I'm switching parishes. Is it wrong?

OK I got one child in, the most pertinent one too as she is my most difficult child. I guess I am homeschooling my first year kiddo. Here’s the book they use:

comcenter.com/product/5835/

I like that it’s described as teaching children how to grow and worship in a Hispanic Community, hwo to understand the rituals and practices. I didn’t think I would need bilingual, but I am glad for the extras they teach.

I think it important that one attend the church where one is nourished. That is a little hard when you don’t speak the same language.

I hope I didn’t come across as implying that you weren’t doing your job as a parent in educating your kids!!! I didn’t mean anything like that. Just that since it’s up to the parents to educate their kids, CCD is to help with that, you should be able to home school them for catechism. Sorry if you thought otherwise!:blush:

This is why I absolutely refuse to register for a parish. Why commit myself somewhere if it is as hard to switch as you describe. I have no idea where I will be when I graduate law school so I better not register anywhere until I pass the bar somewhere and have a job and know where I am going to be and this won’t be for a few years.

when we lived in Cleveland and encountered “ethnic” parishes for the first time it was culture shock, because we had been used to the discipline that you are obligated to belong to your residential parish, worship there and support it, and send your kids to its school. So we walk 4 blocks to the closest Catholic Church and the language was nothing we had ever heard, certainly not English, Latin, Spanish, German or French. Turned out to be Hungarian. We tried to baptize our daughter at the parish closest in the other direction but could not register because we were not Italian. There were 4 Catholic churches w/i walking distance, but we had to go across the rapid tracks (adding 15 min. walk time and distance) to the “generic” parish. We moved further east and found the same situation when it was time to put our kids in school. Could not be admitted to the Italian, Lithuanian, or Slovenian parish, so went to the (formerly) Irish parish.

bottom line you should worship where you can best participate and understand the liturgy. Yes, you could with great effort learn enough of the language to follow along the gist of what is being said, but worship, prayer and spirituality are not like academics. There is a language of the heart when it comes to prayer, that does not translate easily. (that is one reason those of us English speakers brought up in the Latin Mass experienced such dissonance when the language and manner of worship was changed so abruptly).

This also holds true for the Spanish (or Korean, Vietnamese, Filipino or other) speaking Catholics. They should not just be told “hey you’re in American learn the language.” That applies to business and education, perhaps, but not to worship, prayer and spirituality, or catechetics.

OP does not state residence state, but here in SoTex it seems more or less expected that in each town there is a “Mexican” parish and an “Anglo” parish. Those historic distinctions (not without a trace of prejudice and segregation sentiment) are fading somewhat, but it does help people find a home and comfort level in their parish.

the bishops have directed that special care be taken to welcome those who are in this situation, specifically migrants, but also military families and others in like situations that involve a lot of moving. Also new parishioners should never be shut out of CCD and sacramental programs. that being said, and this philosophy being spelled in in diocesan particular law, mine is the only CCD program in town that is not closed by the first of September.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.