I'm scared. I'm going to be in purgatory until the end of time!

A while back I read this private revelation regarding purgatory:

***Hear what Father Rossignoli relates in his Merveilles du Purgatoire. A painter of great skill and otherwise exemplary life had once made a painting not at all conformable to the strict rules of Christian modesty. It was one of those paintings which, under the pretext of being works of art, are found in the best families, and the sight of which causes the loss of so many souls.

Soon, however, renouncing this pernicious style, he confined himself to the production of religious pictures, or at least of those which were perfectly irreproachable. Finally, he was painting a large picture in the convent of the discalced Carmelites, when he was attacked by a mortal malady. Feeling that he was about to die, he asked the Prior to allow him to be interred in the church of the monastery, and bequeathed to the community his earnings, which amounted to a considerable sum of money, charging them to have Masses said for the repose of his soul. He died in pious sentiments, and a few days passed, when a Religious who had stayed in the choir after Matins saw him appear in the midst of flames and sighing piteously.

“What!” said the Religious, “have you to endure such pain, after leading so good a life and dying so holy a death?”

“Alas!” replied he, "it is on account of the immodest picture that I painted some years ago. When I appeared before the tribunal of the Sovereign Judge, a crowd of accusers came to give evidence against me. They declared that they had been excited to improper thoughts and evil desires by a picture, the work of my hand. In consequence of those bad thoughts some were in Purgatory, others in Hell. The latter cried for vengeance, saying that, having been the cause of their eternal perdition, I deserved, at least, the same punishment. Then the Blessed Virgin and the saints whom I had glorified by my pictures took up my defense. They represented to the Judge that the unfortunate painting had been the work of youth, and of which I had repented; that I had repaired it afterwards by religious objects which had been a source of edification to souls.

In consideration of these and other reasons, the Sovereign Judge declared that, on account of my repentance and my good works, I should be exempt from damnation; but at the same time, He condemned me to these flames until that picture should be burned, so that it could no longer scandalize anyone."

If such are the consequences of an immodest picture, what then, will be the punishment of the sill more disastrous scandals resulting from bad books, bad papers, bad schools, and bad conversations?

Now I know there are sinful photos and other things of myself I posted online years ago and repented of, but I know those photos are out and will never be able to be completely eliminated from the face of the earth because they have been spread around and once something is online, it stays there forever.

So, even if I were to have perfect contrition for my sins and have a plenary indulgence, I’m still bound to purgatory because those things are still out in the public?

ANOTHER QUESTION

It says the man was excused from hell due to his “repentance and good works”. Does that mean that if he wouldnt’ have made those religious portraits, even after repenting of the sinful ones, he would have been damned?

And this raises another fear I’m having.

If one committed a mortal sin, such as distributing sinful media all over and can’t be completely rid of anymore…their mortal sin wouldn’t be forgiven because the media could never be completely eliminated, even if one repented of it?

Here’s a tract from Catholic Answers which might help:

catholic.com/tracts/myths-about-indulgences

Plenary indulgence + immediate death = no purgatory.

Period. End of story.

If you confessed it and received absolution, the sin is forgiven.

You are not obliged to believe private revelation either.

Was this written about 150 years ago? I ask because I’ve come across lots of these types of “stories” from that time frame. It’s like they used to get a kick out of being Jansenists. I’ve started reading, “Consoling the Heart of Jesus” and it speaks a lot about people portraying Jesus as a angry God back in the 17th century.

What about gossip? It goes out and can never be completely corrected. I don’t think God expects that result in order for a person to be forgiven.

Purgatory is nothing to be afraid of: your salvation is eternally secure, Satan and his hordes can no longer harm you, you can’t sin, you’re surrounded by goodwill, love, souls progressing towards that for which they were created: eternal happiness and union with God. I say it’s the next best thing to heaven. Speaking for myself, I’ll be infinitely relieved to land there rather than in hell.

That revelation sounds like a scarce tactic. It does not do justice towards the infinite mercy of God and the Sacrament of Penance.

I am scared as well. I’ve done a lot of things I am not proud of, and have repented. However, I fear that I will have a very long stay in purgatory :frighten:

Once in purgatory, your next stop is heaven.
And nothing can stop that.

Unlike here, where we can lose salvation, there salvation cannot be lost.

So there is joy to be found there.

Purgatory is not temporal.

ICXC NIKA

Let’s say a man dies today, he’s not known for being particulalr ly pious or God-fearing, has done everything in his power (which he had plenty of) to promote the culture of death, has been a womanizer all his life, Staunch defender of abortion, gay rights etc. Let’s say by no small miracle God judges him worthy of heaven. Will that man be in heaven tomorrow? Or this very day?

God’s mercy knows no limits to the genuinely repentant!

Consider what our LORD said to his (repentant) companion in death.

In any case, either Purgatory is temporal or it’s not. If not, then irrespective of the severity of the sins, there is no “duration” to be apprehended.

ICXC NIKA

Rather than ask if he is in heaven, might be better to ask as follows:
A person who has rejected a relationship with God his whole life, ignored God and gone against his call to goodness, cannot be said to know God. He has lived outside God’s presence his whole life. God and that man are estranged.

If he repents on his deathbed, he still does not know God very well. Heaven is unification with a person. Knowing a person takes time.
Thank God for the process of purgation.

My question, at its core, had to do with the time aspect of purgatory. If it’s not temporal, as you stated in your previous post, then everybody who dies today will necessarily be in heaven before the day is through. Then praying for aunt Clara to be released from purgatory 6 months after her passing does not make sense, does it? Or does God somehow use prayers said for Clara months or years after she’s died and apply them to Clara at the exact moment she dies? Are you following my drift?

Humanly speaking, one year for people very close to God and years and years, if not decades, of purgation for hardened sinners who had a last-minute change of heart makes sense. Though it’s certainly possible for God to rid a soul of impurities and attachment to sin in the twinkling of an eye.

Eternity does not correspond to time as we know it.
Our prayers can be helpful to any point God sees fit.
Someone can leave purgatory and the event not match any time in our world.

Purgatory seems to be an antichamber of eternity. Anyhow it’s all mysterious. I don’t think it’s a place either, more like a state, so you can’t really ‘‘leave’’. The mere fact that it’s possible for a transformation to occur in eternity boggles this poster’s feeble intellect. It’s hard to envision eternity as anything but static. ‘‘Movement’’, ‘‘motion’’, ‘‘succession’’, ‘‘transformation’’ all seem to be rooted in time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.