Immaculate conception mishap:

So my local parish has only two masses today. One in English one in Spanish. Normally, English Saturday Vigil is at 7 so I was gonna go. But for today Spanish is at seven and English is at 5. I missed the English mass. Should I go to Spanish mass? I don’t much Spanish. Maybe enough to say 5 or 6% of the mass

You don’t need to know the language. Just say what you can (are there Spanish hymnals?) so you can make the obligation.

Okay, what if I get lost?

If you’ve been to Mass before, you should be able to identify which part of the Mass is going on by seeing who’s where, even if you don’t understand anyone. Is there someone standing at the pulpit? You’re either in the Liturgy of the Word or you’re at the very conclusion of the Mass (when announcements are made, at least in my parish). If the priest is standing at the altar and isn’t just passing by it, you’re probably in the Liturgy of the Eucharist. You can guess where you are based on:

Whether the gifts have been brought up yet
If the priest is holding either the chalice or a host
If you’re standing, sitting or kneeling

If all else fails, just follow the lead of everyone around you.

Oh my I’m so dumb. Facepalm

Don’t be hard on yourself, especially once you get in there. You might want to bring notes just in case since it can be a bit disorienting when the only language you hear is one you don’t know.

Yeah, sorry I was only thinking about the words. I should be able to recognize by the actions. I am only in Spanish 2 at public school so. The only words I know that are religious I learned via Google.

It will give you a new appreciation for how hard it is to participate in a liturgy that is not in your native tongue.

You just need to knoe “que la paz este con usted” when the time comes. :slight_smile:

I go to Spanish Mass frequently. I speak very little Spanish. I understand a few words like Lord, God, Brothers and Sisters, and Mother of God.

A Mass is a Mass. I’ve been to Masses in English, Latin, Spanish, Czech, Dutch, Portuguese, and the hodgepodge of languages they use at Fatima. I only speak English, a good bit of Church Latin, and some French. Go to the Spanish Mass. Jesus will be there just the same and the Consecration will look the same.

Its in ten and my ride is smoking so I might not go. I was starting to get excited. I actually like HDO

Enjoy the Mass in Spanish! Jesus will be there in the Eucharist waiting for you.

Sprechst du Deutsch, Freund?

Off topic, I bet a German Mass would be interesting for a non-speaker.

I went but ended up getting lost and the missal was confusing. So I just sat saying nothing except “paz contigo” and “creo en un solo dios”. And they all we staring, laughing, and discretely pointing at the white guy who can’t say mass in Spanish at 90 wpm.

I think you’re paranoid.

I don’t think i’ve ever seen Spanish Mass around here, but I have heard Polish Mass, Croatian Mass and Slovak Mass, and no one ever said a word even though I know less of those languages than you know of Spanish.

More likely they were proud and happy you came. At least that is my experience when gringos show up for la misa.

Sometimes we are misinterpreted as making fun of non Spanish speakers. It’s hard for many who speak no English but would like to say welcome (bienvenidos).

At least this is my experience of Spanish Masses is various parts of the southern US. So allow me to say welcome, please come again, and it’s nice to meet you.

That’s I think the case for many of the language minorities in America.

If the OP just smiles and gives a traditional Spanish greeting like :“hey ese, wassup holmes” he should have no problem.

Really? I somehow doubt this given that when I attend crowded Spanish Masses as the only “white person” there, I am ignored except for when a couple people smile and wish me “la paz” at the sign of peace.

It is also not necessary to pray along in the given language. I simply say my English prayers very softly under my breath.

I have a friend who regularly attends daily mass in Vietnamese. She doesn’t know a word of Vietnamese, yet she and her children are welcomed with open arms. We are Catholics first, and language speakers second.

Honestly, nobody cares if the person next to them even says the prayers at all, unless they’re shouting them twice as loud as anyone else in the church.

I don’t know about that, after the big hullabaloo when President Trump and the First Lady were caught not reciting the Apostles Creed at President Bush’s funeral.

Although as a general rule, you are probably correct.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.