I'm sick and tired of constant drama in the church

I am so tired of evrything that has been happening in the church. The sex abuse scandal was beyond horrible. Now the media has calmed down about that, but they are having a field day because of the condom issue. I feel sick every time I see the Pope’s picture in the papers, expecting to read something negative. I used to be calm about the media bashing the church and spreading lies, but now I’m just scared. What is happening?
How are you dealing with the latest scandal? My faith has not been shaken but I am seriously tired of it all.

[quote="Contra_Mundum, post:1, topic:220863"]
I am so tired of evrything that has been happening in the church. The sex abuse scandal was beyond horrible. Now the media has calmed down about that, but they are having a field day because of the condom issue. I feel sick every time I see the Pope's picture in the papers, expecting to read something negative. I used to be calm about the media bashing the church and spreading lies, but now I'm just scared. What is happening?

[/quote]

Nothing new at all. The same thing that has been happening for 2000 years, Satan attacking the church by whatever means available.

How are you dealing with the latest scandal?

[/quote]

What scandal is that you are referring to?

Hey Man!

I don't like it either and I am tired of it. However, I am not afraid. I actually see it as a positive thing in a way. The Catholic Church is the strongest force for God and goodness in the world. The Devil will alwaysattack it so long as it exists.

When they pick up on an innocent moral statement of theology about the use of condoms in such a manner it really only shows the fear of the Devil. So, I actually see it as a strength and in the long run, God and Goodness will use their evil attacks towards good...

Just smile at the Devil

God Bless

My husband taught me something that works for me. Try praying the Divine Mercy chaplet regularly. It's very short, so even if you have a lot going on in your life, it's pretty easy to fit in. And it really does help you to keep things in perspective and not get so upset when you see the mess.

Sorry. But that’s what you get with a worldwide organization with 1 billion adherents that’s been around for 2000 years. You can’t expect no drama with anything the size, scope and influence of the Catholic Church.

[quote="poker10, post:5, topic:220863"]
Sorry. But that's what you get with a worldwide organization with 1 billion adherents that's been around for 2000 years. You can't expect no drama with anything the size, scope and influence of the Catholic Church.

[/quote]

Well, the Church is not an 'organisation', it is the mystical body of Christ.

Of course there will be problems, but things have just been so weird recently, everything revolving around sex. I think that at this point I'm just cross with the Holy Father because that condom statement has very much confused and scandalised many Catholics. This is not what we need, things are tough anyway :(

I dunno, the sex abuse scandal is a mixed blessing. If it weren’t for the scandal then nothing would have ever been done about pedophiles infiltrating the priesthood and abusing children. The cover up would have continued as long as people ignored what was going on.

At a certain point, I decided that since the Church really is the one true Church, started by Jesus, and it contains the fullness of the faith.

I can be upset by what goes on, but I have decided to stay, because there is no where else to go.

So, yes, there is drama and bad things and misunderstandings. It is unfortunate, but we just have to move on with it.

[quote="KostyaJMJ, post:7, topic:220863"]
I dunno, the sex abuse scandal is a mixed blessing. If it weren't for the scandal then nothing would have ever been done about pedophiles infiltrating the priesthood and abusing children. The cover up would have continued as long as people ignored what was going on.

[/quote]

I do agree with this. I'm glad things are changing for better. I'm just overwhelmed by constant media attention and their distorting of facts and people being confused and angry. I'm really struggling to focus on prayer because I'm so busy following what the media reports and how the church responds, and I get really worked up about it all.

It's very easy to feel beaten down by what's reported in the secular press, but one of the nice things about the Internet is that we can now get our news from Catholic sources. Same news, different perspective.

I stopped watching "commercial" new regularly years ago. I just decided that if something truly important happened, I would hear about it and so far, I've been right.

So maybe ... tune it out!

Hope you feel lots better soon!

The Pope did not say anything scandalous or confusing about condoms.

I am so tired of evrything that has been happening in the church. The sex abuse scandal was beyond horrible. Now the media has calmed down about that, but they are having a field day because of the condom issue. I feel sick every time I see the Pope's picture in the papers, expecting to read something negative. I used to be calm about the media bashing the church and spreading lies, but now I'm just scared. What is happening?
How are you dealing with the latest scandal? My faith has not been shaken but I am seriously tired of it all.

[/quote]

There is a great deal of anti-Church media.A good deal of the media wants to see the Church either close its doors or conform to its liberal and secular agenda.

[/quote]

There is a great deal of anti-Church media.A good deal of the media wants to see the Church either close its doors or conform to its liberal and secular agenda.

Everyone likes a whipping post that doesn't hit back.

[quote="Contra_Mundum, post:6, topic:220863"]
Well, the Church is not an 'organisation', it is the mystical body of Christ.

[/quote]

The one doesn't negate the other. It is still an organization.

[quote="1ke, post:11, topic:220863"]
The Pope did not say anything scandalous or confusing about condoms.

[/quote]

I disagree. Many Catholics are confused and scandalised. Obviously, this was not his intention but these are the unfortunate consequences.

[quote="GardenMum232, post:10, topic:220863"]
It's very easy to feel beaten down by what's reported in the secular press, but one of the nice things about the Internet is that we can now get our news from Catholic sources. Same news, different perspective.

I stopped watching "commercial" new regularly years ago. I just decided that if something truly important happened, I would hear about it and so far, I've been right.

So maybe ... tune it out!

Hope you feel lots better soon!

[/quote]

Thank you!

I think your advice is sound. I'll probably feel less stressed out.

Personally I think it’s exciting! and would ask why you are focusing on the negative?

Have you ever been to www.newadvent.org? If not, stop by and check out what links Kevin has posted that day.

Thousands of Anglicans, including Priests and Bishops are swimming the Tiber right now! Did you know that?

Today there is a story of an amazing Parish in Brooklyn, another regarding the Rapture (interpreting the Mass readings from yesterday), Advent understandings, our Pope’s Homily from yesterday etc…

There are always going to be some things that people misinterpret, it happens in secular news as well, sometimes they even intentionally mislead people for ratings (like Glenn Beck or Keith Olberman) but I still wouldn’t turn things off, rather often it might be a challenge to find the truth.

There is a lot to love about our Pope and the media, sometimes we just have to search a little.

And even with all the hoopla about the condom issue, if even 1 life is saved because some HIV infected person who is not going to remain abstinent decides to at least take a little effort and wear a condom, then even the hoopla is worth it to me.

Just my 2 cents…

Joe

[quote="Contra_Mundum, post:9, topic:220863"]
I do agree with this. I'm glad things are changing for better. I'm just overwhelmed by constant media attention and their distorting of facts and people being confused and angry. I'm really struggling to focus on prayer because I'm so busy following what the media reports and how the church responds, and I get really worked up about it all.

[/quote]

Turn off the tv, don't read the secular newspaper or listen to the secular radio shows. Its that easy. Most, if not all of the secular media outlets are going to have a very slanted view of any controversy or situation that involves the Catholic Church. Focus on other media outlets, focus just on your own diocese or parish if need be.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.