Important Questions

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Reading an article this morning, I was struck by the "important questions" asked. I wondered how many of us ask ourselves (or ask others) such questions. What are we "Teaching through Living" if our minds are so often on trivia? The article reports on a conference to be held in Sweden where over 60% consider themselves atheists. What a great place to have a conference on "The Court of the Gentiles!" Here is an excerpt; I underlined questions which seem very "Important" to me:

Courtyard of the Gentiles Goes to Sweden
Cardinal Ravasi to Debate Fundamental Questions
By Natalia Martone

ROME, SEPT. 12, 2012 (Zenit.org).- ...This Thursday and Friday, the Courtyard of the Gentiles -- a space of encounter and dialogue between believers and non-believers, established by the Pontifical Council for Culture, headed by Cardinal Gianfranco Ravasi -- will meet in a new session of dialogue in Stockholm, Sweden. The main topic will be the thorny question that is at the center, perhaps, of the debates between believing humanists and atheists: “the world with or without God.”
...The choice of the venue is a clear sign of its importance. Sweden is itself a country in which secularization is very strong and is a society based on the concept that the individual prevails over the community. More than 60% of the population state that they are atheists, and religion is regarded as belonging to the private sphere.
In Sweden secularization has gone hand in hand with scientific and technological progress. In many countries, this scientific evolution is accompanied by an increasingly widespread phenomenon, which Jacques Ellul has called “moral sliding,” namely, the typical tendency of the technological society to accept technological innovations without a consideration of their ultimate worth or danger.
It is an historical process that, ultimately, has profound roots which lead to thinking of religion as a subjective experience and not as a collective sentiment to be shared.
...With regard to the general topic ”The World With or Without God,” a number of questions will be debated: “What does it mean to believe or not believe? Is there an immaterial world? What is man? It is said that religion imposes its values on non-believers. But doesn’t the secular society try to impose its own? Does religion improve the world or make it worse?
In subsequent days the interventions in the event will be available on the social channels of the Courtyard of the Gentiles through Google and YouTube, as well as in the Courtyard TV section of the home page. The following meeting of the Courtyard of the Gentiles will be held at Assisi on October 5-6...
As mentioned in another thread, my husband and I have begun a new blog entitled "Court of the Gentles: Seeking the Absolute". Since few of us will probably get to Sweden or Assisi, maybe you'd like to visit our blog - believers and non-believers are welcome! Visit us [HERE]("http://courtofgentiles.wordpress.com/")
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.