Imam delivers message to Trump at inaugural service

The first verse he read was from Surah Al-Hujarat, in which God says:

“O humankind, We have created you a single male and female (Adam and Eve) and made you into nations and tribes and communities, that you may know one another. Really, the most honored of you in the sight of God is the most righteous of you, and God has all knowledge…”

The second verse he read was from Surah Ar-Rum:

“And among the signs of God is the creation of heaven and earth, and the variation in your languages and your colors. Verily, in that are signs for those who know.”

cnn.com/2017/01/20/politics/trump-imam-magid/index.html

I’m glad they included an imam at the inauguration.

That name Donald, it’s got an Al in it, that sounds kinda Arabic, we need to be watching this guy (Cheek fully shoved right through the back of mouth for this post for those who may have missed that)

Who is the “We” in that verse?

It is an usage of what is sometimes known as the royal we, I have seen Christian speeches and texts where God makes references to themselves in that manner also. Variants of it are also used in Judaism. As to whom it references, it of course refers to the one true God.

What was the message?

Plus he won the state of al-abama. No telling what he’ll do.

You can’t figure it out from the Qur’an verses he quoted?

We do, but not for that reason.

Hey, now! We Catholics have enough of our books to keep up with! :smiley:

And don’t forget that we ALl voted for him. At least he’s finally there!!! God Bless, Memaw

:confused:

I am surprised, though pleasantly surprised, that an imam delivered a message at the inauguration considering the anti-Islamic rhetoric that came out of President Trump’s presidential campaign. That said, I like the two verses from the Quran that the imam quoted. I don’t see anything in their theology that would be contrary to Catholic theology but then again, I am definitely no Islamic theologian.

Very nice ayats chosen from the Qur’an.

I didn’t read the link and I didn’t hear the Imam speak.

The message was fairly non-controversial one that God has created a variety of people and we should respect them all as creations of God and offer them the dignity due that status. Can’t said anything to complain about in that, anyone looking to find anything controversial or to grumble about in the Imam’s statement or speech would be looking for a long time.

Okay, thanks. His message is very important in today’s world.

It is still very different from Genesis where God creates man in his image and likeness, and the different languages are the result of sin, not intended from the beginning. Proclaiming that first truth could get you killed in some Islamic countries.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.