Image and Likeness

Thinking on the subject of man being created in the image and likeness of God, I offer an unconventional idea open for thought. Given that it is understandable that this implicates a spiritual sense to its meaning. Could it also stand to reason that the very physical body of man is also created in the likeness of the very physical body of Jesus? Remembering that since the Resurected Incarnate Body transcends time and is eternal, this would seem to make sense. This differs from the very true assertation that the human body is also symbolic in its complimentary nature between man and woman and the gift of procreation, to the Blessed Trinity. Others thoughts…

Hi Mapleoak,

Everything that God creates is in some way in his likeness, because the only models are found within himself.

But, in the matter of the incarnation, I think you got it in reverse. Church doctrine and the Bible insist on the fact that the word BECAME flesh, that he assumed our nature.

Have among yourselves the same sentiments that were in Christ Jesus. Being of divine condition, he did not insist on retaining the rank that made Him God’s equal. But he annihilated Himself, taking up the condition of a slave and becoming like men. Having behaved as a man, he humbled himself still more, being obedient till death, and that a death on the cross.

(Phil. 2,5-8 - my trans)

You can see that the “model” here is us, not Jesus.

Verbum

I’m just reading the Theology of the Body. Pope John Paul the Great goes in to this exact subject for about 100 pages. :thumbsup:

While the book is based on talkes given over about 5 years, I thinnk it’s one of the most, if not the most, important books of the last 100 years.

One point: Gen 1:27 “God created man in his image; in the divine image he created him; male and female he created them.”

The text shows that “man” is male and female (humanity) and the image of God is a “them” joined together.

ncregister.com/site/article/2963/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.