In a manner of speaking

Catholic doctrine says:
…we are therefore said to be justified gratuitously, because none of those things that precede justification, whether faith or works, merit the grace of justification. (Trent VI, Chapter VIII)

Therefore, it is true, that we are saved by faith and works, but only in a manner of speaking.

Our faith does not save, we don’t save ourselves.
Our works do not save, we don’t save ourselves.

God saves those who demonstrate their faith in works of love. God grants eternal life to those who keep His Commandments.

Romans 2:13
(For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

What say you?

Sincerely,

De Maria

I’ve heard that LIFE is a gift,
SALVATION is a gift and
GRACE is a gift!

Here is how I think of it. God offers us His grace, and His goodness. And we may accept it. But accepting Him entails accepting Him - i.e, everything He is, stands for, etc.

It’s like the EULA on a computer game - by agreeing to it, you agree to do with the game what you agreed to in the contract, and not to do with it what the company that has the EULA forbids.

So when you agree to have Jesus as Lord and Saviour, you agree to be ruled by Him, and to obey Him, by definition.

I promised to give my son a macbook, IF he graduated from school.

God promised to give us salvation, IF we keep the Commandments.

Exodus 20:6
King James Version (KJV)
6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Some gifts come with conditions.

Sincerely,

De Maria

And THAT is directly from Scripture:
Hebrews 5:9
And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

We cooperate with grace.

-Tim-

Exactly! But it is God who justifies those who do His will:
CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 2020 (288 bytes ) preview document matches
It is granted us through Baptism. It conforms us to the righteousness of God, who justifies us. It has for its goal the glory of God and of Christ, and the gift of eternal life. It …
URL: scborromeo.org/ccc/para/2020.htm

CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 1994  (507 bytes )  preview document matches

Justification is the most excellent work of God’s love made manifest in Christ Jesus and granted by the Holy Spirit. It is the opinion of St. Augustine that "the justification of …

God justifies the righteous:
CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 1990 (260 bytes ) preview document matches
Justification detaches man from sin which contradicts the love of God, and purifies his heart of sin. Justification follows upon God’s merciful initiative of offering forgiveness. …

Revelation 22:11
King James Version (KJV)
11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

Romans 2:13
King James Version (KJV)
13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

God justifies those who seek to be justified:
Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Paul explained it very simply.

***for God is at work in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. *(Phillipians 2:13)

-Tim-

therefore workout your salvation with fear and trembling. Phil 2:12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.