I'm scared for my friend

I have a friend, let’s call him Nathan, who is an active practitioner and believer in psychic ability. And…I don’t doubt what he can do. He bent the spoon (literally, no tricks) before my eyes, with his “mind.”

Okay, that’s great…mind over matter he says. He’s almost what I’d call a spiritual atheist. I don’t want to push my beliefs on him too much, but I almost feel like he’s mucking with dangerous forces. He’s joked to me that he’d sell his soul for the ability to do more than just the spoon. (He also knows my religious background)

When I tell him that he may already have, and that this is actually the devil’s magic, he just laughs. What should I do? Praying just isn’t working, and I don’t feel that it’s enough at this point.

It sounds to me, like your friend is dabbling in the occult. You are correct in your feeling, that he shouldn’t be messing around with such things. Pray the Rosary for him.

If I were you, I’d also go and speak with a priest about it. And then, whatever Father tells you, abide by his advice. Even if he tells you to avoid this friend. These situations are best left to priests, deacons and those who are trained in how to handle them.

God bless you.

He’s almost what I’d call a spiritual atheist.

**Did you ever read C. S. Lewis’s SCREWTAPE LETTERS?

In it, the demon Screwtape says, “When we are able to come up with a materialist magician, the end of the battle will be in sight.”**

Can you explain that screwtape Letters thing for me? I don’t know…if the Priest tells me to avoid him, I don’t think I can do that. He’s one of my closest friends.

The Screwtape Letters is a work of fiction by the English writer C. S. Lewis, in the form of a series of letters from a senior Tempter Demon in which he offers advice to a new Tempter.

Mr. Lewis was a powerful writer in the field of Christian apologetics, as well as a remarkable fiction author.

His apologetics book, Mere Christianity, has been offered on Youtube in the form of a series of short videos.

that’s definitely the occult. I agree with talking to a priest or an exorcist even lol someone who knows about such things, and what to do. Don’t give up praying. Maybe ask St Padre Pio to intercede for your friend, he had to deal with demonic attacks during his life. I hope everything goes well… be careful don’t get involved in this sort of thing yourself - lol I’m saying just in case - because once I almost went into stuff like that and now I see it’s so dangerous for the soul.

God bless

I highly doubt this kid is dabbling into the occult. He has just developed a special gift. Don’t ever let the mysterious works of the mind frighten you. :slight_smile:

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

How do you know it’s a special gift? I mean…if Padre Pio wasn’t a believer he’d be a satanist, yeah?

Everything the Saints did was for the good of souls. They didn’t just go around showing off ‘special abilities’. The healed the sick, their miracles brought people to repentance and faith in Christ.
I’ve never heard of God giving someone “special abilities”; however I’ve heard LOTS about demons doing this. God manifests His power through people… everything He does is for the good of souls…
the devil can perform counterfeit miracles.

How do we not know it’s a special gift. He has it, we don’t. Therefore, it’s special. It is no curse, therefore it is a gift. :wink:

how do we know it’s not a curse?

the devil can appear as an angel of light… some things might seem good at first, but draw the person even further away from God. If someone is an atheist and has a ‘gift’, it’s only from God if it helps them believe in Him…

If your friend is playing with the occult, inviting demonic influence into his life, he is not someone you should be around. If he had a contagious disease, you would stay at a safe distance, right?

Listen to your Priest.

St. Pio always submitted to his Priest and Bishop, all of his life was devoted to God. To compare him to an athiest is not realistic.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen *

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

Devoting all I can to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary

May I ask what prayers you say? Do you say the Most Holy Rosary?

*The following text of Father Gabriel Amorth, chief exorcist of the Vatican, is taken from the March-April, 2003 issue of "Echo of Mary, Queen of Peace."http://www.michaeljournal.org/rosarypower.htm *

Faith as Trust and Joy-Evangelium
The recent Apostolic Letter of John Paul II, “Rosarium Virginis Mariae” (released last October 16) encourages all Christians to turn back to the prayer strongly recommended both by the latest Pontiffs and recent Marian apparitions. Paul VI called the rosary a compendium of the Gospel. To make it more complete, John Paul II added the ‘mysteries of light’ to cover Jesus’ public life. Padre Pio called the Rosary beads a weapon of extraordinary power against Satan.

One day a colleague of mine heard the devil say during an exorcism: "Every Hail Mary is like a blow on my head. If Christians knew how powerful the Rosary was, it would be my end. The secret that makes this prayer so effective is that the Rosary is both prayer and meditation. It is addressed to the Father, to the Blessed Virgin, and to the Holy Trinity, and is a meditation centered on Christ.

Remember, O Most gracious Virgin Mary that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother. To thee do I come, before thee I kneel, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word incarnate, despise not my petitions but in thy mercy hear and answer them. Amen

Devoting oneself to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary:
Online Adoration of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament louisville-catholic.net/WebCameras/AdorationChapel/tabid/825/Default.aspx
True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin montfort.org.uk/Writings/TrueDev.html
**Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html
Preparation for 33 day consecration to the Blessed Virgin saintlouisdemontfort.com/consecration.cfm
Reflections on True Devotion to Mary by His Holiness Pope John Paul II http://www.michaeljournal.org/montfort.htm
**The Glories of Mary, ** by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains Hail Holy Queen http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/glories.htm
On the Dolors of Mary by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains the sufferings of Our Lady http://writer.zoho.com/public/immaculate/Seven-dolors
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us.
Divine Mercy Chaplet ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm
Rosary Confraternity Enrollment rosary-center.org/nconform.htm (As Pope Leo XIII said in his encyclical on the Confraternity, *“Whenever a person fulfills his obligation of reciting the Rosary according to the rule of the Confraternity, he includes in his intentions all its members and they render him the same service many times over.” * Each member includes deceased fellow members as well; and thus he knows that in turn he will be included in the prayers of hundreds of thousands both now and hereafter.

Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!
O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

(edit)

You guys seem to be more afraid of the *boy *rather than fearing for his soul. :ehh:

There is nothing wrong with him. He’s just different. :cool:

I’m afraid for his soul :frowning:

abilities like these are not natural. If they’re not natural, they’re supernatural. We know that not everything supernatural is from God. Whenever there have been cases like this…it’s usually been demonic… So - I don’t know for sure, of course but - I’m just speaking from what I’ve heard here… and the fact that he’s an atheist… if these abilities were from God, wouldnt they be leading him to faith :frowning:
I don’t know… I think it’s a good idea to maybe talk to a priest about this…

Go ahead, but I’m telling you, there’s nothing to be afraid of.

well I wonder how do you know that?

Would you not think an ordained Holy Priest would have just a tad more insight than you?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.