I'm so sick of the doubts that plague me every day!

Hi everyone. I am so sick of the doubts that plague me every single day! :(:mad: I wake up in the morning and my first thought is “What religion am I going to be today?” It gets so annoying! I don’t know what to do. My borderline personality disorder and ADHD causes me to want to change my religion frequently. I am being treated for both disorders. However, I suspect that my problem is at least partly spiritual as well. I just get so sick of being tempted and plagued with doubts. I know my above example was a temptation example but I have doubts too. I have very frequent doubts about whether Catholicism is true and whether Protestantism is correct or not. I mean, I know in my heart that the Catholic Church is true but I still have these doubts. Please pray for me and possibly offer me some encouragment if you wish. I could use all the prayers, encouragement, and advice that I can get.

Hi Holly,

One of my closest friends has BPD and she too struggles with her faith. I am praying for you both. When you have doubts, pray the Hail Mary prayer. Our Lady will lead you to her son.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen.

Thanks to both of you. Also, I will remember to say a Hail Mary or two when I am having doubts. :slight_smile:

Living in the present moment isn’t always easy to do.
One moment at a time is all God asks us to live.
I pray your ‘Hail Mary’ brings you closer to God in the present moment and that your doubts disappear.

If I were you I would look at things from the following point of view. Your love for Christ and His Church is quite evident. When you have thoughts like that instead of debating about which specific church to belong to just start to thank the Lord for giving you the grace of being a religious person.
After that you ask Him to give you the graces to see Him as a role model and to imitate him in your daily life. If you do that day by day you will be focusing more on being a good Christian through simple behaviors and I am sure that with time you will establish a relationship with Him and you will have the clarity to see why the Church is his Bride.
Just focus on Jesus Christ and His love for you. Once you truly accept His love even when you are confused or not behaving properly you will learn about his forgiveness and things will fall in place.
Start reading the daily scriptures, reflect on them, and then pray to God for clarity. It is a fifteen minutes spiritual practice and He will help you.

Praying.

God bless
Ut

Thanks everyone. :slight_smile:

Cristiano, I will try to remember your suggestion. :thumbsup:

Dear Lord, please shine Your light of truth upon Your daughter, Holly. Thank You for giving her the seed of faith. Lord, I ask that You grow that seed into a mighty oak tree that will lead other people to You. In Jesus name we pray.

Pray for the Lord to give you peace and the grace of final perseverance. I’ll be praying for you also Holly.

Please be assured of continued prayers for you.

In regard to Catholicism vs. Protestantism being true, you may want to look at the following thread.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=19069

I posted a very lengthy series of quotes and explanations in posts 93 - 111 trying to show the biblical foundation of the Catholic Church and then showing how the early Church clearly believed the same things that the Catholic Church teaches. Sadly, the person who started the thread refused to look at anything other that wasn’t in the New Testament as representative of the beliefs of the Early Church, and, consequently, the discussion was not able to move past the “my intpretation versus yours” level.

(By the way, I also posted this link in your other thread on refuting the “Great Apostacy” theory.)

I left the Church (for what was essentially agnosticism) in my adolescence and did not give any consideration to faith until my mid 20’s. At that time, I was invited to a Bible study by an Evangelical friend. When the group leaned that I had been Catholic, they brought up many challenges to the faith (“Why do Catholics believe…?”) to which I simply did not know the answer. This prompted me to study the biblical arguments for Catholic doctrine and the writings of the Early Church. I came to a simple conclusion: "If Catholicism is wrong, then so is all of Christianity; because Catholicism is the Christian Faith as taught by Jesus and passed on by the Apostles.

All of Protestantism rests on the only two doctrines with which that have nearly universal agreement; Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide. Yet, these two doctrines are contradictory.

Having abandoned the idea of an authoritative Church (Catholicism) the “Reformers” proposed that the standard for knowing the Christian faith is the Bible alone (sola scriptura). This belief contradicts itself because one must have assurance on what writings constitute Scripture. Where do we get this knowledge? Most of the writings do not make any specific claim to be Scripture. Many of the writings do not identify the author. So, how do Protestants know what writings constitute scripture? Unless they claim a personal inspiration from God (and I’ve never met one who did make that claim), they are relying on delcarations of the Church (their predecessors who passed on the Scriptures to them). Yet, if the declarations of the Church are not authoritative, then they cannot bind. Therefore, sola scriptura is self contradictory because it says there is no authority outside of Scripture that can define what we must believe, but all Protestants say that we must believe that the writings they accept as Scripture are indeed Scripture.

Luther’s doctrine on Justification says that we are justified on the basis of faith alone (sola fide). Yes, we are called to do good works, but they do not - in any way - play a role in our justification before God. Luther was so adamant about this that he even rejected certain passages of Scripture that clearly contradicted sola fide, including the entire letter of James; the only place in the New Testament that explicitly addresses the idea of being justified by faith alone - an it rejects that idea.

In my own spiritual journey, I also took a look at other religions. In each of these cases, I found inconsistencies that could not be reconciled. Some changed their moral doctrines over time, some had teachings that contradicted each other, and some contradicted the world as it exists (logically, the world as it exists should not exist if their teaching is correct.) Catholicism is the only religion that fits it all. I am not speaking of Catholics, but the Catholic Faith handed down, completely unchanged, for 2000 years.

There are many aspects of this Faith I find difficult to understand, like the Trinity and Transubstantiation. I do not doubt these teachings, however. There have been so many examples of the Church being right when the world stood against her, that I know I can rely on her as a sure guide through this life.

I hope that you can gain peace of mind. :slight_smile:

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen.

Our God, please give Holly the peace of Christ.

Praying for you, Holly.

Awww, it’s very hard to stay on one path. I will pray that you renew your Catholic faith.

It is a blessing that you have a curious mind and want to know about other religions. Just separate the desire for knowledge from the desire to compulsively and impulsively change religions.

Whenever you have a problem with impulse control, start praying!

Praying for you.

That oughta keep you Catholic!!

Still praying for you, Holly. And remember, even many saints had doubts about their faith.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.