I'm heartbroken

:frowning:

A little while ago, I posted about going to visit my Godmother, who was struggling with cancer.

She passed away this past weekend.

I knew she was very ill…but I wasn’t prepared for it to happen the way it did. I thought I would find her able to speak, that she would recognize me. I thought she would have just a little more time.

She, instead died about half an hour after I arrived at her hospice. I found her to be practically just skin and bones, and she was not responsive at all.

I was able to pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet for her, en route to the hospice.

I love her very much, and am going to miss her incredibly. She hadn’t ever met my newest baby, and he was with me when she passed. As she was in her last moments, the baby pointed at her and said, “Jsssus, Jsssus…”

I have never been with a loved one before at the moment of their death. I’m glad I was able to be there for her. I wish I could understand redemptive suffering more than I do.

Sorry for the ramble. Could I ask for prayers for this difficult time? Especially for her wake and funeral. Thank you.

of course you have my prayers, mary gail.

please God that i may have this sort of death-- aided by the intense and loving prayers of my loved ones:

I was able to pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet for her, en route to the hospice.

I love her very much, and am going to miss her incredibly. She hadn’t ever met my newest baby, and he was with me when she passed. As she was in her last moments, the baby pointed at her and said, “Jsssus, Jsssus…”

I have never been with a loved one before at the moment of their death. I’m glad I was able to be there for her.

Mary, I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
May the love of God comfort you in during this tough time!

*We beseech Thee, O Lord,
in Thy mercy,
to have pity on the soul of Thy handmaid;
do Thou, Who hast freed her
from the perils of this mortal life,
restore to her the portion of everlasting salvation.
Through Christ our Lord,

Amen. *

The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit
Psalm 34:18*

Heavenly Father,
Please heal the heart of your beloved daughter as she faces the loss of her loved one. Grant her peace and acceptance in this troubled time. Remind of her of Your love and compassion and give her strength to deal with her grief. Lord, please wrap her in Your loving arms and nurture her heart.
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen.

:crossrc:

Mary Gail, I’m so sorry for your loss. Of course I’ll pray for you

Oh goodness yes, babies frequently will point and stare at the entire entourage who come to welcome and support the soul crossing over, and coo and laugh with absolute delight and point and talk to them just like they do with any other adults in the room. They do not miss seeing that Light and that joy! It is the pure of heart who see God, you know.

As for redemptive suffering… it is a matter of having difficulty in letting go. Hanging on is what causes the suffering. Everybody has got something or other that they have difficulty letting go of on this earth before they leave this earth, some more, some less, but everybody nonetheless.

As a godmother I am touched by your post.

Take comfort in the knowledge that your godmother is with Jesus - it is no coincidence that your baby uttered His name at that moment.

I will remember you and your godmother in my prayers this week. May God bless you and comfort you during this difficult time!

“I was able to pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet for her, en route to the hospice.”

Oh Mary Gail: What a marvelous godchild you are. Like Monicatholic, this is exactly the way I would love to leave this earth with someone praying for me. Please do continue to pray for her.

I was with my pew buddy Clare when she was near death and had not awakened for days-----for a brief moment she did open her eyes, and said my name. I’ll never forget that. It is hard to let go.

I am on my way to morning Mass and will say prayers for you but I want you to know that it sounds like you were a wonderful godchild and says a lot that you were there for her.

I’m so sorry for your loss, Mary Gail. :hug1: And I’m so glad you were able to be there for her too.

:signofcross:
Eternal rest grant unto her, oh Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her. May her soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen

Prayers for you too, Mary Gail. My condolences on the loss of your Godmother.

I am terribly sorry for your loss and will pray for you during this difficult time. :frowning:

May God bless you and yours at this difficult time. The death of a loved one is never easy but it sounds like you handled it as well as could be expected given the circumstances. Your Godmother was blessed to have people with her who prayed for her at the end. You are in my prayers

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. They mean a great deal to me.

It’s so funny the memories that come back when you miss someone.

Yesterday I was food shopping. In the frozen food section was some frozen dinners. turkey tetrazzini, to be exact.

When I was small, Thanksgiving was my Godmother’s holiday…and the next day she would make a huge tray of turkey tetrazzini.

So I bought it.

I miss her, and also feel bad about not seeing her her last few years. First we moved a bit away. Then when she was going through radiation. I couldn’t see her because I was pregnant, then she moved farther away to get more intense treatment.

Sigh…:frowning:

Mary Gail, first of all I’m so sorry for your loss :frowning:

I know what you mean about those kinds of funny memories especially with food:p My mom passed in December, suddenly at 52, and things that never made me think of her before now do. My mom was NOT a good cook, at all, she admitted that, so whenever she had to bring something to a picnic, or any type of pot luck gathering, she made a no cook shrimp dip that had Philly cream cheese in it. Everyone always really liked it too, and she was happy to fooI people into thinking she was a great cook;) I never buy Philly cream cheese, but when I saw it at Target the other day I just HAD to, because it brought back so many memories :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.