Impure thoughts and possible scrupulosity

Hello,

If my post is not in the right section, please delete/move.

So, I think I may be struggling with scrupulosity, though I'm not sure if it fits the definition.  Either way, last night I had a dream that I went on a date with my high school sweetheart, and we had a nice, tight hug like I remember back then.  Before Mass this morning -- I attend daily -- I willingly entertained the thought of this nice huge for a minute, and quickly realized what I was doing was wrong, as I'm a happily married man.  I said the confiteor, and received communion, because I've been to confession every couple days.

I've only been Catholic since the Easter Vigil, and I'm struggling with this sort of legalism.

My question is, was it wrong to receive communion due to my thinking before Mass?

Thank you for your answers and patience,

RB

Absolutely not. The only thing that prevents you from receiving Communion is if your soul is in the state of Mortal Sin. You cannot commit a Mortal Sin by accident. You have to willfully commit to an action which is grave and understand it is grave and follow through regardless.

We are all tempted 24/7. Your description of how you handled that temptation was the appropriate action. Saying an Act of Contrition or Confetior was a good choice.

Turn to Our Lady in times of temptation. She will overwhelm you with her purity.

I will re-post another older post of mine:

Note too that a person can go through “transient scruples” such as during a period right after their conversion or their conversion into a desire to follow Christ faithfully or during their beginning the Christian path. Such too needs a regular confessor to assist (for a time until they pass - though a regular confessor can always be a good idea).

A person struggles with scruples - what ought they do?

A person with scrupulosity --ought to have a “regular confessor” who can direct them --and even give them some general principles/rules to follow -to apply (principles for them due to their particular scruples -they are usually not for those with a normal conscience). Thus with their direction they can dismiss scruples. Such is the age old practice in the Church. Obedience to ones regular confessor.

Scruples are to be dismissed not argued with.

Scruples are like a barking dog or a hissing goose -one does not stop to argue with a barking dog or a hissing goose does one? One keeps walking.

(image from a Carthusian writer from centuries ago).

As to counseling - that could be helpful depending on the case -but one would want to look for a counselor who can assist one in following the Churches Teachings - not go contrary to them (I have heard CA staff mention catholictherapists.com/) Some person with scrupulosity may yes also suffer from OCD - but the two are not simply equated.

Here is an article from Jimmy Akin of CA that I saw in the Register and saved for those who struggle with such.

ncregister.com/blog/jimmy…the-scrupulous

I think it would be best to talk to a priest.

Best,
Ed

As to the question - bring the matter to your Priest as was suggested by another. It is difficult to know at times from a forum what actually took place…

I will though add a note in general - on this part regarding your concern about scrupulosity:

I will re-post another older post of mine:

Note too that a person can go through “transient scruples” such as during a period right after their conversion or their conversion into a desire to follow Christ faithfully or during their beginning the Christian path. Such too needs a regular confessor to assist (for a time until they pass - though a regular confessor can always be a good idea).

A person struggles with scruples - what ought they do?

A person with scrupulosity --ought to have a “regular confessor” who can direct them --and even give them some general principles/rules to follow -to apply (principles for them due to their particular scruples -they are usually not for those with a normal conscience). Thus with their direction they can dismiss scruples. Such is the age old practice in the Church. Obedience to ones regular confessor.

Scruples are to be dismissed not argued with.

Scruples are like a barking dog or a hissing goose -one does not stop to argue with a barking dog or a hissing goose does one? One keeps walking.

(image from a Carthusian writer from centuries ago).

As to counseling - that could be helpful depending on the case -but one would want to look for a counselor who can assist one in following the Churches Teachings - not go contrary to them (I have heard CA staff mention catholictherapists.com/) Some person with scrupulosity may yes also suffer from OCD - but the two are not simply equated.

Here is an article from Jimmy Akin of CA that I saw in the Register and saved for those who struggle with such.

ncregister.com/blog/jimmy…the-scrupulous

Minds wander, especially early in the day and after a momentous event. You aren’t acting on it, you know its not good, it will pass. 36 years ago when I got married, I kept having a recurring dream I was getting married, and suddenly realized I was already married! Very wierd, but harmless.

Thank you all very kindly for your replies.

The reason I did not bring it up to the priest was for fear of annoying him.  I do not want to overburden these men who already deal with enough.

So I can understand an errant thought here and there.  I guess my problem is that I *willfully* entertained such for a minute.

Edit: also, I should not just expect to receive communion daily, as I do. If I cannot make it to confession, then I cannot make it to communion either.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.