Imputed vs Infused

Just curious about pros and cons of each argument.

In Christ

Imputed and infused are adjectives. Are you speaking of imputed righteousness (that is, goodness or moral perfection) as compared to infused righteousness? or are you speaking of something else?

What are the arguments for Imputed righteousness and arguments infused righteousness. Sorry for any confusion

Thanks

Imputed rightiousness is biblical were as infused rightiousness is not

allischalmers,
With respect, I am interested in what both parts to this argument say otherwise I wouldn’t be asking. Respectfully, please do not use such general statements as proof. I can say the ocean is green because I said so, however, that doesn’t make it so… Using simple statements like … Because its biblical, but offering no examples is not proof at all

However, I am interested verses, interpretations of verses and such… not just blanket statements such as this.

In Christ

In what follows will be frequent reference to the Protestant theory of justification. This is inevitable, for, although our chief concern is with the positive statement of Catholic truth, the official statement of this truth by the Council of Trent was drawn up with direct reference to the errors of the 16th century.

In the first place, then, the Council lays it down that we become just before God not through a non-imputation of sin but by an interior renovation which blots out sin. This is effected by sanctifying grace, which is explained as a reality poured forth upon us and inhering in us. Beyond a doubt, this is the teaching of Scripture and of the great leaders of Christian thought from the beginning.

There readily come to mind a number of expressions used in the Scriptures which show most clearly that the state of grace involves a real interior change in the soul. Expressions such as “born again,” “regeneration,” “renovation,” and “new creature” come to mind.

Ezekiel 36:25-27
25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.

In this Old Testament passage, the prophet clearly speaks of the sacrament of baptism that was to come. Notice the elements: water is sprinkled, the person is actually made clean (not merely imputed to be or called clean), and they receive a new spirit along with the gift of the Holy Spirit. Ezekiel makes a connection between washing in Water and the receipt of the Spirit of God.

However, sometimes when the Old Testament is referenced, people will say, “Well, we follow the New Testament.” in an attempt to dismiss an Old Testament passage. They need to remember the following words from the New Testament:

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Consequently, we can see that all of the Bible must be taken into account when we seek to understand doctrine.

Hope this helps. :tiphat:

Ezekiel 36:25-27
25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.

In this Old Testament passage, the prophet clearly speaks of the sacrament of baptism that was to come. Notice the elements: water is sprinkled, the person is actually made clean (not merely imputed to be or called clean), and they receive a new spirit along with the gift of the Holy Spirit. Ezekiel makes a connection between washing in Water and the receipt of the Spirit of God.

However, sometimes when the Old Testament is referenced, people will say, “Well, we follow the New Testament.” in an attempt to dismiss an Old Testament passage. They need to remember the following words from the New Testament:

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Consequently, we can see that all of the Bible must be taken into account when we seek to understand doctrine.

Hope this helps. :tiphat:

I’ve seen the ocean before and it was indeed green. I don’t anticipate anyone accepting my testimony however on faith alone.

Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believed. (John 20:29)

Hello, heisenberg,

I explore the implications of these two opposing theologies with regards to the question of the salvation of non-Christians in the following essay on my site, if you are interested:

On the Salvation of non-Christians

Blessings to you!
scott
:slight_smile:

Imputed righteousness is the Protestant view that God covers us with Christ’s righteousness, like a holy blanket over us and when God sees us He sees Christ’s righteousness. Justification is forensic; that God is a judge Christ is our lawyer who intercedes for us. The problem with this is that God is primarily a Father, and a judge isn’t a Father to all, however a Father is both a Father and a judge but does so within the family covenant. The problem with imputed righteousness is that this view doesn’t actually eradicate our sin, just covers them up so that our sin still remains, it’s just hidden and we aren’t actually a “new” creation in Christ (2 Cor 5:17) just one covered up. And then one has to wonder what happens to that sin after death that is merely covered?

Catholics don’t have a problem with the concept of Christ covering us, but that He only does this is not the Scriptural model just part of it for He gives us His very life; we are partakers of His divine nature 1 Peter 1:4. When we are regenerated with grace John 3:5, Titus 3:5 we are infused with God’s grace and we ARE new creations in Christ (2 Cor 5:17) When God said in Genesis 1:3 “let there be light” He REALLY meant that there was going to be light, so that when God says you are holy, well you ARE holy! He infuses us with His righteousness since we are His children, He being our Father gives us His very life, 2 Peter 1:4. He justifies us much like a glass of water, the water being grace withing us, as we cooperate with His grace (2 Cor 6:1, 1 Cor 3:9) he gives us more grace so that our glass fills within us for we are part of His family, and of Christs body, the Church. Sin isn’t just missing the mark, but a lack of something; that being a lack of divine grace.

Excellent response, Bishopite! Couldn’t have said it better myself!
:smiley: :slight_smile:

Here are a few articles about Righteousness:

Righteousness and Merit (Catholic perspective)
by James Akin

cin.org/users/james/files/righteou.htm

Evaluating ECT’s The Gift of Salvation (Protestant perspective)
By Herb Samworth

solagroup.org/articles/understandingthebible/utb_0018.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.