday, and to a "real" parish with daily Mass on the weekdays. (funny story: when our college chapel closed down due to a snowstorm the weekend of our wedding, the priests at our daily parish offered use of their church for the ceremony, and we ended up getting married there.)

About half the people at the daily Mass we go to are in their 20s, including the postulants/seminarians of the order that runs the parish. We do live in a city with a lot of colleges around; where you are would definitely skew your demographic. Even if there are mostly older people, I'm sure they will all be super happy to see you!

[/quote]

Do it!!!!! I love to see younger people in daily Mass! It does lift one's spirits to see a young heart on fire for Jesus enough to go to Mass during the week!!!

:love:

[/quote]

Good for you! How lovely that at such a young age you will be attending mass dailey. Far cry from what I was doing at that age. :( :o :rolleyes:

Our downtown Cathedral parish has a 7:00 a.m. daily Mass (I go every day; in fact, I open up the church). We usually see about 40-50 people of all ages. We have retired seniors, working people, parents and schoolkids. It's about half-and-half men and women. The other parishes in town have 9:00 a.m. or later "retiree Masses." Great for retirees but not so much for working people. We also have a 12:10 Mass that has about 100 or so most days, also a mix of working people, families, and retirees.

We also have music. Our rector chants the entire Mass, daily or Sunday. Our PV sings the Eucharistic prayer. At the 12:10 Mass, we often have a cantor singing the simple English propers, and leading an offertory hymn. Our Saturday morning 7:30 is the Novus Ordo in Latin, and with everything sung and chanted, often lasts as long as a Sunday Mass.

We try to have altar servers at every Mass (it is a cathedral, after all). That usually means adult altar servers for daily Mass.

You are welcome to attend any Mass at any parish. Don't worry one bit that it's not your own parish.

[quote="dailey, post:12, topic:321077"]
Good for you! How lovely that at such a young age you will be attending mass dailey. Far cry from what I was doing at that age. :( :o :rolleyes:

[/quote]

I could say the same. :o Can't imagine what my life would have looked like had I been attending daily Mass at the age of 20.

One of the great things about being a Catholic is that you can go to ANY parish and get the same Mass, same readings, etc. that you would get at your "home" parish. As others have said, whatever parish fits best into your daily schedule is fine.

It's such a blessing that you have this desire to go to daily Mass! Don't worry if you're one of the younger people there...I struggled with that at first, too (I'm in my early thirties and most daily Mass attendees at my parish are retired), but eventually you get used to it and the self-consciousness fades away. Just remember that Jesus is waiting for you in the Blessed Sacrament, and that you will be building up so much grace for yourself by attending.

Oh, and welcome Home! :)

[/quote]

You may or may not be the youngest person there, depends upon if there are any homeschooling families that attend daily Mass.

Go, and be blessed because of it. The Mass may only be 30 minutes in length total, like someone said there may or may not be music or a homily or altar servers. There may be a group saying the rosary before Mass as well.

People that attend daily Mass usually get to know each other pretty well since its usually the same small group attending day in and day out.

good for you daily mass is life changing.

[/quote]

It's completely fine to go to another parish. I prefer my own parish for daily Mass so I plan days off and appts around that but normally I attend another parish for daily Mass which is a convienent two blocks from my work....and I can get it in during my lunch hour.

Daily Mass is AWESOME!

Good for you! I attended 7:30 a.m. mass for many years when I worked at an office that was near a church. It was definitely worth the effort to get up earlier. I miss it now that I am no longer working there.

[/quote]

This is definitely one of the best decisions you can make. I love going to daily Mass, and yes: most people who go to daily Mass are not young, but I go for Christ. Receiving Him daily (of course, in state of grace) has been one of my greatest comforts, and it has helped me a lot in fighting many of my sins. Kudos!

[quote="anonymous_in_fl, post:2, topic:321077"]
It's great to hear you want to go to daily mass. I am a convert ( converted about 20 yrs ago) and part of the reason I converted was because I learned Catholics COULD go to "church" (mass) EVERY DAY!!! I thought that was fantastic! As a Baptist I went everytime the church doors was open which was only Sundays and Wednesdays.

Regarding which parish you attend, I don't think it matters much as long as the mass is reverent and at a convenient time for you so you can attend often.

Welcome and Happy Easter!

[/quote]

SO true! I was also a Baptist until last September, and just like you, I loved the fact that I could go to church every day. Always questioned myself why the church wasn't open for people every day (in the Baptist church I used to belong to). :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.