Impatience at Mass

Christ is my life. I live for Him alone, through the glorious Catholic Church. BUT…I have a major weakness that I don’t understand: at Mass, I get impatient, and don’t feel the euphoria that someone as religious and spiritual as I am should. When Mass is short and concise, with an uplifting message, I feel great. When it’s long, drawn-out and boring, I get extremely agitated. I’m disappointed with myself, big time. :frowning:

I guess you’re human. :smiley:

You’re not alone. I’m one of those to whom the Almighty is a constance presense…but I never seem to get the “highs” and on the flip side, don’t get the “lows”.

Perhaps trying a different mass time or different parish might help?

King Alfred - sorry but your spirituality has nothing to do with how you feel at Mass, look at Blessed Mother Teresa! It came out after her death that she had a hard time with her faith!

Remember that your faith and your feelings don’t always coincide! It is when our feelings just aren’t there and we continue with our belief that we are sharing our greatest faith in God!

Brenda V.

you are spiritual and religious when God says you are, not when you define yourself that way. He grants feelings of euphoria to those whom he is molding and shaping and nurturing in the advancement on the spiritual path, not to those who request or expect them. He similarly grants feelings of desolation, impatience and lack of consolation for the identical reasons. Fulfill your obligations, participate fully and actively in the Mass, obey the commandments, pray and read scripture daily, have frequent recourse to the sacraments, and discern God’s will for your vocation and life’s work. Serve God, the Church, and God’s poor, and serve those with whom you live and work daily.

Give off looking for euphoria, you will get it when you die and goe to heaven.

There is nothing wrong with looking for a shorter liturgy, as long as you are not trying to sacrifice quality in order to get out quicker. There is nothing wrong with looking for a Mass that suits your own way of praying. There is also nothing sinful, per se, in being tempted toward distraction and impatience, either.

While you don’t choose your feelings, you do choose your attitude. You can choose to attend to every Mass with fidelity, even when it is a penance to do so. You can choose to see even a difficult Mass–too short, too long, too intellectual, too simple-minded, too cold, too touchy-feely, bad music, whatever–as a great blessing, because it always is. As Steven Covey says of life’s trials in general: “If you start to think the problem is ‘out there’, stop yourself. That thought is the problem.” If your parish has problem Masses, dealing with them may well be your job, but that is a job that can wait until after Mass. One thing that can help is to think, “Someone is finding this a very uplifting Mass, maybe someone who really needs a very uplifting Mass today. Or maybe someone is having as much trouble as I am, and needs encouragement to find something positive here. My need for something different can wait for now. I refuse to act in a way that will ruin this Mass for them.”

That doesn’t mean you’ll be granted the feelings to go with the attitude, but don’t worry about that. Do not beat yourself up for failing to feel a certain way. That is a temptation, too! Don’t buy that lie! It is the stuff in your spiritual “out box” that you are responsible for, not the stuff in your “in box”.

Love is not a feeling, it is an action. Don’t give into emotionism, it is a trap of the devil. Impatience is not a weakness, it is a temptation. So long as you don’t give into it, you’re fine. Just focus on Jesus and think of His Passion during Mass and you’ll do well :slight_smile:

Have you read Scott Hahn’s book “The Lamb’s Supper – Mass as Heaven on Earth”?

This book will help you better understand Mass, appreciate it, and actually enjoy it.
Once I read that book, I could not wait to go to Mass. That’s God’s grace, of course.
But Scott Hahn’s book does help a great deal. Hope it will help you too.

I would recommend the OP to read this book too.

Sometimes, it is easy to fidget at Mass, particularly the Saturday night Masses. Some priests are faster than others. Our current priest gets thru Mass in slightly less than an hour without leaving anything out or rushing. Our last priest didn’t rush either, but it sometimes took over an hour.

However, if you want to see impatience and agitated, you could have been at one Mass I was at where a Mission Priest gave a 45 minute homily-and 35 minutes only gave the history of his order. Only about ten minutes was actual “homily” stuff.

Well geez, it’s the same ritual/ceremony over and over and over again for days, and months and years…It’s little wonder you become bored with it especially when the same routine and words are dragged out. I mean get real. You should give yourself credit for just going to mass. No one says you have to enjoy it.

It is possible to enjoy all those rituals which are done over and over again. Those same rituals take you back to the Last Supper and the passion of Jesus Christ. It is a choice.

I wish I could be more specific. However, I do not recall exactly when I chose to be patient with mass or what prompted me to chose patience. The choice did happen.

In fact now that I have chosen patience the 7 days between Sundays seems too long and an emptiness sometimes develops inside me. Thank God for morning mass during the week.

Can a child get excited every December for Christmas? Yes, I think it is because of the presents. Every Sunday you get a great present to which no other present can compare. :thumbsup:

May God bless you.

** I get impatient, and don’t feel the euphoria that someone as religious and spiritual as I am should.**

**Where did you get the idea that “euphoria” was a sign of some kind of spiritual maturity?

Ever hear of the long dark night of the soul suffered by Bl. Mother Theresa?**

Thanks, folks. I’ll keep these things in mind. It really is boredom, plain and simple. I’m somewhat of an impatient person, anyway, especially when it comes to rituals of any kind. I suspect I’ll have to ‘parish hop’ a little, just to break up the tedium. :crying:

It just strikes me as contradictory that I live for Christ but don’t enjoy Mass. I see some parishioners who really seem ‘in’ to it, and I wonder where they get their enthusiasm.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.