Immodesty, a sin - passage interpretation

Galatia 5:19-23
[19] Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are fornication, uncleanness, immodesty, luxury, [20] Idolatry, witchcrafts, enmities, contentions, emulations, wraths, quarrels, dissensions, sects,
[21] Envies,** murders, drunkenness,** revellings, and such like. Of the which I foretell you, as I have foretold to you, that they who do such things shall not obtain the kingdom of God. [22] But the fruit of the Spirit is, charity, joy, peace, patience, benignity, goodness, longanimity, [23] Mildness, faith, modesty, continency, chastity. Against such there is no law.

Does this passage regarding immodesty in dress? or in manner (immodesty = not modest = boastful, vain, interior disposition?)

Meaning all people with immodest dress shall not obtain the kingdom of God? If people would reflect on this passage more then, people would dress modestly, because immodest dress is prevalent.

What do you think? What does immodest in here mean?

I also reflect based on this passage on smoking and drinking in as transgression about murder and drunkenness

I read that cigarettes and alcohol are carcinogens, so if people are heavy smoker and drinker will usually develop lung cancer or liver cancer. So this will be transgression on the fifth commandment (Thou shalt not kill) to self.

I wonder if these carcinogens are taken moderately, meaning taking this carcinogens in small amount. There are no moderate amount to carcinogens. Meaning transgressing these a little (murder, drunkenness). Tobacco and alcohol are known carcinogens.

I guess taking a drink in a small amount also makes us a little drunk… it does has its effect. Not like no effect at all.

I am not talking about wine, because I’ll leave the holy mass mystery to God. I am talking about liquors or spirits.

Last question, what does revelling in this passage means? Is this like heavy partying? What about dancing and music with beats, is it considered revellings? dj-ing and late night pubs and drinking?

How one dresses is a reflection of where their heart (and treasure) is.

It is not the manner of dress that is the problem, but rather the state of one’s heart that encourages such dress.

That’s my 2c

Peace
James

The Bible says a little wine gladdens the heart…also good for the stomach. I would say hard drinks “gladden the heart” but if it is over done it leads to sin. Most people know when it is becoming sinful.
A nightclub where there is lewd dancing or picking up girls for sex…is obviously sinful to attend.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.