I'm starting a novena today for St. Therese to send me a rose if being an economist is really my vocation?

I don't want to write an autobiography here or anything, but for most of my life I've always wanted to become a scientist. I generally believed that to work in the science industry would be my fate.

Then when I was about 15 or so, and at school we had to pick our "optional" subjects, I was very close to picking Physics/Biology and some other subject. But I saw the word "economics" for the first time in my entire life and instantly this huge ''urge'' came over me to pick the subject. I then read further down that those who graduated with an economics degree generally end up with the highest salaries. However, it's important to note that it is NOT because of monetary reasons that I like economics, as I read this fact after the urge came over me to do it. As a matter of fact, I was very close to dropping the subject again when we had to pick our subjects for a qualification that comes later here, when I was about 17. Again, I just felt this slight nudge for me to pick Economics.

Many have said that I am extremely good at economics. My economics teacher described in my report that I was a "promising economist". I also had a counterpart who said I had proved myself to be a top economist and that I deserved to study the subject at a leading university.

I know my non-religious vocation isn't as spectacular as some others here who may have experienced visions, dreams, locutions and whatnot. But nonetheless, I still feel this is important for me.

I am starting a novena to St. Therese for her to send me a rose of some sort if being an economist - particularly academic economist - is indeed my vocation. Is this acceptable? How should I interpret it if I receive no rose within the time period of making the novena?

I'm very worried because all of sudden here, economics has become a popular subject at university, now rivalling Medicine and Law. I am quite convinced that God has called me to this, but I am highly fearful of whether God will lead me through this intense competition (I don't go to a private school), and first and foremost, whether I can have a peace of mind concerning this.

Thank you,
*Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk *

I have noticed that you previously began a discussion about the priesthood. Is it possible that the Lord is calling to be a priest or religious? For instance, know that there have been many Jesuit scientists.

[quote="Young_Thinker, post:2, topic:213906"]
I have noticed that you previously began a discussion about the priesthood. Is it possible that the Lord is calling to be a priest or religious? For instance, know that there have been many Jesuit scientists.

[/quote]

I don't recall asking anything about the priesthood. I did ask however, whether and how priests/the Pope confess their sins. I am very sure that God is not calling me to the priesthood. I am quite sure that he is calling me to be an economist, but I'm still discerning.

Thank you,
*Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

[quote="Bohm_Bawerk, post:3, topic:213906"]
I don't recall asking anything about the priesthood. I did ask however, whether and how priests/the Pope confesses their sins. I am very sure that God is not calling me to the priesthood. I am quite sure that he is calling me to be an economist, but I'm still discerning.

Thank you,
*Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

[/quote]

I see. Well, good luck.

[quote="Young_Thinker, post:4, topic:213906"]
I see. Well, good luck.

[/quote]

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

You are welcome, Herr von Boehm-Bawerk.

St Therese of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face, please pray for Eugen, that he may know God's will concerning his career. You believed that even the smallest task done with love could convert sinners. Pray now for Eugen, that whatever God's will is in his life, he may fulfill his occupation faithfully, with wisdom and moral courage. May he serve as a witness in the world of business, if it be God's will and through his example lead others to Christ and His Church. Please send him a rose with a favorable response.

St Therese, pray for Eugen!

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.