I'm quitting smoking!

Hello Friends,

I will be quitting my filthy smoking habit in the next couple of weeks! (YAY!) This isn’t the first time I’ve quit by far, but I’m determined that it be the last. This is, however, the first time I’m quitting since becoming a “real” Catholic, and I am convinced that my faith and my prayer life will be my number one aid in the fight! (Well, I’m sure the Chantix won’t hurt either - LOL)

I am 38 and, with the exception of about 5 or 6 years, have smoked since I was 11 years old. And I smoke 2 packs a day. I’ve had enough! I am new in Christ and it’s time to shed the old!

Anyway, I’d be very grateful for some prayers to help me along. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much and may God bless you all! :thumbsup:

My prayers are with you. I’m a reformed 2-pack a day smoker…I’ve been clean close to 10 years now.

YOU CAN DO IT :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lord Jesus,
Help dhgray overcome the smoking addiction. Protect her from temptation. Bless her with clean lungs and good health.

Our Father, Who art in heaven…
Glory Be…

St. Michael, pray for us.

Amen

Awesome!

I’m 35, a relatively recent revert, and I’ve been without a smoke for a little over ten weeks now.

I can say with certainty that faith has played a large role in resisting the temptation to smoke.

Abstaining from meat on Fridays, fasting one hour before daily mass…I could go on and on about these things that seem ridiculous to outsiders and how they really work when real temptations arise.

And he that sat upon the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.”
~Revelation 21:5

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
~Philippians 4:13

Praying for you! I know you can do it with His help! :smiley: :yeah_me: :hug1:

(I quit a few years ago myself after a pack-a-day for about 9 years. YOU CAN DO IT!)

Lord please help our sister to overcome this addiction and find freedom in better health and enjoyment of life. Please draw her ever closer to You

Praying for you to over come this habit…Welcome to the Church…

I have two friends who were succeeded with no smoking by using Chantix, and these were serious more than a pack a day long term users!

Best of luck to you and I’m sure you will succeed!

And your house will smell better and you’ll have more money!

Good for you!! :slight_smile: :flowers: :yeah_me:

***† JMJTJ †

You will be in my prayers.***
***Good luck! :thumbsup:

***God bless you † ****

gOOD FOR YOU! i quit after 30 years and was a heavy smoker, too. I heard this thing that helped me: In 3 hours, the immediate craving wears off - in 3 days the nicotine is out of your system- in 3 weeks, your lungs being to repair- and in 3 months, the better part of the tar in your lungs is expelled- in 3 years, you are a non-smoker! I just kept shootin for the next goal…
praying.

Prayers promised

My prayers for strength and encourgement to break this addiction are being sent your way…I quit after 30 years ,and my Aunt did after 50 ,and i tell everyone ,if i could do it ,anyone could…I was so addicted…I give God all the Honor & Glory for his help in stopping and never smoking ever again…It will be 3 years in December for me…My steps were this…1)Lot’s of prayer 2) I used the nicotine patch 3) Sugar free bubble gum for many months( yes i walked around blowing bubbles, hey it kept me busy) and Lots of deep breathing and walking…I had also read somewhere that every time you take a deep breath in , think of it as God cleansing your body’s temple, with fresh ,pure clean air…also tell yourself alot that , I am a non-smoker, i said that one plenty…and breathing out all the devils gunk(only he wants you to keep smoking as he loves when people are addicted and causing havoc in their bodies) you will make him happy if you keep smoking…he gets some people ,still even after lung cancer, they are still addicted ,and the devil loves it…he’s still got them even after taking out half their lungs…So breath in God…breath out the devil…God will help you…After i decided to quit i walked up to a department store and got the patch…It was like 21dollars back then, and on the way home i found a 20 dollar bill under a cars tire…seemed like some heavenly help to me…You can do this…and when the craving comes along , strong , remember it will pass if you count till 10…He is your strength, your rock…lean on him…cleanse the wonderful body he gave you…You will make our lord happy…Warmly, Lynne Marie

Praying for your success! I have many relatives who have quit somking for good. If they can do it, so can you! Persevere!

Oh thank you all SO much! I am so very blessed to have found such a wonderful community here at the CAF! :smiley: You have all given me great advice and encouragement, and I know the prayers will do wonders!

I’m going to start the chantix today or tomorrow, and I think a novena or two as well. And when the cravings come, I will offer them all up to Jesus! :thumbsup:

Again thanks so much! You give me courage for my journey.

When the cravings come … and they will, exercise, don’t eat, them away.

closed #17

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.