Important Catholic sites in Israel

Hi, I’m interested in knowing which sites in Israel are important/interesting to visit as Catholics.

Thanks!

We lived in Israel for three years, and have visited most of the important sites. Many Catholics enjoy visiting the sites associated with the mysteries of the Rosary. In Jerusalem you will want to visit the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, and walk the Via Dolorosa. You can attend Holy Mass in English at the Pontifical Institute of Notre Dame. You can vist the Garden of Gethsemane, and visit the Church of all Nations, a Catholic church. Look for the seal of the United States in the ceiling. Most of the sites associated with the life and ministry of the Lord are located in the Galilee region. They include Nazareth and the Church of the Annunciation, Mt. Tabor and the Church of the Transfiguration, the Mount of the Beatitudes, Tabgha and the Church of the Multiplication, and the Church of the Primacy of Peter which is right on the shore of the lake. Capernaum is beautiful with the remains of the old synagogue, and the house of St. Peter. You can renew your wedding vows at the church in Cana. If you are into the history of the crusades, you should visit Akko with it’s many crusader sites. While you up in the north go to Haife, and Mt. Carmel where you can visit the Carmelite Monastery and Elijah’s Cave. I was not able to visit Bethlehem and other West Bank sites because US government employees are not allowed to go there for security reasons. The government is being very cautious. You will be perfectly safe at any major tourist area in Israel. I am sure that I have not mentioned all of the sites that would be of interest to Catholics, but maybe another poster can suggest others.

I was so blessed to be able to go on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land this past January. I went with a Catholic tour group that included two doctors of Catholic Theology, a priest who was our spiritutal director for our trip, and two native tour guides who were also Catholic. Needless to say we had EXCELLENT guidance and I would have never experienced many of the places we went or understood them without the help and guidance we had. I would encourage you to get as much help as you can from people who really know what they are doing - there is SO MUCH to do and see that it can be overwhelming, and you don’t want to waste your time trying to figure out where you are going or what to do next while you are there. If you are trying to do this by yourself (without a guide), plan your route beforehand! My honest opinion is to get in with a Catholic tour - it’s easier to relax and be sure you are seeing all there is to see!

I always love to recommend the Galilee and the Kineret lake and the Jordan river as places to tour.
those are very spiritual places for me, and at a time that my faith was in test - I went there and found many answers :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.