I'm pregnant

I just found out 5 hours ago :eek: :thumbsup: :confused: :heart::

We’ve been married 9 months, never charted, or used nfp . I usually have an idea of when I had my period. In the beginning we were worried we weren’t fertile but we’re very young and forgot about it. I wasn’t expecting to miss my period this month given our track record. 5 days after I was late I said to my husband (today) “let’s get a test for laughs”. He said “well, let’s at least wait a week?” and being myself, I couldn’t wait and asked him to run into the store to pick one up. He got a pack of two.

We casually drove home, I read the instructions, and followed them. After I finished going to the bathroom I calmly washed my hands and looked over at the test. Two lines. This meant we’re pregnant? I looked at myself in the mirror, stared at the test for a couple of minutes and kept re-reading the instructions to make sure I was reading the results right. Then I walk out when my husband is emailing someone and he looks at me. “How did it go?” and I stand there speechless. I said “take a look in the bathroom”. I couldn’t say anything I was shocked. So he read the results, gave me a big hug, and has been talking about it ever since. It is a little overwhelming! I have to admit I have been feeling nauseous the last week. I took the second test two hours ago with the same positive reading.

I’m assuming I’m 5 weeks along. How soon should I make an appointment? Can I get a sonogram right away? I don’t want to think about it too much as I know there’s a slight chance it could be a wrong reading, or could end in miscarriage. Any advice welcome! Thanks!

congratulations !!!..

Your doctor will want you in fairly soon to do a dating ultrasound. They’ll tell what to do when you call the office office.

Best wishes!

Call the OBGYN and they’ll make an appointment. Depending on the doctor, they may confirm with a blood/urine test, or they may do a sonogram. At this stage, they would probably have to do the sonogram internally with a wand-like device and you won’t be able to see much. Possibly a shadow with a tiny flutter where the heart is.

Congratulations!!! Isn’t it amazing!?
God bless you, your husband and your little one!!!

You can call your health provider and they can tell you when to come in :).

Congratulations!!! Praying for a healthy pregnancy and safe delivery.

God’s Greatest Gift! :thumbsup:

C:clapping:ngratulati:clapping:ns!!

wow! congratulations!! this is the beginning of an amazing journey for you! I’d make a Dr app
when you can, being first bub they ususually like to do a few tests as well as make sure your immunizations are up to date. I’d also recommend you start taking a pregnancy susupplement or at least folic acid asap. congrats again and enjoy :slight_smile:

Congratulations!!!

O great Saint Gerard, beloved servant of Jesus Christ, perfect imitator of your meek and humble Savior, and devoted child of Mother of God, enkindle within my heart one spark of that heavenly fire of charity which glowed in your heart and made you an angel of love. O glorious Saint Gerard, because when falsely accused of crime, you did bear, like your Divine Master, without murmur or complaint, the calumnies of wicked men, you have been raised up by God as the patron and protector of expectant mothers. Preserve me from danger and from the excessive pains accompanying childbirth, and shield the child which I now carry, that it may see the light of day and receive the purifying and life-giving waters of baptism through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Congratuations!~
:blessyou:

Big congratulations! Don’t worry, it takes a while for it to sink in and feel real. About nine months actually… hehe :smiley: then it really hits you…:slight_smile:

On the practical side my advice is to wait until the 12/13 week mark to tell most people… just in case there is miscarriage. But then, also think of who you would want to know if you did have a miscarriage, the support of a close friend or two can be invaluable in such a painful loss - maybe just tell your closest friend/s and swear them to secrecy (and you are right to be cautious, it is very common, even in young women).

St Gerard - pray for Rose1987 and also my daughter and my nephew’s wife, who are also pregnant.

Congratulations Rose1987!

Congratulations! Take good care and rest well, you have a beautiful journey ahead of you!:slight_smile:

Congratulations!!! :smiley:

Congratulations & God bless you. Get to your OB/GYN ASAP.

:dancing:

Congratulations! Our first child was born on our one year anniversary, so, you do the math. :wink: It was in a situation like yours, neither trying, nor not trying. I wish you all the best and suggest a St. Gerard medal immediately as well as prayers for his intercession. And go get your teeth cleaned unless you just had it done. Again, congratulations! May God bless you and guide you and your husband as you await the arrival of your little one! :slight_smile:

Congratulations! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Congratulations!
Praying for a safe pregnancy and a healthy baby :slight_smile:

congrats!

as far as when to see a dr, it depends on the practice. it can’t hurt to call now. average first apt is probably at 8-10 wks, but they can range anywhere from 6-12. (in case you don’t know, how far along you are is measured from the first day of your last period, so you’re actually considered pregnant for twoish weeks before you actually ARE.)

here are some other things I learned:

1. don’t feel bad about finding somewhere different if the practice you chose doesn’t have the same vision you have.

2. if you have more than one hospital in your area, and you have a preference as to which one you want to deliver at, make sure the dr you choose has admitting privileges there. they’re bound by hospital policy, so it’s important that the hospital allow the birth experience you want. and keep in mind that at practices with multiple doctors, you’re not guaranteed as to which one will show up.

3. birth centers or using a midwife are alternative options for low-risk pregnancies that can be more laid back than hospitals.

4. check out what your insurance will pay for, how to add the baby, etc, as well as the financial policies of the practice and hospital, so you’re not blindsided by anything!

5. everyone gets really opinionated about what you should and shouldn’t do, eat, buy, etc :wink:

hopefully this doesn’t count as medical advice? I tried to keep it fairly non-specific.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.