Impure/ Intruisive thoughts

Hello,

I struggle from intrusive and impure thoughts. I believe it is getting better but they still pop up and torture me. But this situation has me worried I committed a mortal sin. I was waking up and I had an impure thought, I do not know what it was about I completely forgot. I ended up getting aroused, and when I realized this I stopped the thought. I know some people say when you wake up you are not in complete control of your thoughts, which could explain why I did not recognize or stop the thought right away until I realized I was aroused. Anyways is this a mortal sin? Thank you.

You can’t stop a bird from landing on your head, but you can stop it from building a nest.
In other words, when you get an impure thought take it captive and do not let it go any further.

I spend a lot of time during the day combatting garbage of all kinds that runs through my mind. When I get hit by a flaming arrow, I send it right back with a “Blessed be God Forever”

Especially since you were in a sleep state, I really doubt it is a mortal sin, however when you go to confession it could not hurt to confess it anyway.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.