Immanuel vs. Jesus?

New Testament (Mathew 1:23) and and old testament (Isaiah 7:14) said that Our lady’s son will be named Immanuel [which literally translates to “God be with us”].

I am pretty sure I read Other new testament versus which say that He shall be named “Jesus”.

so, I guess I am confused. Why didn’t Mary name our Lord Immanuel?

“And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins.” So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and** they shall call His name Immanuel**,” which is translated, “God with us.” (Matthew 1:21-23).

The set of alphabetic letters that Mary was to give this baby for a name was J-E-S-U-S.

The other verse says THEY will call him Immanuel. This is more like a title describing who he was something like a nickname. Think of it something like calling Chuck Berry the name “the Father of Rock n Roll.”

Hi Hu___,

Matth. 1,2 2 orders to call him Jesus. So that is His name. Verse 23 says (quoting Isaiah) “He shall be called Emmanuel”, which is not the same. We call Elvis “The King”, but his name is Elvis.

Emmanuel is a prophetic name, which means that it predicts his mission.

Verbum

My thoughts precisely - “Emmanuel” is a description or title, rather like ‘Christ’ which means ‘anointed’ - and saying He will be called ‘Emmanuel’ is along the lines of Isaiah prophesying that “His name shall be called Wonderful Counsellor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace …” (I can just hear that passage from Handel’s *Messiah *going through my head as I type those words :smiley: )

Thx Everyone. I get it now.
: )

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.