Important question (to me) about prayer

I find that my spiritual life is at it’s best when I am actively praying for people. But, i struggle with a certain mortal sin and so i go in and out of a state of grace very often. I’ve heard more than once that when you aren’t in a state of grace, your payers hold no merit with God. To mean, that means that all God is willing to hear from you is “i’m sorry.” Therefore, praying for anybody or anything is pointless. I need to know if this is true. If it is, i suppose that’s okay, although that is rather depressing. That being true would just propagate my sin and make it even more of a struggle. Will someone please verify this for me?

Thank you.

Prayer for others is an act of charity/love.
Charity/love comes from God.
You repent immediatly do you not! God knows and accepts.
Yes you still need to go to Confession if you had committed a grave sin,
but caring and concerned prayer for others is always God’s grace, God’s love, God’s life in you.

If God only hears the prayers of those in a state of grace, how could he hear your act of contrition? :shrug:

Seriously though, you have two options here.
You can assume that God is not merciful enough to hear your sincere prayers on behalf of others, or
you can assume that Gos IS merciful enough to hear your sincere prayers on behalf of others.

If God is merciful enough to welcome us back after each time we fall, then He must be pretty merciful.

My suggestion is that, whenever you pray, you begin by asking for the strength to resist temptation. Also ask God to guide you to whatever help you might need. (good confessor, spiritual director, books etc.) Then proceed to pray for whatever other intentions you have.

Peace
James

Prayer is grace

Our God, we receive Your grace to pray as unmerited gift. We know or interpret You through human concepts; however, by humbly yielding our selves and our logic to faith, we allow You freedom of utterance in us. Even so, we may only experience Your presence and word in silence as we invite You to speak and move within us as we actively and prayerfully live the gospel.

If in our disappointment at Your silence, we experience wavering faith, with courage we pray, “Speak Yourself and live Your life in me, my God. Make thanksgiving, and glorify Yourself continually in me, in all my supposed strengths, as in my sinfulness and inability. Find Yourself to me. Find me to Your truth. Unknowing, uncomprehending though I am, please let me be drawn into the infinite possibilities of Your life and love. Not my will, but Your will be done!”

“Walk with simplicity in the way of the Lord and do not torment your spirit. Learn to hate your faults but to hate them calmly.” (Saint Padre Pio) “Heaven is filled with converted sinners of all kinds, and there is room for more” (St. Joseph Cafaso)

A spark of pure love is more precious before God, more useful for the soul, and richer in benedictions for the Church than all other works taken together.” (St John of the Cross)

“Have you not sometimes loved the Lord? Do you not love God now? Do you not long to love God forever? Therefore, do not fear! Even conceded that you had committed all the sins of this world, Jesus repeats to you: Many sins are forgiven you because you have loved much!” (Saint P. Pio)

Contrition
Father, I have sinned against others, against myself, and against You. I am unworthy to be Your child. I have offended Your goodness and Your dream of who I really am. I may have denied You the joy of blessings that You wish for me and for others through me.

You alone know the entire consequences of my failure. Yet Jesus assures us that You joyfully celebrate my return from sin, and run to welcome and reclaim me as Your own. I want to value myself as Your child, knowing that all worth and holiness comes from You.

In trust, I will not accuse myself for sins already forgiven and absolved or for temptation if I have not actually sinned. I believe that temptation can be overcome by Your grace, inspiring greater faithfulness to the Gospel and the Sacraments.

Look on those tasks of love and service that I fail to undertake or to complete, and bring them to completion. Please bring out of my failures, such fruits of these new opportunities enhanced beyond all previous expectation, for from our human betrayal of Your divine plan of Creation, Your mercy wrought the magnificent plan of redemption that reverberates through time and eternity!

In Your mercy, please transform into good all that in weakness or ignorance I may spoil. I want to give blessing that is abundant beyond original possibility, to anyone I ever harm or deprive.

May I so belong to You, may I be so transformed by Your love, that nothing that impedes Your will in my life. This, my soul in trusting confidence implores.

Prayer as an act of charity

Jesus, those who devote much effort to prayer may be labelled ‘lazy’ and ‘impractical’. That is how Your friend Martha regarded her sister Mary. Yet, both sisters loved You dearly.

Martha was a virtuous, practical woman who understood that charity requires us to serve others. Her valued guest required food and hospitality. This could not be achieved if everyone sat idle. Martha prepared your meal, but Mary remained idly with you. To Martha she appeared to be failing You.

You kindly defended Mary because of the love she offered to You, love that You often were denied by others. While Mary was offering love and attention to a fellow human, she was also giving her love to God, for You are fully human, but also fully divine. Within one act, Mary of Bethany fulfilled Your two commandments of love.

Those who ask for prayer are seeking genuine charity of remembrance, time and effort. Their need is sometimes desperate, and while in crisis, they may be unable to sustain faith or to pray. They find reassurance in our promise to pray for their intentions! They receive our promise as an act of love.

The understanding that prayer is genuine charity, does not absolve anyone of responsibility to give practical aid to others. As Saint James wrote, love does not say, “eat well and keep warm” and then walk away. Even in our poverty, we may give something. Please help us to be generous, in the act of love that is prayer for others, and in our practical charity.

Dear Jesus, friend of both Mary and Martha, and beneficiary of the acts of kindness and love of each, please grant us to emulate both Your dear friends in our lives. August 2001

• “Praise God, for He has delivered the soul of the needy from the hands of evil*.” [Jeremiah.20:13] “Be my saviour again, renew my joy, keep my spirit steady and willing; and I shall teach transgressors Your ways, and to You sinners will return.” [Psalm 51:12-13]

I believe God hears all prayers. And praying for someone else’s intentions is an act of charity, and I believe all acts of charity have merit. This is not based on any scripture that I know of though, it is just my own personal take on things. :slight_smile:

Prayer is grace

Our God, we receive Your grace to pray as unmerited gift.
We know or interpret You through human concepts; however, by humbly yielding our selves and our logic to faith, we allow You freedom of utterance in us. Even so, we may only experience Your presence and word in silence as we invite You to speak and move within us as we actively and prayerfully live the gospel.

If in our disappointment at Your seeming silence, we experience wavering faith, with courage we pray, “Speak Yourself and live Your life in me, my God. Make thanksgiving, and glorify Yourself continually in me, in all my supposed strengths, as in my sinfulness and inability. Find Yourself to me. Find me to Your truth. Unknowing, uncomprehending though I am, please let me be drawn into the infinite possibilities of Your life and love. Not my will, but Your will be done!”

Thank You for prayer

Eternal God, without the gift of prayer, and the trust that makes it possible, how could we approach a Being as great as You! The wonders and immensity of the universe that You created, hint of Your unimaginable supremacy.

Yet, without haughty magnanimity, You chose to redeem human creatures from sin and mortality, and to make an eternal covenant of love with us. You communicate Your intentions and guidelines to us through God incarnate within Scripture, Church and the Spirit in our lives.

I cannot offer You the honour and love that You deserve, and the overwhelming difficulties and anxieties of this world sometimes deflect me from trying in my discouragement and sadness.

Therefore, our God who mercifully bridged between Your human creatures and Yourself in Jesus, please me to train myself in optimistic faith. I wish to cooperate with Your love to create in me all that You wish to find in my understanding and actions.

As I seek to fulfil Your desires, I thank You for this extraordinary gift of love, prayer, and life that You, our astounding and wonderful God, offer us. 2001

Praying for others is a gift of the Holy Spirit. I would suggest that you co-operate with Him and offer up all the prayers that you can on behalf of others and let God decide whether or not He will answer them.

Remember the parable that Jesus gave about the tax-collector (the sinner) and the pharisee offering their prayers. Jesus asked which one did God listen too? (Luke 18:10)

For you …

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

If you ever commit a mortal sin, just immediately make an act of perfect contrition and be resolved to get to confession ASAP. By doing so God will hear your prayers and will be pleased by them, even before you get to the confessional.

Praying for you to hvae the streangh to go to confession and unburdon yourself of the sin through the love of Jesus…

O Lord, Holy Father, omnipotent and eternal God, I give You thanks and I bless Your holy name. I know I’m a poor miserable sinner but hear a cause that is just, pay heed to my cry, turn your ear to my prayer, no deceit is on my lips. Amen

For your intentions

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Lord Jesus, hear our prayers. Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.