Im sorry, I have yet another question about Mary, but it is from a catholic friend

Hi,

One of my catholic friends who knows I talk here wanted me to ask you guys a question.
Does the CC frown upon people who do not believe in Marion doctrines or honor her on feasts that go along with her or praying the rosary?

I will be relaying the responses to her. She does not have access to the forums.

A Catholic does not have to believe in the appearences of Our Lady at Fatima, Guadalupe, Lourdes, Knock, etc. They are not required to pray the rosary.

However, if a Marian feast is listed as a Holy Day of Obligation (August 15th is the Feast of the Assumption for example) the Catholic is required to attend mass that day. If a priest assigns pennance of ‘two Hail Mary’s’ or something, the Catholic is required to pray it.

Also, a Catholic IS required to believe in the Marian Dogmas; her immaculate conception, her sinless life, her assumption into heaven, her perpetual virginity…I think I’m missing one. I’m not sure if her coronation as Queen of Heaven is a dogma or not, but it’s just common sense so I don’t know why a Catholic wouldn’t believe it.

There is no such concept in the Church disciplinary structure as “frown upon”. :slight_smile:

Nobody needs to engage in Marian devotions, or do anything on any of her feast days unless the day is a Holy Day of Obligation (don’t know off the top of my head which ones are).

No, there are four Marian dogmas, those being

[LIST]
*]That she is Mother of God.
*]That she retained perpetual virginity - at all points of her life, before during and after the birth of Christ.
*]The Immaculate Conception - this is the doctrine that she was redeemed from original sin at the moment of conception, in anticipation of Christ’s sacrifice on the Cross, and remained free of original and actual sin throughout her life.
*]The Assumption - that she was bodily assumed (by God’s power, not by any power of her own) into heaven at the end of her life.
[/LIST]

the Coronation isn’t one of them.

A faithful Catholic is indeed obliged to believe all four of these dogmas, and, as has already been said, to attend Mass on those of her feasts which are Holy Days of Obligation (in most countries this would only be the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and/or the Feast of the Assumption).

Nothing else is required.

The rosary is optional. Doctrines and Holy Days of Obligation are not.

I missed the part in the question about Marian doctrines. Yes, Catholics are required to believe all the doctrines of the Church. If one is Catholic one is to believe Catholic teaching.

One is required to accept doctrines by not denying or doubting. Acceptance does not mean you necessarily need to be an expert. Acceptance means you believe Jesus founded a Church that is present till the end of time.

Why would anyone not give honor to Mary when God bestowed upon her the greatest honor in human history? Perplexing…:shrug:

P.S. What does “frown upon” mean???

Mary is a wonderful example for us to follow. The Rosary, the Marian doctrines, the Feast days, and the various other devotions that pertain to her are given so that we can learn how to follow her example of faithfulness and obedience to Christ.

Through these same things, we also get to know Christ a great deal better.

For example, knowing that Mary is the Mother of God teaches us that Christ is really God and really a human being, both at the same time.

In the Rosary, we meditate on some of the most important events of His life here on earth.

Wow you guys are fast!!

Thanks I will let her know.

What can I say, we’re all mommy’s boys and girls :wink:

Daddy’s too of course :slight_smile:

OK guys she has another question:thumbsup: She says:

Tell them that the reason I don’t want to pray to Mary is because it seems wrong to give her that much honor when we should be focusing on God and God alone. I recognize Mary’s significance in history, since she did, in fact, give birth to Jesus, but I don’t think we should pray to her like Catholics do.

The highlighted statement above is not accurate.

Your friend needs to come on here **herself **if she wants to discuss this. It’s not feasible to go through you-- a nonCatholic-- as a middle man. In addition to a second-hand message, it is inefficient to try to relay thoughts back and forth. If she’s that concerned about it she can come on here and discuss.

Alternatively, she can make an appointment to discuss this with her priest. She *clearly *lacks in the religious education department.

You stated your friend is a Catholic. Why would she state something in these terms if she is a Catholic?

Sounds to me like she’s not a Catholic.

Hi,
She cant come on because she only has access to the internet at work and they have apparently blocked these forums from her. She doesnt have the internet at home.

Print out these articles for her to read and pray about at her leisure:

catholic.com/library/Praying_to_the_Saints.asp

catholic.com/library/Saint_Worship.asp

catholic.com/library/Do_Catholics_Worship_Statues.asp

catholic.com/library/Mary_Full_of_Grace.asp

Thank you:thumbsup:

Only Mary has said with certainty

Luke 1:46

And Mary said: "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord

Does anyone want to contest that their particular soul magnifies the greatness of the Lord the same way Our Dear Mother does?
Any takers?

Or do you know anyone that said:

Luke 1:48

For he has looked upon his handmaid’s lowliness; behold, from now on will all ages call me blessed.

It was not a Catholic invention, it was by the design of Her Divine Son. It does God a great injustice if don’t acknowledge all the creation, because the Cosmos, the Earth, the Nature, all give glory to God because He made them. But these are nothing compared to what God did with Mary.

I guess my question to you, ALLFORHIM, is how do you think Catholics pray to her?

Tell your friend that as was said before, one is not required to ask Mary for her prayers.

I would also ask her what to define what she means by “pray to her like Catholics do”. This is a very vague statement that frequently the person does not actually understand the how or why Catholic Christians ask Mary to pray for us.

Defining “pray” would be part of the question.

God Bless,
Maria

MariaG, I would argue, that it is, otherwise you are not participating in the Mass (at least in the Latin rite).

I confess to almighty God,
and to you, brethren,
that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word, deed, and omission:
through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault.
Therefore I beseech blessed Mary ever Virgin,
all the angels and saints,
and you, brethren,
to pray for me to the Lord our God.

Saying, its not necessary to pray to the Virgin Mary, is almost akin to saying its not necessary to pray to the Saints…“we believe in the Communion of Saints”.

Follow up to the above.

For most non-Catholic Christians and even for some Catholic Christians (myself for awhile), it IS wrong to ask Mary for her prayers. For these people, they are unable to separate out worship which is for God alone, and honor for Mary. For these people, they can only conceive of “praying” as they do to God. All the head knowledge in the world does not change how it “feels”.

If one is praying to Mary as one prays to God, then they are completely wrong and not acting in the Catholic Christian tradition. In the language of most people today, one needs to be asking Mary to pray for us, just as you would ask a very well respected and strong Christian that you look for Christian guidance for your prayers.

God Bless,
Maria

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.