Immigration

What is the church’s stand on immigration? Would it be a sin to support minimal immigration from overseas (this includes all foreigners) and want to build a country from your own people?

Immigration is one thing.
ILLEGAL immigration is quite another.
Just as it is sinful to steal a loaf of bread to feed your family, it would be sinful to break the law to go into another country to find work.
The catechism clearly states that we cannot commit wrongdoing even if it is to achieve a positive end.

Immigration is a secular subject and not really the realm of the Church, other than promoting the value of the human dignity. It would very much depend upon what country you’re speaking, and in what context. If there were to be some moral issue the Church might give guidance, which she has, mainly, again, concerning the dignity of life.

We have no obligation to make the USA the world’s play-ground, letting everyone come here. Why not just actively seek out and ship all of the world’s poor, etc., over here? It’d make more sense us going over there and cleaning up their countries, starting with Mexico.

Our illegal Hispanic trespassers are mostly Catholic and hard workers, a great plus. But I do not see any real loyalty to the USA…and that is intolerable. Send them back.

Would it be a sin to support minimal immigration from overseas (this includes all foreigners)

What is “minimal immigration”. I’d say we already have well over minimal immigration.

and want to build a country from your own people?

You mean take over the USA in some fashion? We already have a country: The United States of America. Unfortunately, the “World” seems to think it can change that.

Though the majority of illegal immigrants are probably Hispanic - I don’t have exact data - there are also illegal Irish/European, Chinese and Arab immigrants. So I don’t think it’s fair and accurate to single out Hispanic immigrants.

God Bless,
Michael

As stated by a previous poster, immigration policy is a secular issue. However, immigration policy must be grounded in moral principles. What do you mean by “build a country from your own people”?

I did my Master’s thesis on the ideology of the Know Nothing Party and I see many parallels with the current debate on immigration. Back then, many Americans were concerned that immigrants - which largely consisted of Irish Catholics and Germans - would not assimilate (i.e. adopt the America language, customs, culture, etc.). They accused immigrants of not having
any loyalty to their new home and that they were far too “clannish.” And yet their fears did not materialize. The children of immigrants usually assimilate.

I think the United States should adopt a reasonable immigration policy that ensures the security of our nation. However, this policy should always be informed by charity and security concerns, not bigotry or racism.

God Bless,
Michael

Looks like the church agrees its a secular issue:

From the CCC:

[quote=]2241 The more prosperous nations are obliged, to the extent they are able, to welcome the foreigner in search of the security and the means of livelihood which he cannot find in his country of origin. Public authorities should see to it that the natural right is respected that places a guest under the protection of those who receive him.

Political authorities, for the sake of the common good for which they are responsible, may make the exercise of the right to immigrate subject to various juridical conditions, especially with regard to the immigrants’ duties toward their country of adoption. Immigrants are obliged to respect with gratitude the material and spiritual heritage of the country that receives them, to obey its laws and to assist in carrying civic burdens.
[/quote]

Send them back too … ESPECIALLY the illegal Arab’s (Muslims, they should be rounded-up and deported starting TODAY). I only focused on the Hispanics because of the number’s I hear: 12 million!

I don’t know about the other groups per se, but I see no loyalty to the USA from the Hispanic trespassers, which is unacceptable. (Muslims, I don’t think they have any real loyalty to the USA either.)

The USA is not obligated - either secularly or by God - to accept millions of trespassers who have little or no loyalty to the country. We are not obligated in any way to endanger the country by the Trojan Horse of illegal immigration (or legal immigration, for that matter.)

I wonder what our Church thinks of the idea of the USA/prosperous nations going over and cleaning up some blank - hole nation so that their people can have better lives?

Send the all back. Shut down immigration until the unemployment rate is at a negative. Improve the value of natives first then worry about outsiders.

Our language as Christians should also always be infromed by charity.

God Bless,
Michael

What are you referring to? The idea of cleaning up certain nations? Or my reference to certain nations as “blank - hole”? The latter WAS charitable in language.

I think that “sending them all back” is easier said then done, particularly when the situation is complicated by illegals who have children born and/or raised in the U.S…

God bless,
Michael

Obviously the second half of your statement.

God Bless,
Michael

It’s not complicated at all.

What, is it WRONG to refer to a c-r-a-p-p-y Nation as such?

I agree - it’s dicey - but just because someone is able to cross the border & give birth, that shouldn’t give them an automatic ticket to stay.

Back when they were quiet about it, I was much more willing to look the other way - figuring it must be pretty awful in their own country if they are willing to break the law to come here & earn a living.

But now that they are marching around, waving their own flags & demanding their RIGHTS - I say send 'em home. I am so sick of the “I AM NOT A CRIMINAL” signs. Guess what? You break the law (by coming here illegally) and you ARE a criminal. I am fed up to here with their demands.

Like I said, its easier said than done, especially when we are talking about millions. Whether we like it or not, they are here and many have become an integral part of our economy. While I am not in favor of illegal immigration and do not believe that illegal immigrants have a right to demand amnesty, I do believe that this is a complicated problem that cannot be resolved as easily as “send them all back.”

The one concern I do have as a Christian regarding the immigration debate is motive. If immigration reform is motivated by anythong other than concern for security and the welfare of this nation, then that is problematic.

God Bless,
Michael

I definitely agree that no illegal immigrant should be making demands. Such an attitude will not accomplish anything and will only create a backlash, your case being a good example.

God Bless,
Michael

I just find that kind of language too coarse and inappropriate for a Catholic website.

God Bless,
Michael

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.