In a land of abundance, can there be gluttony?

I have always thought of gluttony as a mortal sin because the moral principle behind gluttony involves the assumption that the person is living in a land in which people are starving or severely lack food. Therefore, how can gluttony exist in our land of abundance?

Restaurants daily throw away good food that cannot be passed on to another. Farmers plow under tons of fresh crops because they can’t sell the produce. We are able to produce more food than we can eat for the first time in the history of the world. There is no reason for anyone in the USA to be hungry or starve because of the lack of food.

atassina
Enjoy a piece of cake with your espresso coffee with real whipped cream topped with fresh, zested, orange peel.

What you are describing is one of five different kinds of gluttony, “eating too much,” which is eventually not gluttony so much as greed or a lack of charity when it is a matter of others in your reasonable capacity to aid not having basics for themselves.

One can still exceed the amount needed for oneself and eat more than the body requires. You might find some dispute on whether the line is drawn just after one has his needs filled or just before it becomes unhealthy.

The five kinds of gluttony are: eating too much, too well, too quickly, too soon, too eagerly, or with too much preparation. One might say paying too much would exacerbate some of these.

That’s an interesting statement. I always associated it with “too much”, and then later figured out that “too well” also fit in there. Do you have a CCC or other reference handy?

Please give the reference in the CCC.

That’s only the moral principle behind gluttony in the Social Justice Warrior Catechism. Gluttony is a form of idolatry.

How is it a form of idolatry?

That’s six, one might say seven, which makes me think you’re making this up as you go. Who decides what an appropriate amount of preparation is?

Do you know what idolatry is?

sacred-texts.com/chr/aquinas/summa/sum405.htm

Whether the species of gluttony are fittingly distinguished?

I answer that, As stated above (A[1]), gluttony denotes inordinate concupiscence in eating. Now two things are to be considered in eating, namely the food we eat, and the eating thereof. Accordingly, the inordinate concupiscence may be considered in two ways. First, with regard to the food consumed: and thus, as regards the substance or species of food a man seeks “sumptuous”—i.e. costly food; as regards its quality, he seeks food prepared too nicely—i.e. “daintily”; and as regards quantity, he exceeds by eating “too much.”

Secondly, the inordinate concupiscence is considered as to the consumption of food: either because one forestalls the proper time for eating, which is to eat “hastily,” or one fails to observe the due manner of eating, by eating “greedily.”

The Summa is not a Magisterial teaching.

So since the Summa is not Magisterial teaching, we would be less likely to find wisdom and an accurate sense of morality there than in your message board post?

No. My personal uneducated, slightly informed, non-authoritative opinion compares to the Summa in the same way a lightning bug compares to lightning. St. Thomas is the lightning to my battery.

atassina
enjoy the cake

PS- If possible, post something from the CCC.

Sorry, I guess I split up one into two. Delicacy could be subdivided.

Thomas and Gregory are good authorities. If you just want to read the CCC, why bother with a thread??? :confused:

I’m asking you for a clarification regarding the CCC. Didn’t you post a reference to the CCC without a paragraph number? If so, please provide the paragraph number. Thanks.

And yet there still are.

Don’t forget the form of gluttony that states “I’m not eating/drinking it, but no one else can, either”, thus throwing away much excess food (and yes, I’m aware that most states require food that has been prepared in a restaurant but not served in a specific time frame be discarded). In essence, the sin of gluttony is the sin of being wasteful.

Gluttony has facets. Obviously the simple greed aspect is clear. But we are called to live a god life. Eating yourself to morbid obesity on a diet of twinkies void of nutrients… is clearly mot the moral way. We don’t have glorified bodies, but we can make attempt to have some form there of to live our lives for the glory of God. When you are evangelizing as Christ calls us to do, if people see a catholic as a slobbenly glutton what example is that? If you are a fit healthy wonderful person… maybe just a bit more Christ like? I never saw the Jesus pot belly o.O…

And I just made me feel bad about myself errr… got to cut down the ice cream :confused:

DCNBILL,
I thought this question would arise. Are you referring to:

1. There still are hungry people in the USA because they can’t get food?

2. There still are sins of gluttony?

clarification please

enjoy the cake

The moral principle behind gluttony prohibition is that a person is supposed to pursue the eternal goods, not the temporal material ones. It’s like with sex: as sex is to be ordered for procreation, the nutrition is to be ordered for survival and health.

Gluttony is not a priori about our relation to food production in our nation, but rather, the relation between our soul, our body, and God Himself.

ICXC NIKA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.