Impure/blasphemous thoughts

Hi,

I suffer from scruples with impure and blasphemous thoughts and have been told to go to Communion unless I am absolutely sure I have committed a mortal sin.

I am trying to battle these thoughts. However, I started thinking about the content of a thought I had about God which involved both bad language and an impure concept and while thinking about the fact that I had this thought I ended up repeating the actual words of the thought purposefully in my mind several times.

I’m not sure if this is a mortal sin, or whether to go to Communion.

Any advice

1 Like

If you’re not sure, then you haven’t committed a mortal sin.
You know the requirements for a mortal sin: it’s grave matter, it’s done with full knowledge, and it’s done with deliberate consent.
There are medications to help with OCD. Talk to your doctor.

When these thoughts come to your mind, start saying a verse of scripture. 2 Timothy 1:12 has helped me: "I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.” “Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.”

Thanks

I suppose the main issue is that I had an intrusive thought.
I then purposefully thought about and disagreed with the thought. However, I said the words of the thought purposefully in my mind. The thought contained bad language and impurity against God.

There was absolutely no truth in the thought but I said the words in my head purposefully several times while/thinking about and at one stage disagreeing with the thought.

In effect, I purposefully used some swear words while repeating in my mind a blasphemous/iimpure thought I had about God - however, there was absolutely no truth in the thought.

This is a common tactic demons use. They can manipulate thoughts, images, and feelings.

In order to commit a mortal sin, you need to premeditate to do something you know the Holy Spirit taught is gravely evil. You might have been repeating the words of the thought, or whatever other attack the enemy tries, in your mind - but what was your intent? Was your intent to blaspheme God? Or were you repeating them in an attempt to fight them? I have often been the victim of these attacks, sometimes all throughout the day, and it is hard I know. Trust Jesus. God is Love and His Will is Love and Mercy itself.

Of all the tactics demons use, the one I hate the most is when they try to make us think we committed a sin, especially a grave/mortal sin, when we did not! It is worse than temptation to me. It is very difficult, especially when they keep doing it ALL DAY LONG! Ultimately, God will use it for our good and to give us greater glory in Heaven.

Keep fighting. Heaven is at the end. Our King is coming, and His Reward is with Him. Don’t despair. He is all powerful and He wills that you have victory. Persevere.

I salute you
I salute your Guardian Angel

God loves you. Remember the words of our Blessed Mother, the Virgin Mary:

For the Mighty One has done great things for me; And holy is His name. 50"AND HIS MERCY IS UPON GENERATION AFTER GENERATION TOWARD THOSE WHO FEAR HIM. 51"He has done mighty deeds with His arm; He has scattered those who were proud in the thoughts of their heart

1 Like

Thanks a million for your reply.

I had no real intention either way while thinking the words… they were just words - repeating a thought.

I was not trying to blaspheme God - at one stage I thought the words in order to disagree with the thought - but I did think the actual words several times prior to that.

When I think these thoughts there is never any impure intention or hatred behind them. They are just word - but the words are very impure. However, I feel that I definitely knew that I was thinking the actual words at the time.

Hope this makes sense.

Follow your priest’s advice to go to communion unless you are sure that you committed a mortal sin.

Thoughts are thoughts. They come and go. Don’t hold on to them or give them any weight. If you were trying something like mind training and emptying your thoughts this type of thing happens quite a bit. It can be your mind fighting something it’s not used to. Something from outside hindering, which would be all the more to not give it weight. And you might well consider the OCD possibility too.

Often these intrusive thoughts are a form of OCD. You did not will them nor bring them on. Therefore, most likely no sin at all was committed. This can happen when you are trying to come closer to God. Once a very well known Saint told Jesus about some unwanted sexual thoughts she was having. She had given herself years ago to God and belonged totally to Him. He asked her, well did you take any pleasure in these thoughts? Oh no, not at all, she recoiled. Then you did not sin against Me.
Follow your priest’s advice. Don’t allow Satan to use this as an opportunity to discourage you.

Sometimes when you battle these thoughts, they become stronger. Just ignore them and think of something else. Call on the names of Jesus and Mary as a prayer for help.

God bless you.

All sorts of thoughts can happen to us out of the blue…

Be they impure or even blasphemous in nature.

The fact that a thought happened to one- does not mean per se there was any sin.

And for mortal sin one needs not only grave matter, full knowledge and deliberate (complete) consent…

Just cause a thought happened to you does not mean there was any sin. Let alone mortal sin.

Now…

For the next few moments --try real hard NOT to think of an Apple.

then scroll down.

What did you think of?

An apple.

Even though your will was against it -you did not want to think of an apple.

And the more you fear and try hard not to have them…the more they will likely come and bother you.

Now back to unwanted thoughts…

The best thing to do with such thoughts is not to fight them directly --not fear that they will come—simply do not consent and simply and calmly turn to something else…(or it may be best to keep doing the good thing one is doing…like they come out of the blue when your at work …keep working…keep praying …etc)

Ignore such unwanted thoughts and do not fear them…just turn to something good.

A person struggles with scruples - what ought they do?

A person with scrupulosity --ought to have a* “regular confessor” who can direct them --and even give them some general principles* to follow -to apply (principles for them due to their particular scruples -they are usually not for those with a normal conscience).

Thus with their direction they can “dismiss scruples” (in the older language despise them) - “act against them” (agere contra).

Scruples are to be dismissed ~ not argued with.

To borrow and image from a Carthusian from centuries ago: Scruples *are like a barking dog or a hissing goose -one does not stop to argue with a barking dog or a hissing goose does one? * No one keeps walking.

Such ‘obedience’ to a regular confessor who knows of ones scruples (except in what is manifest sin - such as if he told them it was ok to murder someone or something certain like that) is key. Such is the age old practice.

Also counseling -(especially if one also has OCD) could be helpful depending on the case -but one would want to look for a counselor who can assist one in following the Churches Teachings - not go contrary to them (I have heard CA staff mention catholictherapists.com/)

Here was a not too long ago post from Jimmy Akin of CA that I saw in the Register and saved for those who struggle with such.

ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/6-tools-for-the-scrupulous

Remember all sorts of thoughts can happen to one and one NOT sin at all.

There are a number of posts on this forum on the topic. A search might be helpful for you. I’d like to post a lengthier description of the issue soon, as it is of particular interest to me for several reasons, including that it is a struggle for me as well.

A general principle though, from the scholastics, is that the rise of a passion against one’s active will is never sinful (provided it doesn’t incite to some external act that is sinful or cause the will to succumb to it). Skipping way ahead in the argument (past the description of the principles in the soul and body that are involved here, which are deeply complex), using that same principle more or less applies in this case. You do not have these thoughts because you want to have them, you have them because you don’t want to have them, particularly the blasphemous ones. Impure thoughts can involve venial sin, once the passions begin to rise… There is no mortal sin here without the express desire to commit some external act, (which would include the deliberate use of the rising passion to influence the feelings of one’s own body in certain ways,) even if you are unable to at the time, i.e. “I would actually really truly do x, but I’m in public, and that’s the only reason I would not.” (This is “non-morose delectation” vs. “morose delectation.” Try dropping that one on your next confessor, see if he reads his manuals! :wink: ) The best tactic is to move your mind to something else, in both cases.

Another consideration is that blasphemy, in its strict sense, is an outward act. Inward acts of blasphemy would take their measure from their equality with an outward act, viz. actually saying these words occurring to the imagination vs. actually meaningfully saying them in my mind in an unqualified way, just as they would be if I actually spoke them (a little like the morose/non-morose distinction, but not entirely the same). We are here speaking of “imprecatory blasphemy,” which is language expressly used to spite God or injure His name or glory, etc. We can take a simple litmus test here: “Why do I not say out loud what occurs to my mind, even if it occurs forcefully? Is it because others will look at me funny, because I just had my tonsils taken out, or because I intuit by foreknowledge of what is about to come to my mind THAT I WILL NOT TO SAY THESE THINGS AND THEREFORE CAN’T POSSIBLY MEAN THEM, so it makes no sense to voice them since the outward voice is a sign of what is truly held within?”

One last brief consideration. Perhaps our will sometimes really does cave a little to these blasphemous thoughts, because “oh my good golly gosh they are sooooo annoying and maybe if I cave they’ll go away a little? Idk…” Supposing that the language used actually is attached to its object in a meaningful way, (which, even in these cases, it usually would not be, as these sorts of thoughts are typically devoid of any true communicative value and are “for their own sake,” as it were,) it would still not necessarily be mortal sin, though it would be at least venial. It takes true advertence to the meaning and moral import of what one is saying to make the act perfect. In other words, you have to realize how serious what you are saying is. This usually means deliberation, although it is possible that it doesn’t. That would normally require the formation of a “blasphemous habit,” like one might find on an atheist forum of some kind (your typical habit of dropping “JC” would fail to meet the mark here, in my opinion).

The sin of blasphemy is worse than murder. To put it in perspective. Take a deep, diaphragmatic breath or 40, and calm down.

More to come.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.