I'm ready to just give up

Hi everyone. I am ready to just give up on trying to be Catholic. I have gone to confession three times in as many days and I am already in a state of mortal sin again. :frowning: I don’t know what to do. I am struggling big time with sin! :frowning: Please pray for me.

Merciful Lord, grant great strength to Holly, allowing her to realize your immense love for her and to turn her away from sin. Graciously direct her, by the power of Your Holy Spirit, to the help she needs to fight the temptation of the evil one. In Your mercy, may our prayers be joined with those of the Angels and Saints to form an endless petition for the grace of strength for our sister Holly. I ask this in the Holy Name of our Lord an Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen! Alleluia!

May our Lord grant you Peace and Strength to overcome all obsticles that hinder you.Holy Spirit I pray you guide her and help her to persevere.Eternal Father,forgive all of us our sins that we so easily commit and grant us courage to live for you.:signofcross:

Praying that you will have the strength and courage to continue your journey. All of us fall short.

Don’t give up. Did you think why God gave the power of padon our sin to priest? God know all of human are weak.
I want to share a story to you, please read it.
An old Farmer lived on a farm in the mountains with his young
grandson. Each morning Grand pa was up early sitting at the kitchen
table reading his BIBLE. His grandson wanted to be just like him and
tried to imitate him in every way he could.

One day the grandson asked, ’ Grand pa! I try to read the BIBLE just
like you but I don’t understand it, and what I do understand I forget
as soon as I close the book. What good does reading the BIBLE do?’

The Grand father quietly turned from putting coal in the stove and
replied, ‘Take this coal basket down to the river and bring me back a
basket of water.’

The boy did as he was told, but all the water leaked out before he
got back to the house. The grandfather laughed and said, ‘You’ll have
to move a little faster next time,’ and sent him back to the river
with the basket to try again. This time the boy ran faster, but again
the basket was empty before he returned home. Out of breath, he told
his grandfather that it was impossible to carry water in a basket,
and he went to get a bucket instead.
The old man said, ‘I don’t want a bucket of water; I want a basket of
water. You’re just not trying hard enough,’ and he went out the door
to watch the boy try again.

At this point, the boy knew it was impossible, but he wanted to show
his grandfather that even if he ran as fast as he could, the water
would leak out before he got back to the house.

The boy again dipped the basket into river and ran hard, but when he
reached his grandfather the basket was again empty. Out of breath, he
said, ‘See Grand pa, it’s useless!’

‘So you think it is useless?’ The old man said, 'Look at the basket.'
The boy looked at the basket and for the first time realized that the
basket was different. It had been trans formed from a dirty old coal
basket and was now clean, inside and out.

‘Son, that’s what happens when you read the BIBLE. You might not
understand or remember everything, but when you read it, you will be
changed, inside and out. That is the work of Jesus in our lives.’

Oh I can’t count the times that I’ve had to go to confession and humbly bring myself to kneel there and say the words ‘it’s been a day since my last confession …’

Yes, it’s frustrating as anything - but the graces are there for you, and trust me, you will find the time between your confessions quite naturally getting longer and longer as God’s grace works in you. If you need daily confession for a little while you need it, no-one ever got over a physical illness without going to the doctor, and no-one ever conquered sin without repentance and confession.

Pray pray pray - that’s the first thing. Not just when you’re tempted, but every spare moment of the day. Pray to grow in all the Holy Spirit’s gifts and virtues. but especially pray to grow in whichever virtues are in opposition to your sins.

Pray to love God more than anything, and pray for insight into how truly fleeting illusory and temporary are the gratifications that any sinful behaviour can offer. Thank God for these opportunities He gives you to take up your cross and follow Him. Thank Him for giving you the grace to use to His glory whatever God-given faculties you currently abuse with sin. He truly does, you know, is you ask for them. Dedicate and consecrate your mind, heart, body and soul to Him - a few times a day at least.

Secondly - run away, don’t walk, from ANYTHING that tempts you to sin, if it’s humanly possible. And pray - out loud if necessary - if it isn’t.

Turn off the tv, get off the internet apart from email, don’t listen to bad music, avoid books, magazines, or conversation - or people - that are an occasion of sin for you.

Fill your time with HEALTHY activity - go for a run or swim, read the Bible or other spiritually uplifting books, perhaps St Augustine’s Confessions would be good for you, or ‘Practice of the presence of God’. Listen to EWTN or other Catholic (or at least Christian) radio, watch EWTN or other Catholic or Christian tv.

There is an overabundance of good, Godly (or at least not conducive to sin) and uplifting things to look at and listen to out there in internet land - go get 'em!

Are you sure that this is a mortal sin? Or is it more of a habitual sin? You just need to have one confessor, a spiritual director who will guide you.

Holly,

Please don’t give up. It is a difficult battle but persevere in prayer against the obstacle. I will be praying for you.

praying. also for your health. I think many of us have felt this way from time to time. How often do you think I would sin if I left the Church or stopped going to confessin?

none of us are perfect. You are being way to hard on yourself. Life is a struggle, but praise God He is with us through the struggle. I will pray for you to have courage and understanding to accept yourself as you are.

Praying very hard for all of you!

Holly, leaving the Church is the absolute worst thing you could do. It would only make matters worse for you spiritually and desensitize you to that which you now know is wrong. Do not abandon this. you are not the only one who has had problems such as this. Cling to the Church and especially to Jesus in the Eucharist. Go before the Blessed Sacrament in adoration and just sit in the presence of our triune God. I say triune, because being one God, where one person is, there is always the other two. Let his divine presence come over you. Do it often. You will remain in my prayers.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

From the Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis Mary de Montfort pg 100, "Dear Rosary Confraternity members, if you want to lead a fashionable life and belong to the world–by this I mean if you do not mind falling into mortal sin from time to time and then going to Confession, and if you wish to avoid conspicuous sins which the world considers vile and yet at the same time commit “respectable sins”–then, of course, there is no need for you to say so many prayers and Rosaries. You only need to do very little to be “respectable”:a tiny prayer at night and morning, an occasional Rosary which may be give to you for your penance, a few decades of Hail Marys said on your Rosary (but haphazardly and without concentration) when it suits your fancy to say them–this is quite enough. If you did less, you might be branded as a freethinker or a profligate; if you did more, you would be eccentric and a fanatic. But if you want to lead a true Christian life and genuinely want to save your soul and walk in the saints’ footsteps and never, never, fall into mortal sin–if you wish to break Satan’s traps and divert his flaming darts, you must always pray as Our Lord taught and commanded you to do.

If you really have this wish at heart, then you must at least say your Rosary or the equivalent, every day. I have said “at least” because probably all that you will accomplish through your Rosary will be to avoid mortal sin and to overcome temptation. This is because you are exposed to the strong current of the world’s wickedness by which many a strong soul is swept away; you are in the midst of the thick, clinging darkness which often blinds even the most enlightened souls; you are surrounded by evil spirits who being more experienced than ever and knowing that their time is short are more cunning and more effective in tempting you.

It will be indeed a marvel of grace wrought by the Most Holy Rosary if you manage to keep out of the clutches of the world, the devil and the flesh and avoid mortal sin and gain heaven! If you do not want to believe me, at least learn from your own experience. I should like to ask you if, when you were in the habit of saying no more prayers than people usually say in the world and saying them the way they usually say them, you were able to avoid serious faults and sins that were grievous but which seemed nothing much to you in your blindness. Now at last you must wake up, and if you want to live and die without sin, at least mortal sin, pray unceasingly; say your Rosary every day as members always used to do in the early days of the Confraternity."

**I’ll pray a Rosary for you this week Holly. I know how it is to keep on struggling with the same problems over and over. Please keep me in your prayers as well. Thank you so much. **

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Holly, Please don’t give up. You must keep trying. God loves you so much. He wants you to be happy. Keep praying and and ask for his help. Know that others are praying for you and even though we are strangers know that we are brothers and sisters in Christ. Be strong. What ever you do, do not leave the Church. This is your hope. When I feel this way often I read the 23rd Palsm. I am praying for you.

St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls. Amen…

Still praying for you Holly!

Holly, please remember you aren`t in this battle against sin on your own. You have all the angels, saints, and your CAF family rooting for you. God will give you the strength to overcome your sins but this may not happen overnight. We are all sinners. The important thing is to try to turn away from sin. God is waiting for us in the Sacrament of Reconciliation when we fail. He wants us to be reunited with Him.

When you faith falters, ask God to increase your faith. Constant prayer is so important during times of spiritual weakness.

All of us our sinners. You are not alone. The fact that you are struggling to overcome your sin shows just how much progress you are making in your spiritual journey.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Sincerely,

Maria1212

Still praying for you Holly!

Good morning Holly.I will continue to pray for you.Please pray for me also.

You are in my prayers. May God give you peace.

Still praying!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.