Immigrant-Bashers Will Lose the Evangelical Vote

Imagine that an American politician, competing with a dozen other candidates for media attention, launched his presidential campaign by describing the nation’s evangelical Christians as a problem: “They’re charlatans who raise money from poor people to spend on private jets,” he says. “They have multiple affairs and sexually abuse children. And, some, I assume, are good people.”

Millions of evangelical Christians would be fighting mad, and rightly so. While there have been a few, highly publicized cases of professing evangelicals committing these sins and crimes, the overwhelming majority have not. This charge against believers would be what the Bible calls bearing false witness, and what the world calls slander.

wsj.com/articles/immigrant-bashers-will-lose-the-evangelical-vote-1437088338

Evangelicals don’t kill people every month.

Truths, I guess the Wall Street Journal and other media don’t want us to consider.

The authors no doubt, don’t understand what Trump said.

DONALD TRUMP: When do we beat Mexico at the border? They’re laughing at us, at our stupidity. And now they are beating us economically. They are not our friend, believe me. But they’re killing us economically.

The U.S. has become a dumping ground for everybody else’s problems.

Thank you. It’s true, and these are the best and the finest. When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

But I speak to border guards and they tell us what we’re getting. And it only makes common sense. It only makes common sense. They’re sending us not the right people.

It’s coming from more than Mexico. It’s coming from all over South and Latin America, and it’s coming probably— probably— from the Middle East. But we don’t know. Because we have no protection and we have no competence, we don’t know what’s happening. And it’s got to stop and it’s got to stop fast.

realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/06/16/trump_mexico_not_sending_us_their_best_criminals_drug_dealers_and_rapists_are_crossing_border.html

The authors continue the leftist pattern of conflating legal and illegal immigration as the same thing. They are not.

They were up until about 100 years ago when the Catholic bashers from the Know Nothing Party got the first immigration laws to close our border passed to keep those nasty Irish, Italian, and Polish Papists from taking over the country.

But hey, now that we are in, who cares? Lets pull up the drawbridge and not let the tired, the poor, the homeless, the huddled masses yearning to breathe free in any more. We got ours, heck with them.

“When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.
Leviticus 19:33-34

“The LORD your God is the God of all gods and Lord of all lords, the great, mighty, and awesome God who doesn’t play favorites and doesn’t take bribes. He enacts justice for orphans and widows, and he loves immigrants, giving them food and clothing. That means you must also love immigrants because you were immigrants in Egypt” Deuteronomy 10:17-19

“You must not oppress foreigners. You know what it’s like to be a foreigner, for you yourselves were once foreigners in the land of Egypt” Exodus 23:9

"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I guess we are just kidding.

I’m pretty sure they didn’t have “legal” immigrants in biblical times.

Deacon Jeff, I have been trying to find more on this to understand the history of it better. With your background, can you give some information on the history? I know there was something back in 1875 that limited some “undesirable” immigrants. I also thought there were some acts in the late 1700’s too, but I don’t know much about what those are.

Thanks,

John

Prior to 1882 we had NO immigration laws. We had laws on “naturalization” but that is a different issue. In 1882 Congress past the first law restricting immigration, The Chinese Exclusion Act, which covered only Chinese Immigrants (it was xenophobic and disgusting and later repealed). Around that same time congress also passed laws banning immigration of those with infectious diseases and “lunatics”. However the first broad ranging “quota” laws, which first effectively closed our boarders, were by amendment to the Immigration Act of 1917. Those Amendments were passed in 1921, less than 100 years ago. Until that time, our borders were effectively “open”.

In the mid 1800s, the Know Nothing Party gained some power and attempted to close the borders to those filthy German and Irish Catholic immigrants. They failed, but their sympathizers latter morphed into the “American Protective Association” and the KKK. Both groups supported politicians with a degree of success and eventually got Congress to pass the first real immigration laws to prevent more Catholic inflow.

Our present immigration laws are rooted in the Anti-Catholic sentiment of the late 1800s, when Catholics were blamed for the assassination of President Lincoln and later for the Financial collapse of 1893. It was all those Irish, Italian and Eastern Europeans who were upsetting the social fabric don’t ya know?

Now of course, it is essential that we keep out those Latinos with those same laws who are . . .

wait for it

oh yeah,

CATHOLIC!!

And that was many years ago. I doubt if the history of Catholicism is spotless as well.

Thomas Jefferson has in fact, words regarding this, doesn’t he.

Polish, Irish and Italian immigrants were not killing American citizens regularly.

Oh, and illegals, where ever they are from have been polled, and their views are,

wait for it,

oh, yeah,

LEFT OF OCCUPATION WALLSTREET.

Great for the Pro-Life movement, isn’t it?? :shrug:

Don’t forget that until ‘fairly’ recently, only “white” people were allowed full citizenship:
nytimes.com/2013/07/07/sunday-review/has-caucasian-lost-its-meaning.html?_r=0

“The Supreme Court, which can be more colloquial, has used the term in only 64 cases, including a pair from the 1920s that reveal its limitations. In one, the court ruled that a Japanese man could not become a citizen because, although he may have been light-skinned, he was not Caucasian. In the other, an Indian was told that he could not become a citizen because, although he may have been technically Caucasian, he was certainly not white. (A similar debate erupted more recently when the Tsarnaev brothers, believed to be responsible for the Boston Marathon bombing, were revealed to be Muslims from the Caucasus.)”

See Ozawa v. United States (1922):
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozawa_v._United_States
&
United States v. Bhagat Singh Thind (1923): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Bhagat_Singh_Thind

for further info

Leaving politics aside, I think there needs to be some laws with regards to immigration. Do I agree with the quota’s of the past… no. You mention that the Irish were some of those who they wanted to keep out, and I don’t disagree with that, but I do believe they and the Italians had some of the higher quota’s. I can’t find the source of where I saw that, but I will look for it (not that it really matters as I agree with your premise).

I think we should have some sort of common sense approach to immigration though. Yes, we are a nation built on immigrants. More than half of my Mom’s family died in Hungary during the 1950’s because they could not get into the US. I totally get why Latino’s would want to come to the USA… if I was in their shoes, I would do the same thing.

The common sense approach though I think we need to look at is making sure we are not letting into our country law breakers. How do we do that? I don’t know, but I have no issues with people who want to come here and live peacefully. Those who only want to come here and break the laws we need to find a way to keep out. Nobody wants them destroying where we live. Is that un-Christian to say that…?

Peace,

John

I absolutely agree with everything you said. Prior to the 1920s, our immigration laws prohibited people with infectious diseases, convicted felons and “lunatics” from entering. I’m pretty good with that.

BTW, a little fact check on the statement that illegals are murdering people every day:

washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/wp/2015/03/05/lawmaker-claims-illegal-immigrants-released-by-obama-are-committing-a-murder-a-day/

Four Pinocchios

Since the leftist base will believe anything they’re told by the leadership, that leadership will continue to lie and mislead.

Also, for clarification, when you say the Know Nothing Party, you are referencing the old “Native American Party” which later became the “American Party” and I think fell apart back sometime in the 1860’s or 1870’s correct?

As far as the Four Pinocchio’s, The WP is a bit liberal leaning (and is there a paper that is totally fair an unbalanced… ha-ha… if you know of one, pleas let me know), but I do agree that Sen Sessions needs to state his sources for coming up with his statement. Are illegals committing crimes… sure they are; to what level though, I don’t fully know and I don’t know if anyone really knows.

Peace,

John

There are no rights after the right to life, the whole country does not need to be the mirror image of California.

Evangelicals are also our brothers in the pro-life movement and, like the Catholic Church, they feed the hungry every day in their charities.

So were the views of the Italian, Irish and Polish immigrants of the last century. Catholics were all pretty much democrats back then. Gee, you sound a lot like the APA. So do you advocate only allowing politically “conservative” immigrants in? Cause that is what the APA/KKK/Know Nothing Party wanted - SMOM

Sorry, I don’t equate 55,000,000 abortions of the unborn equal to the labor movement and Unions.

Indeed, times have changed.

As black prolifer Rev. Childress says, more blacks are killed in 3 days of abortion than in the entire history of the KKK.

Evangelicals are against abortion.

That is patently absurd. And anti-Catholic, and anti- American.

Who said anything about forbidding immigration? There are lots of people who would love to immigrate here but they are doing it the legal way. Why does someone who walks over the border have more right to immigrate than the ones who are honest in the law and waiting for several decades?

It seems like we are rewarding law breaking.

You aren’t making sense. You equate “liberal” with “pro-abortion” and seem to be saying that because Hispanic immigrants are liberal we should keep them out because they would not be pro-life. In fact the exact opposite is true.

"Hispanics hold a more conservative view of abortion than the general public. More than half (51%) of adult Hispanics say abortion should be illegal in most or all cases, a share greater than that (41%) observed among the general public.

Here again, immigrant generation helps explain these differences. Foreign-born Hispanics are more conservative than native-born Hispanics about abortion. Nearly six-in-ten (58%) immigrant Hispanics say abortion should mainly be illegal.

pewhispanic.org/2012/04/04/v-politics-values-and-religion/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.