I'm so selfish.

The Church states God loves us all ‘infinitely’, but that would mean we are all basically equal in his love for us. In my opinion, that makes me all the less special. I just want God to get to know me, like another human, but instead, he knows everything about me. When I think about it a little, it sounds like a good thing, but the more I think of it, it isn’t. Is there a way I can set myself off from the rest and be more ‘special’ in the eyes of God? I must be deranged, or something.

I see what you are saying. My understanding is that He loves each of us as individuals, since that is the way He created us. No two humans were created identical; therefore, each of us can love God and enter into a relationship with Him in a way that no one else can. That is one of the reasons why it is such a tragedy when an individual turns away from God and goes to hell. Not only is the person depriving himself of eternal happiness with God, but he is also depriving God of a unique love that only that individual can provide Him. The Lord created your soul according to His will with the intention that you would be spending eternity with Him. Rest assured that he knows and loves you as an individual, not simply as one of many.
I hope that makes sense. :slight_smile:

So being loved by the creator of the universe who sent if only Son to save you and wants to share eternity with his love with you is not good enough for you? You want more???

Think about it… Just saying…:shrug:

Read up on St. Therese of Lisieux. Often called the Little Flower.
She was content to be “little” in the eyes of God.
Check it out. Fascinating reading, and inspiring.

littleflower.org/abouttherese/learn/FAQs.asp#6th

Especially her :“little way”

:thumbsup:

while I wouldn’t want to be ignored, I don’t want to be singled out, either.

Yes, :thumbsup: Fantastic, There is always a way to be a better saint and only He may need to know about it, but if it shines out we should not put it under a basket either.

Each of us is different, and unique in the Lord’s eyes. From *John *14:

1 “Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me. 2 ** In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?** 3 And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4 And you know the way where I am going.”

(emphasis mine)

I think this is like wanting to be your parents favorite child. Good parents love all their children as individuals, recognize their differences and similarities, but do not go about having favorites. It is not something to busy your time with.

God loves all of us, and not one of us deserves the kind of love He has for us due to sin.

The saints just wanted to do God’s Will and love Him with all their heart, mind, soul and strength, and love their neighbor as themselves, they weren’t concerned about being more special than others in God’s eyes. But they were more heroic in virtue than others, though I’m sure they did not think about it. God bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.