Important question from a friend

My question is, Did Jesus fulfill all prophecies about the coming Messiah? Best friend was curious, and I couldn’t give him a full answer.

He has not yet fulfilled the prophecies related to His return, and to His future acts concerning the Church (e.g. His resurrection of the just and the unjust).

Hi, editorofmylife!

Yes!

Though I do not have a list of them (I am pretty sure someone has it somewhere, possibly even on line) Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God, came to fulfill Yahweh God’s Promise. This is verified by Jesus’ Word (very specifically) in three distinct passages:

14 And Jesus returned in the power of the spirit, into Galilee: and the fame of him went out through the whole country. 15 And he taught in their synagogues and was magnified by all. 16 And he came to Nazareth, where he was brought up: and he went into the synagogue, according to his custom, on the sabbath day: and he rose up to read. 17 And the book of Isaias the prophet was delivered unto him. And as he unfolded the book, he found the place where it was written: 18 The spirit of the Lord is upon me. Wherefore he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor, he hath sent me to heal the contrite of heart, 19 To preach deliverance to the captives and sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, to preach the acceptable year of the Lord and the day of reward. 20 And when he had folded the book, he restored it to the minister and sat down. And the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. 21 And he began to say to them: This day is fulfilled this scripture in your ears. (St. Luke 4:14-21)

2 Now when John had heard in prison the works of Christ: sending two of his disciples he said to him: 3 Art thou he that art to come, or look we for another? 4 And Jesus making answer said to them: Go and relate to John what you have heard and seen. 5 The blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead rise again, the poor have the gospel preached to them. 6 And blessed is he that shall not be scandalized in me. (St. Matthew 11:2-6)

28 Afterwards, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, said: I thirst. 29 Now there was a vessel set there, full of vinegar. And they, putting a sponge full of vinegar about hyssop, put it to his mouth. 30 Jesus therefore, when he had taken the vinegar, said: It is consummated. And bowing his head, he gave up the ghost. (St. John 19:28-30)

Maran atha!

Angel

Hi, Ron Conte!

…you are speaking of the Parusia which is not a prophecy concerning the awaited Messaiah. These promises were made by Jesus Himself not by any of the Old Testament prophets.

Maran atha!

Angel

What about the Jewish objection that Christians misinterpret the prophets (particularly Isaiah)?

Of course God (through Moses) specifically told us that he speaks to prophets in riddles and symbols so who knows.

…do you recall what Jesus said to the Jews?.. “…if your Father were Abraham you would listen to Me…”

If they did not heed Christ, why would I expect them to listen to me?

Maran atha!

Angel

Significantly, Isaiah 53 has been interpreted as being Messianic by many renowned rabbis and talmudic scholars through the ages including many before, and after, the coming of Christ. While this was not a uniformly held view before Christ, it was not uncommon. Since the birth of Christianity, there has been a movement within rabbinic judaism disavowing the messianic nature of Isaiah 53 - although the traditional “majority” reading of the “Servant” as Israel really doesn’t make much sense as Isaiah 53 describes a sinless “Servant” and we know from the Hebrew Scriptures that Israel was anything but sinless (in fact, rebellious and sinful - “not one is righteous, not even one”).

Further, of course, in Isaiah it also tells us that God would cause the Jewish people (Israel) to have “eyes but not see” and “ears but not hear” - so its not surprising that they would reject the Messiah (which ironically, is exactly what Isiah 53 says). But not forever (praise God). Romans tells us that “after the full alotment of Gentiles” comes in, then “all Israel will be saved”. This same prophecy is contained in Zechariah where we read how in the end times, the Jewish people will mourn for the one whom they have pierced and call on the name of the Lord. See the parallel between Zechariah and Romans 11 and the prophecy in Isaiah 53?

Blessings,

Brian

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.