immortals

A relative told me that in the OT there is mention of ‘immortals’. I asked if he meant angels or fallen angels. He said no. I asked a priest and he said no but this won’t covince my relatve. He also mentioned the five books of Moses and a translation directly from Hebrew to english which had never been done before. I really don’t know if this is where he found it

So just tell your relative to show you the verse in the Bible. If he can’t or won’t find it, than you’ll know he’s lying.

I wonder if he’s thinking of the Nephilim. I don’t recall them being described as immortals, though.

I suspect the ‘immortals’ your family is talking about is the idea of the 36 tzaddikim/righteous persons in the world. I don’t think there is specific reference to them in the Torah, but instead in the Talmud, the oral tradition of Judaism. It isn’t clear that they are immortal, or that their role is immortal, but the tangible benefit to humankind in this idea is that we don’t know WHO they are, so yet another reason to treat all strangers with respect.

The idea is then taken even further by some, to parallel superheros. Average, everyday citizens, who when pushed too far, realize they have superpowers and save the day!

Hmm… Might your friend have been referring to Elijah and Enoch?

Enoch is unique among the generations of Adam, because for everyone else in the list, the Bible says “And he died” (וימת). But for Enoch it just says “And he was not” (ואיננו) “for God took him.” It never says he died. So Enoch might be considered an immortal.

And for Elijah, we know the story of how the chariot of fire appeared and he was taken up into heaven by a whirlwind. So he’s another guy who could reasonably be considered an immortal.

Of course, your friend could be referring to someone entirely different, but those would be my guesses.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.