I'm needing references

…in either GIRM, Canon Law, or other concilliar documents as it relates to the priest “ad-libbing” prayers (especially the Kyrie and the Collects), adding an extra “meet and greet” before the Kyrie, and most importantly, the placement of the Tabernacle (that it should be in the central axis if at all possible, and not off to the side).

Thanks so much to everyone in advance!

GIRM: usccb.org/liturgy/current/revmissalisromanien.shtml
Canon Law: vatican.va/archive/cdc/index.htm
CDF: vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/index.htm
DWDS: vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/index.htm

Thank you for posting the websites. The problem is, I have really no idea of where to start looking (my own ignorance… mea maxima culpa) since I’m not really familiar with either. Since I’m needing these references fast (the next few days), I was hoping that others more knowledgable than me might have these particular ones handy.

For future reference, I will be reading both, when I don’t have tons of studying for college or music practice.

I added two more links :slight_smile:

I believe the reference is this one:

Redemptionis Sacramentum

[52.] The proclamation of the Eucharistic Prayer, which by its very nature is the climax of the whole celebration, is proper to the Priest by virtue of his Ordination. It is therefore an abuse to proffer it in such a way that some parts of the Eucharistic Prayer are recited by a Deacon, a lay minister, or by an individual member of the faithful, or by all members of the faithful together. The Eucharistic Prayer, then, is to be recited by the Priest alone in full.

There is absolutely no permission for a priest to “ad lib” the Collect or any of the other “proper” prayers of the Mass. The present English Sacramentary allows for the priest to come up with his own invocations for the Kyrie when used as the Penitential Rite (Form C). There are some places in the Sacramentary that allow the priest to say “these or similar words”, but the Collect is not one of them.

If there is a “meet and greet”, it should not be done as part of the Mass itself. That is, it should not occur once the Mass has started, so it should not come in between the Sign of the Cross and the Greeting, or between the Greeting and the Penitential Rite, or between the Penitential Rite and the Kyrie, etc.

Regarding placement of the tabernacle, see GIRM 314-315. It does not specify the central axis, although that was the traditional placement for several centuries.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.