I'm really, really fuming over this

Just saw this in the news:

foxnews.com/us/2010/07/09/university-illinois-instructor-fired-catholic-beliefs/

I'm ashamed that this happened at my own alma mater. I went to college and grad school there, and I'm a life time alumni association member. I have half a mind to write to the university and give them a piece of my mind. Is there anything I can do to help this professor who simply professed his own Catholic faith?

And where is the ACLU?

Are those crickets I hear?

Obviously, the ACLU is more concerned with gay rights than discrimination against Catholics.

[quote="BadTurkey, post:3, topic:204782"]
Obviously, the ACLU is more concerned with gay rights than discrimination against Catholics.

[/quote]

I used to be a fan of the ACLU until they lost their minds. I still think they are needed in a democracy, sort of like a crazy brother who rants and raves but every know and then (getting more and more rare in the case of the ACLU) they something/do something right.

Is this a legal matter though? Can't a private institution hire and fire who they want? Thankfully, we have the right to speak out against it though!

Just sent the dean an email to lodge a formal complaint against the firing of Prof. Howell.

There are already at least a couple of other threads open on this topic. :slight_smile:

So they employed him to teach Catholicism and then sacked him when he actually did teach Catholicism am I reading that right?

The little I've seen, I do agree that this person...if he's stating the beliefs of the church he belongs to....yeah, that's not right.

I might not agree with him, but he should have a right to say what he believes, and he has every right to follow the dictates of his church. If the school is following the doctrine of the church, they have every right to preach it.

That happens to be this church's doctrine, right? It's not like they are harming anyone.....a belief, however much I might not agree with it, isn't in and of itself a threat.

That's my take on it.

[quote="Rascalking, post:4, topic:204782"]

Is this a legal matter though? Can't a private institution hire and fire who they want? Thankfully, we have the right to speak out against it though!

[/quote]

Yup it is illegal to discriminate against someone based on their religious beliefs. And this guy should get straight on the phone to the Catholic League.

I cannot believe you people are whining about this. People have a right to not have to hear that what they are doing is wrong. No one has the right to tell anyone else that something they are doing is wrong or evil. That is left up to that person and their spiritual aura.

More importantly, people have a right to be shielded from the the ultra-right wing opinions of an old guy in Rome. What does he know about love? Nothing at all. If he did know anything he would write to Catholics about it, instead all we get is a bunch of moralizing with nonsensical names like, 'Deus Caritas Est'.

The school was right to shield people from any sort of universal truth.

How is a professor supposed to teach a course on Catholicism and Catholic thought if he is not allowed to inform his students what the Church teaches and what Catholics think? This is beyond nuts!!!

[quote="Rascalking, post:4, topic:204782"]
Is this a legal matter though? Can't a private institution hire and fire who they want?

[/quote]

The University of Illinois is not a private institution. The good citizens of the State of Illinois support it with their tax dollars.

[quote="rick43235, post:11, topic:204782"]
The "good citizens" of the State of Illinois

[/quote]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ponyguy/BoysIllinois.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ponyguy/Governor_George_Ryan.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ponyguy/george_ryan_cake.jpg

............... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ponyguy/Haha.gif

This embarrassment of a State is more crooked than a basket of rattlesnakes...

[quote="BadTurkey, post:5, topic:204782"]
Just sent the dean an email to lodge a formal complaint against the firing of Prof. Howell.

[/quote]

BadTurkey, can you post a link or email address? I would also like to object!

This is the department head's website:

relst.uiuc.edu/people/faculty/mckim.html

Thanks! :thumbsup:

If anyone is interested in reading Dr. Howell’s account of the events, as well as finding the contact info for the appropriate people to write letters to, there is a group on Facebook called “Save Dr. Ken”. You can receive updates as the situation unfolds and show your support.

</shameless plug> :wink:

Any updates on this? Haven't heard a peep from the university since I sent them the email.

There’s a lot more info on this thread: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=474398

Here is the joint press release from St. John’s Catholic Newman Center and the Diocese of Peoria:
sjcnc.org/news.aspx#20107161120587720763248238

It looks like representatives from the Diocese and from U of I will be meeting early this week to discuss the whole ordeal. The University is already in the process of reviewing the action through their appropriate governing body, the Senate Committee on Academic Freedom and Tenure.

Right now, I think it’s a wait-and-see scenario.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.