I'm new to the faith & have a many questions

Hello,
to start:
I would like to hear what others have to say about wine & bread turning into the blood & body of Christ. I understand this is to be read as a literal truth, not a metophor? If, for example, one should take the host to a lab and have it examined test results would not show it as bread or wine but blood & flesh?
It is transformed? By whom? Personal interpretation?
I would love insights from all.
Thanks Sincerely.

Hello Terry! How new to the faith are you? Have you gone through RCIA yet? In any case welcome home!

Transubstantiation is the process by which the bread and wine on the altar literally become the Sacred Body and Blood of Jesus Christ.

The physical properties of the bread and wine usually do not change when transubstantiation takes place, however neither did it change at the Last Supper.

So to answer your question, yes it is a literal truth. If you have not already done so I would suggest you speak to someone at your parish and arrange entry into RCIA in which a lot of your questions will be answered.

God Bless

Peter

If you Google Catechism of the Catholic Church, you will find the complete document on line and free. Once there, you can go to the index and query “Eucharist” and also “transubstantiation”. This will tell you what the Catholic Church teaches regarding the Eucharist.

Hope this helps.

Another newcomer, welcome!

Terry,

The Catholic Church absolutely does believe that the bread and wine become the Body and Blood of Christ. It is a literal Truth, not a metaphor.

The bread and wine are transformed by the power of the Holy Spirit. Remember, the Eucharist is a sacrament, and all sacraments are done by a priest who is standing in the person of Christ. When the priest holds up the host (bread) and then the cup containing the wine and says the respective words of consecration (…this is my body…this is the cup of my blood…), this makes happen the action of Christ, the action where He changes the bread and wine into His Body and Blood. This change is called “transubstantiation.”

It is the SUBSTANCE of the bread and wine that changes. The APPEARANCE (all that you detect with your 5 senses )stays the same. So examination in a lab would still show bread and wine. There are many, many posts here on these forums where this has been discussed – I’m sure doing a search on “transubstantiation” will bring up several useful threads.

The bread and wine are NOT transformed: the form stays as bread and wine. They are transubstantiated. The substance changes, not the form.

Baking dough transforms dough into bread. The substance of wheat remains, but the form changes.

Jesus is fully human and full divine, why then can that thing happen to bread and wine? Being both bread and wine and flesh and blood?.

Hi terry, check out the thread entitled " does scripture support transubstantiation" a lot of questions are answered there. Welcome.

:thumbsup:

Could you please clarify this? Did you mean “can” or “can’t”? re
"that thing"?

Hi terryfromsea and welcome,

Here is a link that will take you directly to the Article on the Eucharist in the Catechism of the Catholic Church - paragraphs 1322 through 1419. Paragraph 1376 gives the Council of Trent declaration on transubstantiation. It would be good to read at least #1373 thru1381.

vatican.va/archive/catechism/p2s2c1a3.htm

Nita

No, one cannot detect the change by any lab test. Any more than one could have detected that Jesus Christ was God by any lab test. But Protestants never get hung up over that latter part. :slight_smile:

It is transformed? By whom? Personal interpretation?

It is transformed (correction: transubstantiated - nod to Evan :thumbsup: ) by God (in particular, by the Holy Spirit).

There is no personal interpretation involved. It is an objective fact, revealed to the Apostles (and thus to the Church), and taught by the Church from the beginning.

What you didn’t ask, but what is critical, is to understand why Christ comes to us in this form. It is because he is really and truly and forever Incarnate, perfectly become man and thus perfectly united with humanity. Real humans have bodies. Thus Christ has a body, now and forever. Christ in his fullness is now Christ embodied. And we in our fullness are also embodied. Thus for Christ to fully unite with us in this world, that unification must include both his body and ours. And that is why he comes to us as he does in the Eucharist.

I think you should join the current thread on “does the bible teach transubstantiation?” You may find a number of your questions answered there.

Since you are new, I will tell you that Catholics do not rely on personal interpretation for any of the doctrines of the faith, but on the Teaching of Jesus and the Apostles only.

I am reminded of the Eucharistic Miracles that have happened.

Here are a few…

therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/lanciano.html

therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/a3.html

biblia.com/jesusart/eucharistic.htm

Have you read the book of John?

The story of the fish and the bread is told first.

How did He feed so many with so little?

How was He born of a virgin?

How did He come back to life?

How did He rise into heaven?

How does He feed us His Flesh and Blood?

Because He is God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.