I'm staying in a haunted hotel this weekend!

My significant other made us reservations for a Holiday Inn in Gatlinburg, TN this weekend.

However, I did a little research on this place and it is supposedly haunted! :eek: Its just a couple of rooms, but still.

What is the Church’s stance on ghosts? Should I take anything? I’m only staying over just one night, but still.

Any help or suggestions?

Your significant other? As in… your spouse?

I think that living in a state of sin has a more terrifying consequence than any potential encounter with ghouls at the Holiday Inn could be. Just a thought…

The Church does not teach that ghosts exist. It teaches that once someone dies, the soul goes to Heaven, Hell, or Purgatory. It is not possible for a soul to stay behind on earth.

Pax Tecum,
Zach

Jumping to a few conclusions here? What was the thread about “thinking ill of another person?” The poster lists his/her religion as Catholic—not willing to extend benefit of the doubt until other details come to light?

The poster doesn’t specify that they are sharing the same bed or even the same room. There are plenty of adults who do not feel comfortable referring to the person they are dating as “boyfriend” or “girlfriend” as they feel it is too juvenile and may choose the term “significant other.” It is possible for two adults to travel together without also having sex.

Now this may or may not be the case with the poster. The point is, one doesn’t know based solely on one phrase.

You don’t need to do anything special just because beings are where they shouldn’t be.

If you should occasion that a spirit can actually converse with you and even be understood, tell him he’s dead(say it a few times) and serving purgatorial time and making this world miserable, and if doesn’t want to extend that time in no-man’s land he should go elsewhere and spend his time praying and praising God in hopes of shortening that time instead of focusing on residing in a material place in another dimension.

Phewwww, all in one breath too. :wink:

If he’s hostile pray aloud, that gets them to back off. If you wake having trouble breathing(like when they simulate choking or sitting on your chest while your in a helpless position, pray in your mind. Mention Jesus many times.)

That should get his goat real quick.!

2C :smiley:

AndyF

Ghosts are one of 4 things:

1. Demons
  2. Natural phenomena that has yet to be explained
  3. A hoax
  4. A halluncination.

I don’t believe souls go around wreaking havoc on earth, especially if they are souls of people who have died in a state of grace. Why would a good person want to scare anyone?

God Bless,
Michael

The *Catechism of the Catholic Church *states, “All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to ‘unveil’ the future [cf. Deut. 18:10, Jer. 29:8]. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone” (CCC 2116).

That includes worrying about ghosts.

With all due respect to the previous post, we must realize that the Church still “employs” exorcists.

You could bring a Crucifix or something, set it in your room, and just assume (trust) that nothing is going to happen.

And definetly don’t worry about it.

I checked the poster’s religion on the info page too. Apparently the poster believes in superstition, which is contrary to Church teaching. And the poster did use awkward phrasing to explain the situation.

I don’t think ill of the poster (my what a waste of time that would be!). I was only making the point that (s)he may have other things more worth worrying about.

all of this above is entirely NOT in keeping with the teaching of the catholic church. no communication whatsoever should be attempted with any spirit form.

If he’s hostile pray aloud, that gets them to back off. If you wake having trouble breathing(like when they simulate choking or sitting on your chest while your in a helpless position, pray in your mind. Mention Jesus many times.)

If it’s hostile, it’s most likely a sinister or demonic/diabolic manifestation. Prayer (aloud too) is definately the best recourse along with INSTANT communication with a GOOD priest. attempting to “cast out” a spirit on your own is EXCEEDINGLY dangerous, however, so all prayer should be solely between you and God and should focus on protection of you and your loved ones without attempting to establish contact with any evil force.

With all due respect to “Man” nothing in the post before his mentioned anything about the valid rite of excorcism (which is ENTIRELY different from any form of devination)

Ghosts don’t exist. We scare kids with them for fun. They are as real as Freddy Krueger or the tooth fairy. (edit - oh, for the kids reading, the tooth fairy is real. There will be money under the pillow.) :stuck_out_tongue:

Didn’t the apostles originally think that the risen Christ was a ghost? Does this show that they believed in ghosts? That wasn’t very catholic of them.:smiley:

But demons surely do. Any “ghost” is likely a demon.

God Bless

is that church doctrine or the stbruno interpretation?

as for the ghost thing… sorry, there are none. it’s a tourist trap to give some atmosphere to the area.
but as far as ghosts… i gotta say i don’t think there are any such things. and this is coming from a guy who vacations every october in Salem, Mass.

From the AAA forum:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=68370

I remember hearing a story about Padre Pio seeing a soul from purgatory in Fr. Andrew Apostoli’s EWTN series on Padre Pio. Sorry, I don’t remember which episode it was.

That was a direct copy of the Catholic catechism…the number is listed…check it out.

Maybe this link will help explain the church’s stand on ghosts and the occult. americancatholic.org/Newsletters/YU/ay1001.asp

Jesus sure acted at if ghosts existed:

Luke 24:39 “Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones as you see I have”.

I would imagine that a ghost is a spirit of some sort.

Jon

The word “ghost” or “spirit” here understood from the words “spiritus carnem” from Latin. This means something like disembodied spirit, or spirit with the meat removed. The verse showing that Jesus, though He had died, was resurrected in such a way that he had flesh and could eat.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.