I'm homebound and my Priest comes to give me Communion and won't hear my confession

The Church recommends rather “regular confession”…that may be weekly or bi-weekly or monthly…

CCC

1458 Without being strictly necessary, confession of everyday faults (venial sins) is nevertheless strongly recommended by the Church. Indeed the regular confession of our venial sins helps us form our conscience, fight against evil tendencies, let ourselves be healed by Christ and progress in the life of the Spirit. By receiving more frequently through this sacrament the gift of the Father’s mercy, we are spurred to be merciful as he is merciful.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c2a4.htm#VI

0 Likes

Yes, indeed, I recognise that. It was the statement that the Church recommends confession every month that I was querying,

Nobody has the right to say that the Church imposes a duty that it does not in fact. Which is why I asked the other poster for a reference to support his/her claim.

0 Likes

I have also read that monthly confession is recommended. Perhaps not stated in the Catechism but it is recommended to receive frequently. Notice it says ‘receive’. It is a gift.

1458 Without being strictly necessary, confession of everyday faults (venial sins) is nevertheless strongly recommended by the Church.59 Indeed the regular confession of our venial sins helps us form our conscience, fight against evil tendencies, let ourselves be healed by Christ and progress in the life of the Spirit. By receiving more frequently through this sacrament the gift of the Father’s mercy, we are spurred to be merciful as he is merciful:60

Whoever confesses his sins . . . is already working with God. God indicts your sins; if you also indict them, you are joined with God. Man and sinner are, so to speak, two realities: when you hear "man" - this is what God has made; when you hear "sinner" - this is what man himself has made. Destroy what you have made, so that God may save what he has made. . . . When you begin to abhor what you have made, it is then that your good works are beginning, since you are accusing yourself of your evil works. The beginning of good works is the confession of evil works. You do the truth and come to the light.61 St. Augustine
0 Likes

I’m wondering what culture the OP is from…the reason I ask if that I have encountered many people from Mexico that firmly believe that they may not receive the Eucharist without having gone to Confession immediately prior to the Mass.
It has become an issue when catechizing the children for First Eucharist. We teach about the differences between venial and mortal sins, while maintaining that people should go to confession regularly. But then, their parents tell them that the “teacher is telling you wrong.”

Perhaps this is a long-standing belief from her childhood.
:shrug:
At any rate, as her priest, he probably knows her best…perhaps it is his belief that a severely disabled person has a minimal occasion of sin. At any rate, I’m not about to second guess a priest.
God bless you Randi, in your desire to present a spotless home for Our Lord in the Eucharist. may you be blessed with vitality and peace,
pianist

0 Likes

Sure one can say “monthly confession is recommended” just as one can say “weekly or bi-weekly confession is recommended”.

Regular confession of venial sins -even though they can be forgiven in many ways - including during Holy Communion -is recommended. Frequent confession has been recommended for ages.

0 Likes

@posts #18-#24 (with the exception of #23)

You guys are off topic. Let’s stick to the topic here, please. The OP does not need information about what the Church advises concerning how often we should go to confession.

0 Likes

I am in agreement with you and Memaw. :thumbsup:

0 Likes

I do not follow rules and regulations of a church when God is always available to confess to or whatever problem we may have.
Who is more important in your life, a priest or god?

0 Likes

God is more important. That is why we receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation that He gave us.

0 Likes

I need to correct that word ‘duty’. As Bookcat has kindly and tactfully pointed out via a PM, the word ‘duty’ was not used in the original claim Thanks, Bookcat, you are quite right.

I still think my point stands , though. The Church does not recommend a specific timeframe. If we say that it does, we run the risk of making people anxious if they do not achieve it, for whatever reason.

0 Likes

Right.

Regular confession of venial sins -even though they can be forgiven in many ways - including during Holy Communion -is recommended. Frequent confession has been recommended for ages.

The actual period of time in between such confessions can vary as can recommendations to such. Monthly, every two weeks, weekly…

0 Likes

0 Likes

This should be discussed with the pastor. Every Catholic has the right the receive the Sacrament of Penance when requested & not have to deal with not having confession heard before receiving the Holy Eucharist. One should never be turned down when wanting to go to confession.

0 Likes

A just reason yes, but he needs to give her a good explanation as to why he refuses. Sounds like it has happened enough times to make her want to go to another parish if it was possible. The CCC says Confession of venial sins is strongly recomended. I was always taught and I always taught my CCD children to go once a month. God Bless, Memaw

0 Likes

Look - don’t prejudge this priest.

I’m not saying it’s the case here but, being the music director, I’ve had to fill in hours of music because one person spent so long in the confessional…This was done on a weekly basis.

I ended up using recorded music (this was to cover up the voices from the confessional).

Give the poor man the benefit of the doubt!

0 Likes

He may not want to belittle her or make her feel bad. Maybe he *did *give her a reason.

0 Likes

Not necessarily so. Priests are trained to recognize individual situations where going to confession would be harmful to someone’s spiritual life and to act accordingly. For example, in cases of scrupulosity, obsession over a particular fault, faulty understanding of the sacrament, lessened mental capacity, etc.

0 Likes

This is a home bound person. Bottom line here is a Catholic wanting to go to confession. If a priest comes to the house of a homebound parishioner to bring communion and the person requests confession prior to the reception of communion; the request should be granted. I am a EMHC, I have brought communion to longtime homebound parishioners who have told me on occasion they wish to have their confession heard before receiving.
I have brought their request back to the priest who has then complied with the parishioner’s wishes. Even if it is only venial sins to be confessed, why not grant their request & hear their confession. If this is what will bring peace of mind & soul to a parishioner, why not do so.

0 Likes

I don’t think you need to concern yourself if your sins are venial in nature for it is these type of sins which most of the faithful are committing. St. Maria Faustina also had these same concerns but the Lord Jesus gently corrected her by saying that when one unites with Him in Holy Communion it is a greater act that when one goes to Confession (here I am referring to those who only commit venial sins). Once she had decided not to go to Communion because of some transgression she had committed and she thought it was very grievous. The Lord Jesus appeared to her and asked her why she had not gone to Communion for it had grieved Him more that she had not received Him than what this transgression was. He told her that her transgression was not a deterrent in receiving Him. In fact He was teaching her to come without hesitation for His Mercy is always wide open in Holy Communion. It seems to me we need to be taught that more often. I also see many Orthodox not coming to Holy Communion because they had not gone to Confession or even when they had not fasted. I am talking here more of the faithful and in my experiences in Church the faithful are normally only committing venial sins. I am sure we need to be taught more that God accepts us every time we come to receive His Son when we are faithful parishioners. He desires this union with us and venial sins are never a deterrent to such a union.

0 Likes

Again, this is a homebound parishioner who has been having communion brought to them, not any of the aforementioned cases. This is a Catholic, who must be in good standing or the priest would not be bringing them communion to begin with. Confession of sins whether they be venial or mortal, brings graces that render peace of mind & soul to those who receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.