I'm looking at buying a bible

Hello All,

I'm looking at buying another bible as I am uncomfortable with the Anglicized text of my current version... :confused:

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Just to note i'm more interested in Authentic translations of the original than someone transposing words that might sound good. Especially since some of them seem very dodgy when they come to the Blessed Virgin.

God Bless & thanks in advance.

Chris

My favorite is the confraternity edition of the Douay Rhiems, but failing that I recomend the regular Challoner Rhiems. (Linked here)

The New American Bible, I have the Saint Joseph’s edition. I was told the New American is an approved version for use in the litergy.

I bought the bible as an e-book, and don't recommend it in that form. I like to be able to leap back and forth to look at multiple references, and you need paper for that.

When you say "Anglicanized", do you mean that they use "thee", "thou", use "-eth" instead of "-es", and use word order that is not conversational? This is what many would call "Elizabethan English".

If you are interested in something other than that, then I'd simply go with the Revised Standard Version.

If you are looking at something in between, then I'd go with the Knox Bible.

I'd steer clear of the NAB, personally. I find that translation lacking.

Here's a list at the USCCB site of approved translations from '91 to present:
LINK

Here's a tract right here at Catholic Answers:
Bible Translations Guide

The New American Bible (Revised Edition, if memory serves) can be read at the USCCB site:
usccb.org/bible/index.cfm

The Catholic edition of the RSV can be read at EWTN's site:
ewtn.com/devotionals/biblesearch.asp

Those are probably the most widely known translations. Personally, I'll read either one. They're both good, approved translations. Lately my preference has been for the NAB. The Psalms seem to flow better for me when praying them, and the footnotes are helpful. Check 'em out and see which you prefer! :thumbsup:

:shamrock2:

Well I would hit up one of the aproved translations

Douey Rheimes (I don’t like the speach but the translations is good)

New American is my favorite as it is (when Catholic Editions or St. Josephs) containing all books and correct translation.

Thanks very much i've got a lot to ponder :D

I will more than likely go for a literal translation over a dynamic maybe the RSV or something. What do people think of the Ignatius Study Bible? Basically it's the new testament only with input by Scott Hahn and Curtis Mitch? I've read a little bit of Scott Hahn and love his work so far.

[quote="khuldar, post:8, topic:318815"]

I will more than likely go for a literal translation over a dynamic maybe the RSV or something. What do people think of the Ignatius Study Bible? Basically it's the new testament only with input by Scott Hahn and Curtis Mitch? I've read a little bit of Scott Hahn and love his work so far.

[/quote]

I just picked up that study bible and I L O V E it :)

I am a fan of Scott Hahn and have read most of his works, they did a wonderful job with the Study bible, it is a RSV second edition and I highly recommend it!

[quote="khuldar, post:8, topic:318815"]

[/quote]

I would definitely recommend the Ignatius Study Bible. It has helped my understanding and appreciation of the New Testament immensely.

[quote="De_Montfort, post:9, topic:318815"]
I just picked up that study bible and I L O V E it :)

I am a fan of Scott Hahn and have read most of his works, they did a wonderful job with the Study bible, it is a RSV second edition and I highly recommend it!

[/quote]

[quote="Mystrx, post:9, topic:318815"]

I would definitely recommend the Ignatius Study Bible. It has helped my understanding and appreciation of the New Testament immensely.

[/quote]

Thank you both very much :clapping::clapping:, will definitely give it a go.

I have a few old bibles from my protestant / evangelical days that don't sit right with me now. Scott Hahn's Rome Sweet Home was a big factor in my conversion so anything with his contribution seems worth my time.

[quote="khuldar, post:11, topic:318815"]
Thank you both very much :clapping::clapping:, will definitely give it a go.

I have a few old bibles from my protestant / evangelical days that don't sit right with me now. Scott Hahn's Rome Sweet Home was a big factor in my conversion so anything with his contribution seems worth my time.

[/quote]

New Testament Study Bible:

Ignatius Catholic Study Bible: New Testament

Full Bible:

The Holy Bible: Revised Standard Version - Burgundy - Second Catholic Edition

New American Bible Revised Edition (St. Benedict's Press)

Peace,

Jose

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.