In a France suspicious of religion, evangelicalism's message strikes a chord

The article opens with a look at one particular church, but later points out that the number of Evangelicals have grown ten fold during the past 50 years

But the [megachurch] is growing. Sunday services top 6,000 attendees on a regular basis. In fact, French scholars say, evangelicalism is likely the fastest-growing religion in France – defying all stereotypes about Europe’s most secular nation.

The reasons are manifold: growing minority populations in France from Africa and Asia are less strictly secular and more religious. Evangelicals offer a “friendlier” and less hierarchical model of worship, with more community warmth and room for emotive expression. Leaders say they “speak to the heart” in a Europe preoccupied with wealth and worldliness, and provide a haven in times of harsh economic setbacks.

“France itself is changing, and this is a reflection of this transition,” says Sebastian Fath, a researcher at France’s National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS) and an expert on evangelicalism.

news.yahoo.com/france-suspicious-religion-evangelicalisms-message-strikes-chord-214522258.html?_esi=1

Mr. Fath makes a controversial claim: that the growth of Evangelicalism is in some sense a rejection of Catholicism. He points to the egalitarian nature of French society, and states: "The French want to be Christian, but are fed up with authority in churches.”

Which only goes to show that the Holy spirit works in many ways…:thumbsup:

Peace
James

Paris has thriving Catholic parishes and Evangelical Churches

touchstonemag.com/archives/article.php?id=19-03-054-r

I don’t have any stats but you can see advertisements promoting evangelical Churches even here in Rome. They tend to advertise in things actual Italians not tourists would read like the sports pages of the local newspapaer, not a highbrow intellectual magazine.

(P.s. I won’t be able to respond as I go on retreat in 2 hours.)

And how strong has French Catholicism, let alone any form of Christianity, been since the French Revelution?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.