Immeasurable merits of Mary

Today the priest at the Mass conceded that it might seem to us “easy” that Mary did the things that She did in the Gospels, as She was Immaculate and free from sin. The priest then proceeded, that it can also be easy for us, due to our access to the Sacraments.

But this is what I think. Being free from sin did not make it easier for Mary to do good deeds and voluntarily follow the Lord’s will, because there was, strictly speaking, less motivation for Mary to do that. We all are often motivated to serve God and do good deeds because of our sinfulness - because we need to get cleansed from our sins.
Our Blessed Mother did not have this motivation. So, although it might have been easy for Her to perform what She was obliged to do (holding the Sabbath, being faithful to the husband, etc.), everything “overdue” that She did (giving birth and raising Jesus, etc.) was much harder for Her, as She did it all by Her pure good will, without any necessity. This is why the temptation of the devil to say “no” to anything She did might have been much stronger that with us. Possibly, even immeasurably stronger.

So, in this way, Her merits are immeasurable, incomparable with the merits of anyone else in the Church, except for Her Son.

I don’t think I can comment on everything you say, but the part that I have highlighted above is confusing to me. The entire subject is rather deep theology. If I, as did she, have a revelation from God through an angel, I think my motivation like hers might be very high.

When “the veil(between heaven and earth) is drawn back” and Mary experienced so many divine messages and signs, and had these fulfilled as she experienced, it gave her the momentum to live as she did and to endure the “sorrows” that she would have to endure. It was not just the revelations and fulfillment,* but she lived with Jesus.*

I know that I cannot comment on whether Mary’s merits are immeasurable or not. That is up to God. I feel that so many things in my own life are immeasurable “graces” that I have not merited except through Jesus Christ – Baptism, Reconciliation and Forgiveness, and the Eucharist – who can measure any of these? It is good to remember and be thankful for these.

[quote=JurisPrudens]So, in this way, Her merits are immeasurable, incomparable with the merits of anyone else in the Church, except for Her Son.
[/quote]

I would go further and say “undoubtedly” rather than “in this way.” That’s because I am not following your train of thought either.

IOW, it is often said that it was “easy” for the BVM, because she was free from the concupiscence of Original Sin. But what people fail to appreciate is that Adam and Eve were ALSO free from that same concupiscence, and yet they sinned. So free will is always alive and active, even when one is free from the concupiscence of Original Sin.

Jesus said the “Spirit is willing and the Flesh is weak.” Our Blessed Mother was a human, just like any of us. Therefore it was necessary for her to conform herself to God’s commandments and laws, regardless of how convenient or easy they might or might not be.

We know that she DID conform herself perfectly to God’s law, and with such a degree of perfection, that she merited yet further graces. She was lifted up, throughout her Blessed life from grace to grace without wavering or faltering. That is WHY her merits are immeasurable, IMHO. IOW, she began life, Immaculate and full of grace, and from there proceeded to rise yet higher and higher in merit and grace throughout the remainder of her life.

Actually:

5 Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said:
“Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
but a body you prepared for me;
6 with burnt offerings and sin offerings
you were not pleased.
7 Then I said, ‘Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll—
I have come to do your will, my God.’” (Hebrews 10:5-7)

Motivation should never be the fear of sin (hell) but Love of God.

The problem Believers have is that we love ourselves as much or more than we love God. So we are motivated/persuaded to “choose” ourselves rather than God:

21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord! (Romans 7:21-25)

Only when we turn to Jesus (I can do everything in Christ) can we offer to God a True Offering!

Maran atha!

Angel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.