Implementing Summorum Pontificum at Shrine of the Immaculate Conception (Washington, DC) [Fr. Z]

I received a good bit of news today. A WDTPRS reader sent me a copy of correspondence with the Rector of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington D.C., Msgr. Walter R. Rossi.

Here is the interesting part:

Lay folks from parishes or Latin Mass communities established by local ordinaries in full communion with the Holy See will be able to schedule public pilgrimages to the Shrine and use the extraordinary form provided that they have a priest with them who is able to celebrate this Liturgy.

So! It looks as if the older form of liturgy will be possible when groups come.

I wonder if they will be welcoming to priests saying private Masses?

I don’t know very much about how the Shrine is set up for these things.

Full entry…

Well the Shrine is certainly set up for “these things” I am sure. The High Altar is still there- nothing has been “wreckovated” as they use a portable cramner table for their Masses in the Upper Church. The communion rail is also in tact.

There are also several chapels and also the crypt church that is suitable for the TLM.

Ken

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.