I'm not sure what to do

I don’t usually post this sort of question, but I would really appreciate having another person’s opinion.

I tend to be scrupulous, therefore, my rule of conduct is that when I’m in doubt whether I’ve commited a mortal sin or not I should receive Communion. However, when I examined a situation where I fear that I might have sinned, at first I was convinced I did, but when I thought about it a little more I realized that maybe I didn’t, and now I am in doubt.

Do you think I should receive Communion based on my present doubt or should I first go to confession, given the fact that I was sure I sinned at first?

Thanks a lot.

Get under regular spiritual direction with a regular confessor and then follow that person’s instructions on the matter.

I’d not risk it, I’d go to confession first.

This seemed helpful here…

"367. What is necessary to receive Holy Communion worthily?
To receive Holy Communion worthily it is necessary to be free from mortal sin, to have a right intention and to obey the Church’s laws on the fast required before Holy Communion out of reverence for the body and blood of Our Divine Lord. However, these are some cases in which Holy Communion may be received without fasting.

(a) Venial sin does not make us unworthy of receiving Holy Communion; but it does prevent us from receiving the more abundant graces and blessings which we would otherwise receive from Holy Communion.

369. What should we do to receive more abundantly the graces of Holy Communion?
To receive more abundantly the graces of Holy Communion we should strive to be most fervent and to free ourselves from deliberate venial sin.

Source: ewtn.com/faith/teachings/euchb2a.htm

You may be mistaking scrupulosity with examination of conscience, which we as Catholics are supposed to do often, especially before communion. I can’t offer better advice than that which has been presented so far. If you think that confession might be in order, you probably need it, if nothing else, to reduce your anxiety and blood pressure.

THIS^
. . . and, givien your own statement that you suffer from scruples, no one on this message board is qualified to answer your question beyond this, and you should disregard any other advice IMO.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.