I'm thinking of going back to school in January

This is a really tough decision. I have two years left to finish my Nursing degree. I’ve taken several years off because my kids were just too young and it was impossible to do. My deferrments end in Dec. So, I either have to get a job and start paying my loans back or go to school at least part time. The downside to this is I’d have to find child care arrangements for Jacob. :frowning: We’re hoping my SIL would be interested in watching him, but I haven’t asked her yet.

We really need for me to get this done. It is so hard to support these kids on one income, and they’re just getting more expensive as they get older.

On the other hand, money is really tight right now and I am supposed to meet with a couple this weekend who want me to watch their toddler full time. We really need this cash right now. But I don’t feel right taking something like that on if I’m just going to turn around and go to school in a few months.

Another issue is that I’m really scared because I feel like I’ve forgotten everything I’ve learned so far, especially in my nursing and chemistry classes. I have to take biochemistry in the spring before I can continue any nursing classes and I STINK at chemistry. And I’m sure i’ve forgotten all the basics. I’ve already had to drop out of that class once because I was so lost. That could’ve been because the teacher was horrible. The teacher who teaches in the spring is supposed to be very good, so I’m hoping and praying that’ll be what it takes. I have to get an A or else I will have to take another science requirement over again. My science average got messed up my last semester because I was so stressed out with the kids that I got a D in Genetics. :frowning: :frowning: This really aggravates me because I know I’m capable of pulling A’s and B’s, but that last semester I almost had a breakdown because family life was not mixing well with school life. I’m hoping this will be better this time because my kids are older and more independant.

I also have reservations about finishing with nursing. I’m afraid I won’t be good at it or that I don’t have what it takes. I guess it’s scary because I haven’t actually worked in ten years. So the thought of jumping into such a serious career like that is very very intimidating. I’m scared! (I’ve never told anybody that before :o ).

ugh, this is confusing. I feel like I need to do this for my family’s overall well-being. But I’m torn because I still want to be a sahm.

Maybe DH and i will just win the lottery tonight and I won’t have to worry about it anymore…

I don’t have much of an answer for you but to pray.:gopray2:

But on the practical side (not that prayer isn’t practical), sit down, get a piece of paper, and write down the pros and cons of going back to school and finishing your degree. After you do, ask the Lord to guide you to your decision. Understand that if you do go back, the sacrifices will be tremendous, but it will be worth it. God gave us the intelligence and the means to be able to take care of our families in ways that best fits our abilities. Give thanks to Him for this.

As a full-time working mother who is going to school to finish up her degree, I totally understand where you are coming from. Two years is not a lot of time, if you put it in perspective.

God bless you, and I’ll keep you in my prayers.:slight_smile:

Thanks for the prayers. :slight_smile:

I know the two years will fly by. I guess it’s the “getting started” that’s the hard part, lol…

I just don’t want my kids to suffer. My mom went to school full time when I was growing up and she studied all the time. Looking back on it now, I can see how much it negativey affected me because I was basically left on my own most of the time. It was very lonely. I remember I HATED it when she sat at that table with her funky looking glasses on and she’d mumble to herself. It was like nails on the chalkboard. So, I guess I’m really afraid of my kids going through the same thing.

It’s great that you remember, so you can do differently. If you’re aware of the need to spend time w/ your kids, you can arrange your schedule to allow for that. An education is a good thing, so I’d say at least try for a semester and see how it goes. —KCT

I’ve just started back myself. I’ve not been in school for ten years. I’m in a two year program to become a certified medical coder. Supposedly there’s oodles of work from home opportunities in this field, and the pay is reasonably good. I already have my undergrad work done, so I’m hoping it won’t take the full two years.

There’s lots of students in this program that started out as nursing students, but decided they didn’t have the stomach for the guts and glory. If you’re interested, check out the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) website. The program I’m in offers their classes in the evening, and some classes on the internet.

Here is the catalog of Houston Community College Health and Medical Sciences Department (this is a pdf file that may take a moment to download). Scroll down to page 103 and you’ll see the courses necessary for the associates degree. I’m not going for the associates degree myself right now, I’m just going for the coding certificate which you’ll find on page 104. There is an exam you must take to become certified once you finish the program.

Like you, my first priority is being a sahm, so when I heard about this program and all the work from home opportunities for coders, I knew I really didn’t have a choice, I had to do it. The head of the dept said that nearly all of the medical coders who work for MD Anderson Hospital work from home and come into the office only when they feel like getting out of the house.

I’ll have to find childcare for one day a week starting sometime next year when I sign up for a practicum course (sorta an internship thing I think…). That’s not bad, that’s actually a good thing for my son to have some socialization, and it shouldn’t cost too much. Then I’ll have to work outside the home for maybe a year to establish myself in the field. But after that, I stand a very strong chance of having a good paying job in the medical field which I can do from home.

Whatever decision you end up making Mason, I hope it’s the right one for you and your family! May God bless your efforts!

Here’s something I found about Health Care Office Management @ the University of Akron. The have “Medical Billing” under their certificate programs, and they mention that you can do it from home.

It’s certainly not as “glamorous” as saying that you’re a nurse, but the pay’s good, and you might be able to keep your babies to yourself while you work!

If I were in your position, I would start a 54 Day Rosary Novena to discern God’s will in your schooling situation. Our friends started one to discern God’s will in their lives, and after a couple of weeks they conceived a surprise baby :slight_smile: We started one to discern His will for our housing situation and now our house is on the market and we’re negotiating a contingent contract in our dream neighborhood. A friend started one once when unemployed, and you guessed it, on the last day a job offer came! I’m a BIG believer in 54 Day Rosary Novenas.

rosarycreations.com/rosarynovena.htm

I don’t rotate the mysteries, I just pray whichever mysteries I would normally pray (Monday Joyful, Tuesday Sorrowful, etc.). The main thing is to just pray 5 decades a day in petition for 27 days (or 3 Novenas) and then 5 decades a day in thanksgiving for another 27 days, whether or not the prayer has been granted yet. At the very least this will give you spiritual benefits, and I’m confident that God will show you the way He has prepared for you. Pray that He opens the doors no man can shut and that He shuts the doors no man can open. If at all possible, it would be great if a friend or relative could pray this with you, but if not, ask your Guardian Angel :thumbsup:

Nursing education is challenging; it has to be, the lives of our patients are in our hands. We have the privilege of being with others during the best and worst times of their lives and we have to have to be present to them in order to deliver the art and science of nursing. If you are following God’s will, despite the challenges, you will succeed.

As one who waited many years after my Associate Degree to return for a BSN and many more years to pursue an MSN, then Ph.D, I can attest that’s it is possible and difficult for the student and the family. I offer the following suggestions:

I agree with the recommendations to list the pros and cons, and to pray for discernment of God’s will for you and your family; remembering your primary vocation of wife and mother and to follow His call.

Contact your academic advisor, if your previous advisor isn’t available, or you two didn’t see eye to eye on things, ask for another one. They won’t tell you what to do, but will probably offer suggestions for helping you figure it out and, if you do return to school, help you work out a schedule that best fits with your needs. In graduate school I was blessed with a wonderful advisor who seemed to go out of her way for every student to find what worked best for that student. She didn’t bend or break the school rules, but if there was a way to do it within the rules, she would find it.

Most schools have tutoring programs for students. If biochem concerns you (and I can certainly understand why), seek out the tutors. Sometimes older/returning students feel they should know things or are intimidated by the younger tutors - don’t be.

If you have a spiritual director, talk with them about the issue and how to figure out what God wants of you.

If you do decide to return to school, work out a schedule for family life (including dates with your husband) before classes start. Allow at least one day or evening for study time - you may find it best to study somewhere other than where the laundry and housework are calling you.

In some areas, once you complete your first clinical courses you may be eligible to become certified to work as a nursing assistant or tech in a hospital. Not only is this a great way to improve your knowledge and skills, but it will also help with the money and, depending on your schedule, they may have child care and tuition reimbursement programs. Some colleges and universities also offer childcare.

With current trends in nursing, as long as your knowledge remains current you will be able to find a job. In addition to bedside care, nurses are also managers, educators, investigators, policy makers, case managers, counselors, primary care practitioners, researchers, and the list goes on and on… It’s a wonderful calling I will never regret accepting.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.