Important verses only mentioned once

Can you please help me find the most important Christian doctrine that is only supported by one scripture verse?

The context of this question is that I was evangelizing to a Protestant friend and mentioned the primacy Peter in Matthew 16:18. His response was that if this was so important then why was it only mentioned once. I showed him the abundance of scriptural support for the primacy of Peter, but what I couldn’t show him on the spot were important doctrines that are only supported by one scripture verse.

Funny, this is the first time I have heard of Sola Scriptura only if its repeated more than once.

On the other hand, what about all the Protestant doctrines which are supported by only one verse?

Many Protestants believe in a “pre-tribulation rapture” and use a stretched interpretation of one verse to prove that it’s going to happen that way. It’s really a reach to use the verse “meet the Lord in the air” as proof of their (quite complex) doctrine of a pre-trib rapture which will include pilots disappearing from aircraft mid-flight and drivers disappearing from cars on the freeway, but they do.

You could use Mt 28:19 but he will probably comeback with many other implicit verses saying the same thing to prove you wrong.:rolleyes:

Peace!!!

I’ve heard this before too and I am moved to a few different reactions.
[LIST]
*]Which verse teaches that important doctrines are only mentioned once? If there isn’t even one, then his criteria destroys itself.
*]Matthew 4:4 But he answered, “It is written, `Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’” (in other words, your friend is contradicting this verse by insisting every word doesn’t count, but must be repeated x number of times) cf. Deut. 8:3
*]But one example of teaching unique to a book of the Bible is the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5-7.
[/LIST]

Interesting, I came up against the exact same argument in regards to the exact same issue - the primacy of Peter. Just thought I’d rez this thread to see if there are any other thoughts on it. Other examples of important doctrines that are mentioned only once? Or perhaps accepted by Protestants but are only mentioned implicitly?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.