I'm still confused about rose vestments during Advent and Lent!

If they were the last Sunday or first Sunday I could understand but why one Sunday in the middle and then no more, back to violet?

People say it’s rejoicing but halfway through Lent? Wouldn’t Passion Sunday be better for it?

2 Likes

I think it’s the third Sunday of Advent, fourth Sunday of Lent.

The whole point is for them to be in the middle of those two penitential seasons, to act as sort of a break or respite from the penance and sobriety of the season. It’s sort of like how most sports have halftime in the middle of games, to give the athletes time to rest

5 Likes

You understand correctly - I don’t think anyone can add much to that.

Tradition is tradition, so that’s how it is.

However, I think it’s unique to the Latin church. If you look at all the vestment colors through the church year, various other colors are found among the Eastern churches and even in the Western tradition in the Mozarabic rite and the Anglicans.

If I were going to design things from scratch, I’d probably add some of those colors to the calendar before going for pink in the middle of Lent and Advent, but we accept that it is not ours to change. And if you really dislike pink, remember that it is an optional color on those Sundays- violet remains a standard color throughout those penitential seasons.

I think the rose vestments are a sensible reflection of real life. During times of sorrow in life there are also moments of joy. The entrance antiphon that is traditionally sung at the beginning of Mass on Laetare Sunday (the Fourth Sunday of Lent) speaks of the joy we should possess.

Lætare Jerusalem: et conventum facite omnes qui diligitis eam: gaudete cum lætitia, qui in tristitia fuistis: ut exsultetis, et satiemini ab uberibus consolationis vestræ.

Psalm: Lætatus sum in his quæ dicta sunt mihi: in domum Domini ibimus.

In English it reads:

Rejoice, O Jerusalem: and come together all you that love her: rejoice with joy, you that have been in sorrow: that you may exult and be filled from the breasts of your consolation.

Psalm: I rejoiced when they said to me: “We shall go into God’s House!”

Peace.

3 Likes

A practice of the Byzantine Catholic Church is mid-lent celebration of the Cross which dominates the hymnology of Third Sunday of the Great Fast (Veneration of the Holy Cross), developed in terms not of suffering but of victory and joy .

From Vespers:

Shine brightly, O life-giving Cross of the Lord; the rays of your grace enlighten the hearts of those who venerate and piously embrace you. Through you, the tears of our eyes have been dried up, we have been delivered from the snares of Hades, and we have a share in eternal joy. Show us the splendor of your beauty; grant your gifts and blessings to the faithful who pray with faith for your protection and great mercy.

I heard a deacon during the advent season once give a homily and in it he spoke of the rose colored light just before dawn, and he linked that to the coming of Jesus. It was a beautiful illustration.

It is, but the 4th Sunday being rose would lead more naturally to that symbolism.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.