Imitation of mary

I am reading IMITATION OF MARY by ALEXANDER DE ROUVILLE and I am wondering what others think of this book.

I am a new convert and it saddens me to say that MARY was the last obstacle that I had to overcome during my journey into the Church. As a former INDEPENDENT FUNDAMENTAL BAPTIST, I had never been taught anything about Mary other than Her role as the Lord’s Mother. We were also taught that She was “just a regular girl” who was chosen to bring Christ into the world.:frowning:

When I started studying the Churches teachings on our Blessed Mother, I had NO problem accepting Her Immaculate Conception or Her Eternal Virginity. I was even able to readily accept Her role as Co-Redemtrix (NOT that her role was EQUAL to Christ’s but that She willingly works BESIDE and unquestionably WITH Him to show us that He is our way to Salvation).

My difficulty was giving Mary honor or devotion. To me, it felt like I was somehow being asked to take glory that should be given to Christ and to give it to His Mother. It seemed backwards to me.

I kept thinking about the Scripture that says that GOD is a jealous GOD. I was terrified that if I let myself love Mary, somehow GOD would be angry with me!

I prayed A LOT!!! I asked Jesus to help me to know what is right. Then one night I had a dream.

In the dream Mary was standing by my bed. She was so BEAUTIFUL and she was smiling at me. She spoke! I recognized the words immediately!!! “MY SOUL DOTH MAGNIFY THE LORD.” As She said these words, I heard Jesus speaking inside my mind…“MY MOTHER DOESN’T TAKE ANYTHING AWAY FROM ME, SHE DRAWS THEM CLOSER TO ME.” Suddenly, I realized that Her Souls purpose was and is to MAGNIFY Him!!

When I woke up, I was so excited! I knew that my dream was the answer to my prayer! All of my fears were washed away!! Now I can’t get enough of Mary!!! I know She loves me and I know UNQUESTIONABLY that our Lord gave Her to ALL of us that day from the Cross.

All that being said, I come back to my initial question.THE IMITATION OF MARY. Have any of you read it? If so, what are your thoughts? If you haven’t read it, what are your thoughts about the Blessed Mother? Did any of you that are converts struggle as I did?

I love this website!! I live in “small town USA” and there aren’t a whole lot of opportunities for Catholics in my town to meet and talk with other Catholics. I have joined a Bible study in my parish but I’ve found that no one really wants to discuss things. We meet, we read, we leave! I want to talk!!

I welcome any feedback…positive or negative. If you do leave negative feedback, just please realize that I am a new convert. I only came into the Church at Easter Vigil…so be gentle!:o:)

Thank you all in advance and God Bless!:rolleyes:

To Angie, all I can say is WOW - when I read about the dream you had, it brought tears to my eyes. The fact that our Lady spoke the words of holy scripture, “My soul doth magnify the Lord…” was a confirmation to me of what you said was your answer to prayer. I was “born and raised” Catholic, but after joining a born-again non-denominational church (10+ years), and then spending 20+ years as an Episcopalian I also had some reservations about the Catholic doctrines regarding Mary. When I first returned to the Catholic Church I could not say the Hail Mary as “Holy Mary Mother of God” - I would say “Holy Mary Mother of Christ.” I think I had a problem with “mother of God” because it seemed to imply that Mary existed before God, but if Jesus is God, then there is no doctrinal error to call her “mother of God”. I appreciate your sharing about the book “Imitation of Mary” - I look forward to reading it. God bless you on your journey.

I haven’t read the book you mentioned. I am a cradle Catholic, but for a lot of years I didn’t ask her intercession. My reasoning was, 'Why should I pray to anyone else when I could pray to God Himself! Then I grew some in humility and realized the greatness of God and the real probability that I had little understanding of such a great and glorious being. I find it easier to identify with a human being. Jesus became man to show us the way to the Father; but I couldn’t quite get past the fact that He also is God. He is true man as well as true God, but that seemed to give Him an edge that I never expected to have. Mary on the other hand is pure human. Also being a wife and mother I could relate better to her. A priest once told me to ask Mary to be a mother to me, to comfort me. I’ve taken care of others too long to be comfortable asking to be taken care of, but I tried and I found comfort that helped me to go on in difficult times.

One thing I try to be careful of is to say that I ask for her intercession. That’s because so many people are looking for the chance to say that we pray to her as we do to God. I try to make the distinction clear.

Your dream helps us all to understand Mary’s role. Thank you for sharing about your dream and the book you are reading. Holy Mary Mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.

Thank you for your nice remarks and GOD bless you too! If you don’t mind my asking, what lead you away from the Church into other areas of worship? I guess, being a new Catholic and MADLY in love with the Faith, I can’t imagine how anyone could leave it knowing what you know. (Especially the Blessed Sacrament) :o

:rolleyes:Your story is interesting to me! I haven’t been Catholic for very long, and I don’t know a lot of people in my parish yet, but I’ve never talked to a Cradle Catholic who had issues with the Blessed Mother. I thought only converts such as myself had to deal with these types of feelings.
Thank you for sharing that with me! I still have SO much to learn.
Your comment regarding her intercession, I know EXACTLY what you mean! When I shared my Catholic journey with a former Fundamental Baptist church member, her first response was “how can you be catholic, don’t they worship Mary?” Unfortunately, the world is VERY misinformed.
Look for the book I mentioned…you will enjoy it.
God bless you!:slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing this!!!. It continues to strengthen my resolve to understand the works and love of the Blessed Mother!. I wish others that look at Catholics as “pagans” or “polytheists”, because we venerate the Blessed Mother finally understand that We believe in only one God. In addition, we also believe in the intercession of the Blessed Mother in front of God.

YOU’RE QUITE WELCOME!

I love talking about it. It was a very special answer to a prayer. I’m the only Catholic in my family so I’m pretty excited to have others to share my experiences with.:o

I came out of an INDEPENDENT FUNDAMENTAL BAPTIST church and I had a LOT of indoctrination to overcome.:eek: One thing that I remember is the willingness of ALL the men in the church to accept the great and wonderful things associated with so many of the great and wonderful men of the Bible, but yet Mary is regarded as ONLY the Mother of our Lord!!!:confused:

How does that register as logical in their minds?!! She was chosen above ALL others and yet She is NOT held in high regard in the Protestant churches…at least not in any that I’ve been a part of.:eek:

I feel soooooooooooooooo blessed to have been given this gift!! To be part of SUCH A GREAT CLOUD OF WITNESSES!! GOD is SO good isn’t He!!:smiley:

You are not alone in your questioning of Marian doctrine among recent converts.

Like you, I struggled with the question (and I also joined at Easter vigil :)). What I kept finding (over and over again) through prayers and through searching is that throughout the Gospels it is Mary who pleads obedience to Jesus, who is quietly pondering the meaning of Jesus’ life and ministry, who watches as he is born, and then as he dies. Would a mother who knew otherwise be so faithful and dedicated to her son?

In this respect I pity those Protestants who do not really understand or do not wish to accept Mary’s gigantic role in God’s plan of salvation, its implications for herself, and for Joseph. Obedience takes courage and faith. And as we all know, without faith pleasing God is impossible.

Without Mary’s “Yes” – and her “Yes” was a mighty big leap of faith to make – I’m pretty sure the eternal plan would have hit a snag; God doesn’t make mistakes with whom he chooses, and he certainly chose perfectly well when he chose Mary to bear Jesus.

To the church Fathers in the earliest centuries of the church, honoring Mary was a non-divisive (indeed, it was a cohesive) issue, so why should it be for me some 20 centuries on?

All of these things have helped me come to grips with this doctrine. In these past few months since my acceptance into Full Communion, I have come to know Mary better, and hope to continue understanding her role more fully as the New Eve and the New Ark of the Covenant. Praying the Rosary helps draw my mind closer to the Lord and understanding Mary’s supportive role in God’s eternal plan. And your comments here have just reconfirmed my understanding. Mary is, in a word, amazing!

THANK YOU and WELCOME HOME Fellow Convert!!:smiley:

I am so excited to have so many fellow Catholics to talk to!

Do you have other Catholics in your family, or are you all alone out there like I am?

My family has been pretty supportive(although my husband had a really hard time dealing with the priest scandal). Things are much better now, but he doesn’t always understand the joy that I try to share with him.(I think sometimes he thinks I’ve lost my mind) LOL
I can go to Mass and come home so happy I just want to shout!!!:smiley:

I hope you continue to be as happy in your decision to come Home as I have been.

God bless you!:rolleyes:

To Angie…to answer your question about what led me “away” from the Catholic church, having been raised and educated in and by the Church the first 21 years of my life, my husband and I were “seeking” spiritual nourishment and it seemed there was at the time, so we thought, a lack of biblical teaching in the Catholic church. We discovered a “charismatic” born-again church with a pastor who gave in-depth teachings based on holy scripture. We remained in this type of church for over ten years.

That said, I’d like to tell you what drew us BACK to the Catholic faith! One of those bible churches started offering “holy communion” every Sunday (not the Eucharist, of course). This led me to wonder why all those bible-believing churches chose to IGNORE our Lord’s command in John 6:53 - “Unless you eat the Flesh of the Son of man and drink His Blood, you have no life in you; he who eats My Flesh and drinks My Blood has eternal life.” Most of the fundamentalist churches that we attended only offered communion once a month or on a special holy day like Easter. It dawned on me that the BIG missing thing in all those bible churches was the Holy Eucharist. From there our journey was gradual, because we gravitated toward the Episcopal church, which was about as close to Roman Catholic as you can get. We were there for over 20 years, in a parish that adhered to many orthodox doctrines, such as the real presence of our Lord in the Eucharist. It was only after my devout RC mother passed away and she must have been praying for us to return for many years, that my husband decided to return. I was reluctant because the one thing the Episcopalians and Anglicans have is awesome music which I dearly love. That’s a whole other topic that I won’t get into in this forum. But I respected my husband’s decision as the spiritual head of our home and went with him to Mass on the feast of the Ascension. We have not looked back. Praise God for bringing us back into the fullness of His fold.

:smiley: Thank you SO much for sharing your story with me!! How wonderful it is to hear how GOD works in the lives of those He loves. He truly is SO good!!!:slight_smile:

GOD bless you!:rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.